Airliner III Group Build Chat

feoffee2

Any tips on an airline that is good looking and easy?

Easyjet? (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Your best bet is to have a good look at the decal makers' websites, F-DCAL, 26, Nazca, 8a, V1, Drawdecal and any others you can think of. For good looking and easy you're probably thinking about a scheme which is basically white but with plenty of colour in the decals. Beauty is vey much in the eye of the beholder but I've always liked the A340 in the Emirates scheme which is available from F-DCAL. Another nice and unusual scheme is Surinam which is done by V1. It's on my own "at some point if i live long enough" list.

HTH

• Like 1

I'd love to join! It'd be my first Airliner Group Build so don't expect much. I'd love to give it a try!

Thanks,

Drew

Edit: I just realized it's the 18th... Any way I can still hop in? it'd be great to try my hand at one of these.\

Second Edit: I also realized this starts in July. my mistake... Ignore that ^

Edited by DrewP
  • Like 1

Drew, the general rule with GBs is that you can enter with an unstarted* model right up until closing time (if you think you're hard enough to finish it that quickly).

* 'unstarted' usually means 'less than 25% complete' negotiated with GB hosts if there's any doubt about eligibility.

• Like 1

Drew, the general rule with GBs is that you can enter with an unstarted* model right up until closing time

Ok thanks! I wasn't really planning on doing my MD80 because it's almost finished. The only thing I was worried about was I am in the process of moving to a different state halfway across the country. Thanks for the help on what "unstarted" meant, I'll have to bring it up with the mods. Thanks for the help!

All the best,

Drew

I'm planning on doing the old Bandai YS-11 kit in Mohican ANA colors. Might even build it with open doors and the whole set up, seeing as it has an interior and basic ground equipment. I saw someone who made a base with it as well and am still deciding on whether I want a base for it too. If that doesn't work out I'll go with a Northeast Glencoe Viscount. This will be a good time to start trying out baremetal/Alclad.

Edited by DrewP
  • Like 2

Hello all, I have decided on the 1/144 Welsh Models Boeing 757 in Royal Nepal colours.

Or a Twin Otter in Royal Nepal colours.

Or both!

Cheers, Ray

PS Roll on 16th July...

• Like 4

What a coincidence, I've got two Eastern Express 737s (or 'B-733' and 'B-734', as they insist on calling them) lined up, possibly to be built during this GB!

Mine should be here in a couple of days...been mentally planning on how to paint that scheme!

Ryan

I'll be interested too if only because I wonder why anyone would want to buy Eastern Express when the Daco Skyline kit is readily available. I fully respect every modeller's right to build as he/she wishes and the Daco kit isn't perfect but it's still the best injection-moulded 737 by a country mile and one of the best airliner kits ever produced.

• Like 1

Hey Skoda I was really curious to see one of these EE kits build up in capable hands. With the lack of build logs on these on the net, I figured I'd take the plunge and build one step by step for others to see.

I'm aware the Daco kits is great...I've never seen one of those up close either!

Respectfully,

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer

One of the great things about group builds is that we learn from each other! I've never seen the EE kits although they're rumoured to be "heavily influenced" by the Minicraft version. The Daco kit has some fit issues, particularly around the wing/fuselage joint, but with a bit of effort it makes a decent model. Here's a picture of one of mine on display at the East of Scotland model show last year

SAM_0771_zpsl5cen01a.jpg

• Like 10

I'll be interested too if only because I wonder why anyone would want to buy Eastern Express when the Daco Skyline kit is readily available. I fully respect every modeller's right to build as he/she wishes and the Daco kit isn't perfect but it's still the best injection-moulded 737 by a country mile and one of the best airliner kits ever produced.

For me the decision to buy the EE kits is a very simple one. I live in Russia (long story), and because international shipping into here is very complicated and often downright impossible the Daco kits is quite hard to get. The Eastern Express 737s, on the other hand, are available in abundance - seriously, model stores are piled high with them - and are very cheap, while also being an excellent base to apply aftermarket decals to.

• Like 3

Picked up an S&M (fnarr) Eagle Airways Viscount 800 at the weekend so that might make an appearance too.

It's a lovely kit. Here is my effort (in different livery) from a few years ago.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935480-je-suis-un-rock-star/?hl=viscount#entry1250809

014.jpg

And given this photo:

019.jpg

can you guess what livery my GB entry will be in...? :)

• Like 6

The rule is that the model has to be less than 25% complete right? I'm going on holiday on the 13th and will be back just in time for the GB, will I be fine doing the fuselage up or painting the gear bays (of my entry) before I go?

• Like 1