Airliner III Group Build Chat

feoffee2

In this case should it be renamed to "Civil Aviation GB"?

In my opinion neither freighters (does not matter whether converted or not) nor fire bombers are "airliners"

Thanks for the comment however the previous airliner gb did allow cargo aircraft and a few were built so that is why we are allowing them. Also we believe fire bombers should be allowed as well as some are converted airliners. In my eyes an old 747 which has been converted to cargo is still an airliner.

Thanks

Thanks

I hadn't come to a decision, but was thinking about Railway Air Services (pre-war) if I can work out the colours, or British European Airways (post-war).

The boxing has Air Courier markings, though I suspect there were two versions issued by Heller, and these may be the earlier set (black codes where, maybe, they should be coloured ?).

All good, happy to have this one included Robert.

What about ex-military types in civil colours? I'm thinking specifically of the TAA and QANTAS Catalinas that ran regular passenger/freight ops to various remote bits of Australia and dominions in the 40s- 70s. And while I think about it (although not for me), the BOAC marked Mosquitos during the war.

I think these would also be accepted since they are wearing Airline markings.

In this case should it be renamed to "Civil Aviation GB"?

In my opinion neither freighters (does not matter whether converted or not) nor fire bombers are "airliners"

I can see where you are coming from Pin, the main theme is Airliner 'types' and some derivatives. I think Luke (feofee2) is trying to allow as much leeway under the 'Airliners' title as possible but the GB vote was for Airliners generally.

I suppose in hindsight we should have called it a Civil Aviation GB but we all voted for a Airliner GB.

I can see where you are coming from Pin, the main theme is Airliner 'types' and some derivatives. I think Luke (feofee2) is trying to allow as much leeway under the 'Airliners' title as possible but the GB vote was for Airliners generally.

I suppose in hindsight we should have called it a Civil Aviation GB but we all voted for a Airliner GB.

I agree with you here, maybe allowing fire bombers isn't right but as with previous GB's I think we should allow cargo aircraft. Thanks

Isn't there a type of expanding foam that keeps on expanding over time? I have thought about this a few times but always been put off/forget which one it is.....

I'm sure Iain (32ndSIG) has mentioned/brought it up once or twice before. Would be very useful as I have a 1/72nd Martin Mars sat waiting..

The single pack foam is next to useless IMHO - can have curing/expansion problems and is nowhere near as strong/useful as the two-pack polyerethane foam.

Take a look at the Alec Tiranti site.

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great that this GB is on the calendar for next year.

Now for a change I would like to get a few things organised in advance of the GB.

I've decided to build this

imagejpg2_zps1573586b.jpg

Now as this kit is to be kind, basic, where can I get things like strutts and decals from, both of which are notably absent for this kit ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Pat, the only things that come to mind are the Contrail/Aeroclub strut packs in plastic, and in brass there was a product called 'Strutz'. I haven't seen hide nor hair of either product for many years - Aeroclub's John Adams may be able to help you out, it's worth an IM.

Failing that, it's fine brass tube and squash it a bit - right royal pain in the behind, but doable. This link may help

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71528-plastic-rod/?pid=782721&mode=threaded#entry782721

As for decals.... mask and paint?

• Like 1

I don't know if I've expressed my interest for this one.

On my display shelves I have a BEA Trident in red square livery and a BEA Viscount, again in red square livery.

So I'm thinking about a Vickers Vanguard. I just have to work out a suitable livery... :hmmm:

• Like 1

I've been thinking more and more about this GB. I remember as a kid building the Airfix Boeing 737 in the iconic Lufthansa livery. I think I want to do it again. But do I build a 737-200 or the shorter 737-100? Of course that's in addition to the BEA Vanguard.

Looking forward to this GB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ordered a Hasegawa 1/200 B738 a while ago, but due to a shipping mix-up it only arrived yesterday and I'd already started on a different project, so the 737 is going in the stash temporarily.

Long story short: I'm in for this GB. :)

• Like 2

Well I astill have not decided on a build yet. Probably because my airliner stash is too big! I just started 2 B777s to fill the gap between now and the GB strat :D

The question is should I go 1/72 or 1/144?

Well I astill have not decided on a build yet. Probably because my airliner stash is too big! I just started 2 B777s to fill the gap between now and the GB strat :D

The question is should I go 1/72 or 1/144?

Go for 1/144.

Then you get more room for more models;-)

(My little penny)

• Like 1

That is one heavy build schedule Luke, do you think you will finish them all?

I usually only manage to finish one model per GB, but I hope to get at least 2 done this time around (to make up for the one I did not finish in the last Airliner GB)

What schemes are you planning for the builds?

Go for 1/144.

Then you get more room for more models;-)

(My little penny)

I suppose so Ørjan, I have word the QANTAS Retro Roo 2 decal will be ready soon from a local manufacturer, I think I might go the B737 and B767 in my signature. But then again I have an A380 (or 2) to build as well, QF32 anyone?

I'm in! I'll save my newly arrived 777 for it :D Am looking forward to this one for sure - it looks like a fantastic kit

Which scheme are you thinking Si? I am about to get one of these and have the Virgin Aus decals I could put on it.