Revell Spitfire Mk.XVI (ICM molds) - 1:48

Hello !

It's time for me to publish some pictures of my last build, a 1:48 Spitfire Mk.XVI from Revell (ref.04661).

The reproduced plane represent the Spitfire Mk.XVI serial TB247 - coded GW o W which belonged to the 340th RAF (Free)French Squadron near the end of 1945.

This plane was piloted by Mister Jacques REMLINGER that i had the chance to meet many years ago.

As there is no existing decals set to reproduce his plane, i had to create all the markings and to print them on water decal paper sheet.

The genuine kit is designed to allows only two options :

- All the engine cowl parts closed (and no engine in the plane)

or

- All the engine cowl parts removed and so, in this case... the plane is fitted with his Merlin engine.

I was not satisfied with these choices, so i decided to modify many parts of the kit in the purpose of allowing the engine to be mounted in the plane's airframe AND to be able to be hidden behind a removable engine cowl pannel.

The fate made that Plastix started to build the same Spitfire nearly at the same time.

It's very nice to have another member building the same plane as the one you are building : This created a kind of positive emulation / challenge spirit thanks to which both of us had done his best to equal the work of the other builder and always in a friendly spirit.

Thanks to Miggers that provided us a lot of very nice pictures of the Merlin, we could manage to do a lot of scratch work to improve the provided merlin that suffered a rather important lack of details, even if this Mk.XVI kit (a Revell roboxing of the ICM kit) is considerated as one of the best at this scale.

THAT WAS WONDERFUL THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN MY FRIENDS FOR ALL THESE GOOD MOMENTS ! :speak_cool:

Well... Enough talking... This is the pictures :

Engine cowl closed :

_PCH3852.jpg

_PCH3855.jpg

Then Engine cowl opened :

_PCH3854.jpg

The underside of the Lady :

_PCH3842.jpg

_PCH3856.jpg

And finally some pictures taken using a paper printed landscape i made from some IL2 Cliffs of Dovers Combat flight sim's mission editor screen shots:

_PCH5496.jpg

_PCH5534.jpg

_PCH5517.jpg

_PCH5524.jpg

I hope you will enjoy as many as i enjoyed building this kit !

The W.I.P. of my Mk.XVI is available here :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959134-spitfire-mkxvi-revell-icm-molds-148/

Plastix's excellent W.I.P. is available here :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959827-another-revell-icm-148-mkxvi-spitfire-base-and-ground-crew-finished/

And the R.F.I. thread for his marvelous Spitfire Mk.XVI is available here :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969553-another-148-revell-icm-mkxvi-spitfire/

Have a nice evening !

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 17

Lovely work. There's so many particular aspects of this one but the stand-out features for me are the unusual markings and your ability to make the separate cowlings fit so well. Great job :coolio:

• Like 1

Hi Pascal,

Stunning Spitfire! She looks even better in the new photos! Brilliant! Well done!

Thank you for your company during the builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

very nice

I've collected a good few of the ICM kits as you can get them for peanuts on ebay, they have their faults but i love all the build options available in them, wing tips, slipper tanks etc.

are they really the same molds as the Revell kits ???? how come the revell kits go for so much more ???

• Like 1

She looks breathtakingly different to 'Stix's Spit and equally superb in a different way.

Very big well done Pascal.

Those decals came up well in the end.

I think it'd be great if the mods could possibly sticky yours and 'Stix's build threads

as both a guide and inspiration to those that have the ICM/Revell Spit kits to

demonstrate what can really be achieved with them.

• Like 2

Fantastic! Love the paint job and the pics taken with background are lovely. Any chance someone can do a little tutorial on doing shots like this, how to set up etc? Would love to do with my recently finished MkI :)

Thanks a lot Mixup_1

I tried to write a little tutorial for you :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969852-tuto-photographing-your-models-on-a-diorama/

I hope this can help

best regards

• Like 1