FROSTY HARRIER GR3 FOR TELFORD WILL I FINISH IN TIME..

Rob,

A close match to Dark Admiralty Grey can be achieved by adding a few drops of white to some Dark Sea Grey to lighten it.

Mark.

Cheers Mark, So I take it its betwean Medium sea grey and DSG then, Cool.

Rob ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve Rob. I like the sound of the Dio, will be interesting to see how it turns out. If it's anything like your Vulcans I'm sure we're in for a treat.

Cheers Toms111, I hope she comes out ok.

Its only going to be a quick build as Telford has suddenly arrived and most of what I have planned for it will not happen this year, Time is the enemy again... I was going to get AM parts for it like a new seat, wheel wells if they exist, I don't know what is available for this to be honest, Except for the pito tube which looks very nice.

Here are some of the components after priming receiving some paint, The intake on one side done with the purple tinted Green, and the seat black as per instructions but I am not sure about this,, Suggestions to improve the seat are welcome, Not something I have done much of before.

34036B4F-81A8-42D0-A56B-6871075D7414-263

Considering this is brushed on silver right out the bottle I am impressed with it, Its very reflective and quite smooth, Next I will give it a clear coat of some sort and fill in the gaps black to make it look deeper and finer.

3E17683D-D02A-4059-A3FD-F88BC24E4651-263

Cheers Rob ;)

Hi Rob, I use the Americana Decoart varnishes,I used to get mine from a local art shop in the UK, I didn't realise they did metallics as they only ever stocked the varnishes.

Less than 2 weeks to go ( isn't it annoying being told how little time you have by everyone). Get a wriggle on!

John

• Like 1

Hi Rob, I use the Americana Decoart varnishes,I used to get mine from a local art shop in the UK, I didn't realise they did metallics as they only ever stocked the varnishes.

Less than 2 weeks to go ( isn't it annoying being told how little time you have by everyone). Get a wriggle on!

John

Hi John, Yep the do Metallic's alright including about 4 shades of gold plus colored metallic's like Metallic white and pearl white, They to a pearl medium to make any color pearled too, They also have a very extensive range of useful colours,

I got mine from HobbyCraft but they don't do the full range It seems. I think there is 200 plus colours,

It was their varnish I bought to try and its amazing stuff, Though the Matt is more satin, However it gives a nice scale effect it seems, I wondered about adding some matting agent too it.

I am amazed how well they brush.

2 weeks to go.. More like 2 EEKKKS to go lol.

Cheers Rob ;)

I have brushed over the engine blades with black paint then gone over it with a very wet brush to make it act as a wash. and painted the behind the engine face black. I also opted for lightened Light aircraft grey as thats what it looked like in this photo. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/570479477768618596/

B8C48CF4-E78E-43E5-9C66-D128131CB135-263

0FB910B8-3DE6-41E0-8A01-CF978B7FB15B-263

I painted the insides of the intakes one side brushed with my green and the other with Humbrol DSG direct from a rattle can.

6ABF00D7-4263-42AE-98F8-65AE6ACE461A-306

827765AF-346A-45DC-9F9F-7D8E60C486B1-306

I did not want to ruin my last tub of HU164 in case I need to touch this one up later, So I had a loot what else I had and went for Revell Dunkelgrau which is lighter that the DSG but darker than MSG and has a greeny blue tinge to it.

This is for the pit I am not sure if the seat should just be black but this is it at the moment.

2DE8E8D8-AC56-43F1-B87F-4C720600F95E-306

7C22C2A9-3C84-4FD4-9F6D-2B4572873D40-306

B922809E-4CED-4DBF-B2B7-14D6079951E0-306

Hopefully I can get the two halves together soon.

Cheers Rob ;)

Just caught up with this Rob...I know you said you were going to do it but good lord...less than two weeks !!. My Telford stuff has been knocking around for at least 6 months and still not quite ready....a whole cathedral eh, in 1/48th !..........glad you're thinking small with this amount of time left !! :analintruder: (have you thought about how many tables you're going to need ?....you could do Cologne and shove it on our Bomber Command table if worst came to worst !!)..

• Like 1

Just caught up with this Rob...I know you said you were going to do it but good lord...less than two weeks !!. My Telford stuff has been knocking around for at least 6 months and still not quite ready....a whole cathedral eh, in 1/48th !..........glad you're thinking small with this amount of time left !! :analintruder: (have you thought about how many tables you're going to need ?....you could do Cologne and shove it on our Bomber Command table if worst came to worst !!)..

Well it seems to become a bit of sport with me always trying to finish stuff for shows, First Cosford 2013 with the little Vulcan B1s keeping me up till 4 am the day of the show, Then the first Telford show I went too that seen me last year up till 3 am finishing Vulcan XH535 and the MIG 25 on the morning of the show, Then this year there was me up till 7am with the Big Vulcan for this years Cosford Show with 1hours sleep, Plus last years Spit that I made for my dad and was up till the early hours of Christmas morning finishing it for his pressent.

So I hope I get these done in time... As I quite fancy being awake for a show for a change..HAHA, I think I can see where this is going.

Good game good game..

Cheers Rob ;)

Well doing the turbine took longer than I had hoped but its now in the aircraft, Just need to decal the pit and paint the seat and I can close her up.

46DC35C7-704F-4E24-90EE-1A1928AB226F-153

76F0D570-0B31-4B3C-81F1-F0B48391E09B-153

The fit of the instrument panel and tub needs some cutting and filing to allow the fuselage to close but not too bad.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 3

Ooh a Harrier. Cool :thumbsup: Will be watching this one take shape and interested to see how the frost effect turns out.

....a whole cathedral eh, in 1/48th !..........glad you're thinking small with this amount of time left !! :analintruder: (have you thought about how many tables you're going to need ?....you could do Cologne and shove it on our Bomber Command table if worst came to worst !!)..

Perhaps under the Bomber Command table would be more accurate? :whistle:

• Like 4

Rob,

A close match to Dark Admiralty Grey can be achieved by adding a few drops of white to some Dark Sea Grey to lighten it.

Mark.

Nick Greenall -ex Harrier SIG C/O always used Ocean Grey with some white added. I've used that formula on my Kinetic Shar2 and it works well.....

• Like 1

Ooh a Harrier. Cool :thumbsup: Will be watching this one take shape and interested to see how the frost effect turns out.

Perhaps under the Bomber Command table would be more accurate? :whistle:

Yep it would give the bombers a chance to drop over it ;) , Apparently its 28mm scale whatever that is.

Nick Greenall -ex Harrier SIG C/O always used Ocean Grey with some white added. I've used that formula on my Kinetic Shar2 and it works well.....

Well its lucky that this Revell grey looks a bit like Humbrol Ocean grey. Cheers. ;)

Looking good Rob!:-)

Cheers mate :)

I was Tempted to open up the intake doors but with time so short I will keep to plan and do this oob as its main function is to demonstrate Frost on the airframe hopefully,

I think this is a great kit I wonder if we will soon get a re tool blown up version of the new 72nd job, GR1 and a few trainers too would be nice.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

I managed to get it closed up today, The fit was pretty good considering the age of the kit, I put some tape on just in case while its sets, The decals are a nice addition to the basic pit but a bit over size on the main panel,

I just need to finish the front and rear joins in the pit then fit the clear part, Head up display I guess ?

A5C81C6F-CA21-4233-8D16-E39C5F755934-507

67498131-3698-4F0C-A5E9-179E7ECFD8D6-507

22A5CEA2-1540-4939-9BAC-CCFB6B5AC722-507

Looks a bit more Harrier like now.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 3

Looking forward to see how this one turns out, it could open up a whole new way of displaying models especially as i keep screwing up the canopies!

Keep up the good work

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Looking forward to see how this one turns out, it could open up a whole new way of displaying models especially as i keep screwing up the canopies!

Keep up the good work

Cheers now

Bob

Indeed, The Precision Ice and Snow sure has changed the way I choose to model now opening up new possibilities and seeing the model as part of a larger model , Getting me into dios and thinking about the surroundings,

I am using this as a test bed to show that the snow can be applied to a model without fear, It is a strange process to take a finished model and suddenly shake powder over it at the end, Its just like icing a cake.

Cheers Rob

Getting there and almost a week and a half to go

Good decision to stay OOB re: the intake auxiliary doors too

Looks nice

Yep cause we all know it would probably take 2 weeks just to sort them.. I do not know if they could be shut on the ground or always open. I notice they close in flight, and seem to part close sometimes. Curious design, Someone on here explained it once but I can't remember fully how it works.

Cheers Rob ;)

With this and your cathedral on the go, your progress is superb. What is of particular interest to me, though, is the precision ice and snow. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Keep pushing.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

With this and your cathedral on the go, your progress is superb. What is of particular interest to me, though, is the precision ice and snow. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Keep pushing.

Cheers,

Tom.

Great stuff, Well if your keen to see some here is my first attempt at a dio using it and an initial review I did when I was first approached by Steve and Vanessa at Precision Ice and Snow.

I can remember back then I was very skeptical till he showed me how to use it and its so much fun and so easy, But you can do all sorts with it, Steve has taken the product further now and started to develop smashable ice for dios using resins, Ideal for running a Tank through or maybe a plane crash into an icy lake, Its cool to be able to model one of weathers most beautiful but deadly elements, One that was often in warfare and often over looked as we often model summer scenes.

I have my self thinking of Band of Brothers now.. What an amazing series that was.

Land Rover in Orchard Dio:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947391-land-rover-in-the-snow-my-first-diorama/

Before it was snowed and the long review of it that I believe I need to get back too. I still have not finished the Snow Man.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945975-precision-ice-and-snow-review-of-the-new-amazing-snow-effect/page-3#entry1416643

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

Great stuff, Well if your keen to see some here is my first attempt at a dio using it and an initial review I did when I was first approached by Steve and Vanessa at Precision Ice and Snow.

I can remember back then I was very skeptical till he showed me how to use it and its so much fun and so easy, But you can do all sorts with it, Steve has taken the product further now and started to develop smashable ice for dios using resins, Ideal for running a Tank through or maybe a plane crash into an icy lake, Its cool to be able to model one of weathers most beautiful but deadly elements, One that was often in warfare and often over looked as we often model summer scenes.

I have my self thinking of Band of Brothers now.. What an amazing series that was.

Land Rover in Orchard Dio:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947391-land-rover-in-the-snow-my-first-diorama/

Before it was snowed and the long review of it that I believe I need to get back too. I still have not finished the Snow Man.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945975-precision-ice-and-snow-review-of-the-new-amazing-snow-effect/page-3#entry1416643

Cheers Rob ;)

Bloody hell, that land rover dio looks awesome. The snow effect on the windows of the land rover looks so realistic.

Fantastic mate.

Tom.

• Like 1

Missed that Landrover diorama but it does look good. Will be a good effect on the Harrier I think. As for those intakes and their auxiliary doors - the small square doors are designed to operate by suction from air pressure. At rest gravity lets the upper ones fall open while the lower ones fall closed. Start the engine and suction through the main intake pulls them all open to feed more air in. Once flying, however, airspeed caused lower pressure across the outside of the doors to keep them shut and reduce drag. There are, therefore, three settings for them; all shut in flight, all open in hover or on ground with engine running, uppers open and lowers shut on ground with engine off. Either that or make an intake cover to hide them and keep all the snow out.

As for your Kestrel in camouflage; most likely a P.1127 (RAF). These were the 'missing link' between the Kestrel and Harrier GR.1 and looked a lot like the GR.1 apart from varying differences mainly around the intakes and exhausts.

• Like 2

Bloody hell, that land rover dio looks awesome. The snow effect on the windows of the land rover looks so realistic.

Fantastic mate.

Tom.

Cheers mate just some hairs spray and 3 or 4 coats if I remember right.

Missed that Landrover diorama but it does look good. Will be a good effect on the Harrier I think. As for those intakes and their auxiliary doors - the small square doors are designed to operate by suction from air pressure. At rest gravity lets the upper ones fall open while the lower ones fall closed. Start the engine and suction through the main intake pulls them all open to feed more air in. Once flying, however, airspeed caused lower pressure across the outside of the doors to keep them shut and reduce drag. There are, therefore, three settings for them; all shut in flight, all open in hover or on ground with engine running, uppers open and lowers shut on ground with engine off. Either that or make an intake cover to hide them and keep all the snow out.

As for your Kestrel in camouflage; most likely a P.1127 (RAF). These were the 'missing link' between the Kestrel and Harrier GR.1 and looked a lot like the GR.1 apart from varying differences mainly around the intakes and exhausts.

WOW thats new on me, So let me get this straight,

I thought the P1127 Was a one off early design with little wings an slanted back intakes as per the Airfix kit,

Then the Kestrals

Then the GR1s , However this is a mix a P1127 , an RAF version that I have never seen before,. I never knew or heard anything about that,.

Got any more Info on these, I am also particularly interested in Wrap around GR1s/3S

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

I spent some time going over the whole fuselage and wings before fitting with Mylar sanding stick from little cars. They are great for getting shut of the raised panel lines. I am leaving her smooth as looking at the real things I cant see many panel lines and to be honest I prefer them smooth like this with a hint of the panels.

It looks more real to me (No time to scribe, Don't enjoy scribing ;) ). Thats one reason I like these older kits and this must be one of "Classic" Airfix's better offerings.

They really got the shape right and for me that's what I am looking for more than anything.

522F6DA5-7C23-4A79-BEE2-1A28D57CFE98-152

89E1C971-9D67-4FF0-AF57-57FECDF47136-152

0BF6E12F-6C1B-4389-B544-53090171101D-152

I have not started with the filler yet this is jut the normal fit of the kit and its pretty good, I will need to do very little sanding and filling, Just a few drops of MrSurfacer 500 on the fuselage and wing roots and nearly time for Painting ;)

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 6