FROSTY HARRIER GR3 FOR TELFORD WILL I FINISH IN TIME..

Just starting this thread off pictures soon to follow, I have another race against time to get some models made in time for Telford show,

This is one of a few I hope to get done for the Precision Ice and Snow table.

I intend to do a standard wraparound Harrier GR3 OOB *(well tempted by some am maybe) sat on the corner of an airfield where some snow fall from previous days has been swept away and fresh frost has settled on and around the Harrier. Hopefully so you can still see the cammo and roundels through the frost, So I will be using a 3M spray to get a fine effect.

I am starting this off now as I need to ask a few question about the Harrier GR3 concerning painting of the intakes.

The instructions call for the cup where the turbine face to sit in to be painted black , I thought white , Has anyone got good shots of the intakes on a GR3 in the wraparound scheme. I take it the green and grey extends inside and then the inner colour deeper inside starts.

I am thinking of adding fod covers but still want to paint the insides.

So the race begins firstly with me clearing off the work bench so I can start..

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

Rob,

If it's a GR3, then white intakes are not applicable. On Harrier GR1 and GR3, the intake colour is whatever the surrounding camo colour is, right up to the fan blades of the compressor. Tis generally means Dark Green on the starboard side and Dark Sea Grey on the port side. If you're doing the Airfix 1/48th Harrier GR3, then the notes by Nick Greenall at the Harrier SIG site are invaluable,

Harrier Build Notes

I look forward to seeing this one when you're done!

Mark.

• Like 2

Cheers guys, I had hoped I would have started it today, But it will be tomorrow now. Thought as much regarding the intakes. Just the instructions threw me a little.

Harry yep its the 48th Airfix one, Really looking forward to making it for a few reasons, 1 it will be my first 48th jet since childhood, 2 I have fond memories of making this kit as a child I remember I left the bare plastic as the camo grey and just painted the green, This one will be different here.. 3 I love Harriers Next to the Vulcan its harriers I make the most of it seems. Cheers for the notes ;)

As for setting it is not going to be based on any particular historic event just the assumption that any harrier must have seen some frosty mornings in its life.

Darth I am no Guru, More a Guff haha.

Biggles I have a clock yes, But I am not much good at doing anything with them other than looking at them and saying, "x o'clock... you cant be serious... already !"

Orjan I will post some soon. Not took any yet but here is a cool Video of a GR3 performing.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Looking forward to this Rob and I will be along to see it on display at Telford. No pressure :wicked:

HAHA, well I can always bring the thing on sprue to show you ahah.

Just found this on youtube, Footage of a GR3 doing multiple pure vertical take off and landings rather than the more common STOVL run jump take off.

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Hmm

It has come to my attention that Rob is being daft again

Has anyone advised his carer?

Ah soddit, dont bother the carer we'll watch over him and ensure he leaves here

Harrierred

C'mon old chap, ticketty tick tock

No mucking about finding fillums to watch, take a fillum of you making this

only two weeks to go he he...

Mad I tell you maddddd.....

To be honest rob I like a good Harrier meself, you will show me whether I want to do one soon

• Like 2

May I pull up a chair Rob? Jets not really my thing but a few do catch my eye the harrier being one of them so I will just sit in the corner taking notes if that's ok with you?!:-)

Sure thing mate, I am not going to be doing much other than OOB with this one, Time dictates that it must be kept simple so it will be interesting to make it the best I can and see how good the old kit looks as is, I may do a few mods to it but

I will see how it goes, I am not going mad in the pit as the canopy will be covered in frost.

Cheers Rob ;)

Hmm

It has come to my attention that Rob is being daft again

Has anyone advised his carer?

Ah soddit, dont bother the carer we'll watch over him and ensure he leaves here

Harrierred

C'mon old chap, ticketty tick tock

No mucking about finding fillums to watch, take a fillum of you making this

only two weeks to go he he...

Mad I tell you maddddd.....

To be honest rob I like a good Harrier meself, you will show me whether I want to do one soon

I do love the way you make your comments interesting and entertaining to read Bill, You have inspired me to try and do the same, The Harrier is always a nice thing to build in my eyes, Lovely machine.

Cheers Rob ;)

Let battle commence...

B88288E9-2C89-46ED-B8A9-27751398B6C1-238

I picked this up for a what I thought was a bargain price of less than a 10ner from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390496912466?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They still have 9 left so if your looking for one 7 quid cheaper than normal go shop.

The decal sheet looks very nice and the molding looks very good considering the age of this kit, It has raised panel lines which personally I like as on a real aircraft you cant see trenches everywhere, I will be sanding mine off and then drawing on certain areas with a pencil later, I have taken to doing this recently, Its fun, Looks ok and rescribing is not my favourite job. ;)

I have made a start on the parts, First job as ever is the Cockpit area. I read that the pit should be painted Dark Admiralty grey of which I do not have any so I will try and mix something similar up.

FD2370E9-EA34-4FF0-8F49-114BD8240D44-238

As well as this I need to build a Gothic Cathedral for Telford too, Now were is the coffee.. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969585-evil-gothic-cathedral-in-snow/

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Coffee after Rob, modelling first

We have whips to lash getting you a'going

Looks a nice model

hmm maybe

Its defiantly a nice model mate, Fits together pretty good too, Something about 48TH models I have missed is the "presence" they have. I do miss building them but the space limitations limit me in this, I fondly remember building 48TH Italeri Tornado's and Hawks as a kid, Along with this and the Airfix Buccaneer, The Bucc was a challenge I remember having to glue the fuselage in sections due to the fit issues., Fun. The bucc is the only one to survive in the loft albeit incomplete,

I may turn her into a scrap dio one day.

I am trying to hammer through the build on this one , Started fitting the interior parts, I am getting close to paint time I need to mix up something like dark admiralty grey.

49B9BF2E-FCB0-4BAC-B744-BF4C56D4328B-238

F7042884-A7E5-41D7-B551-B257D5E31E4D-238

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

good man

chin up

nose down, grindstone's over there

Looks like a nice build

I have a 48 scale Naval Lynx sitting in another room for when I can't model 'gentleman' scale any more

That day is getting perilously close I fear

with you all the way old chum

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

good man

chin up

nose down, grindstone's over there

Looks like a nice build

I have a 48 scale Naval Lynx sitting in another room for when I can't model 'gentleman' scale any more

That day is getting perilously close I fear

with you all the way old chum

:thumbsup2:

Cheers Perdu and don't think about it just keep going Gentleman scale all you can. (I'm guessing thats 72nd).

Also feel free to crack the whip , Whips can make life more interesting I hear,,, :yikes::whip:

If you got a navy lynx you should get one of these and a sea harrier, I am told that these Airfix kits are considered to be the best shape wise in this scale, I am not sure anyone else does a 48th GR3 I know Tamiya also does a sea harrier but that does not seem so favored for some reason.

I also have to build a Cathedral as well as this so its gonna be an intense 2 weeks and that don't include anything I might do for Bomber Command table too.. Fun :thumbsup:

Cheers Rob ;)

OK easy

Cathedral all night

Harrier all day

Soon getting those sorted then :)

:wow

not short of ambition then

;)

fingers crossed Rob

Thinking of starting a book

Which one will Rob still be finishing on the way down to Telford?

maybe you should be building a chapel instead

Cathedral?

Oh my…

• Like 1

Cheers guys, Yep Gluton for modelling haha.

I have just primed the parts with HU64 now what colour is Dark Admiralty Grey close too, I have Dark Sea Grey, Extra Dark Sea Grey, Medium Sea Grey, Steel Grey, US Dark Grey, and some other bluey greys like Sea Grey and PRU Blue,.

I have been looking on my fave site for unusual photos and see the camo goes in the intakes, but some have white insides, Some on the deeper section before the fan look black but mostly appear Light Aircraft grey or white, Along with the engine bullet,

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3(This website if carefully navigated throws up so many wonderful photos of all sorts. well worth a tea break to look through)

I even found this unusual photo of a Kestrel in wrap around scheme, Thought it was a GR1 at first till I could see it looked off around the sides, and intakes. Though confusingly it is labeled as a gr1a also. However it does look more like a kestrel than GR1 to me. Looking at the sleeve ahead of the front thrust nozzle, As I understand it first came the P1127, Then the Kestrel and then the Harrier, All three were totally different aircraft as I understand, Could be wrong. But interesting stuff none the less.

6B72EB3D-AAC9-47DF-9119-7005154772A4-238

Cheers Rob ;)

I have been messing with paints again, I have recently Discovered Americana Decoart paints which so far are absolutely amazing,. you also get alot of paint for your money.

I have found that they brush beautifully straight from the pot and leave no marks at all. they also have a host of other good properties and high pigmentation.

http://decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Americana_Acrylics

They are useful if you want to experiment a little. The green for this one is a personal mix of Revell Gelboliv with a dash of Decoart Regal Purple to add a brownish tinge to the green and to deepen it some revell tar black. mixed with a little Flow Improver to make it good for brushing with no marks. (put in a spare humbrol pot.)

EAA46C5E-0D12-475A-A3AE-4BA296AAE492-238

This is my first time using their metalic's, I have some purple too for the Cathedral build. This silver is being brushed right out the pot with no thinning at all and leave no brush marks at all. This is after one coat.

EF0A9AC5-D08B-41A5-812C-47D6DD59D9C7-238

5E5B8D0B-3FDE-474C-84B3-35B6E78A2E6B-238

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Oh... I see. Didn't read it properly, I assumed this was going to be the new 1/72 gr.3! Looking great so far mate :)

Nope fraid not, The old beast, I would like to try the new 1/72 one and I will at some point, But I really felt 48th would be a better size for the Table.

So anyone know whats a close a approximate of dark admiralty grey. ?

Cheers Rob