Airfix 1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (fabric wing) L1599

Despite the problems you had, this has turned out to be a little belter of a model. So much so that I think I am going to go and get myself one of these kits even though it is far removed from my usual fare!

Martin

• Like 1

Thaks very much guys - it looks OK in the end.

I don't mind fettling a kit, it's just that I was a bit tired of adding mods and detail stuff to my ongoing Tornado build. I thought this might give some simple modelling pleasure, but...

ETA I've now got the remainder of the Xtradecal decal set for the Hurricane Mk.1, plus the original Airfix decals (minus the common bits). If anyone wants to peruse the Xtradecal set and choose a scheme, let me know and I'll cut the appropriate decals out and send them. One condition....you need to have a Hurricane Mk.1 WIP thread here on BM - I want to see them used :thumbsup:

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 1

Excellent result, doc. It's been a pleasure to watch the kit progress and educational too. Your illustration of techniques and attention to detail have been inspiring, not to mention your resolve to get the kit finished, despite its many flaws.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

The result is fantastic, and the time you spent was well worth it. Even with its faults, it's likely the best kit we Braille Scalers have for an early Hurricane. Your choice to do light weathering was spot on - this really looks good. And the others in your collection - what can I say?

Magnifique! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

I'll just echo what the others have already said. A very informative build thread and truly great finished model, both of which are very inspirational and enjoyable!

Mark.

• Like 1

I like all of them! Very nice models. I like these new tooling 1/72 Airfix kits and have a few of the kits you built as well - the Spitfire Mk. 1, the Hurricane Mk. 1 and the Bf-109 E3.

I am happy if mine turns out only half as good as yours.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks Guys - really appreciated, especially after a struggle.

Special thanks to Tango98 for reference material. At the end of the day some of the details are a best guess (or even just what I thought might look nice) but "modeller's license" is my favorite phrase!

+1 to that. You have done a great job - I'm re-inspired to do mine now someone has worked through all the problems. great job.

Thanks very much. I think so long as you know what's involved, the result will be worth the extra effort. In fact you could probably eliminate much of the wing fit issue by careful profiling of the wheel bay sides. It's also worth checking the wheels - if Airfix have corrected the flaws then I'd use them - they are slightly larger than the CMK ones, and probably fit a bit better. The missing spoke is possibly only noticeable to the type experts!

Great job. For all its faults still the best early Hurricane available.

"Best" or "Only"?

I've honestly no idea (although I thought I read somewhere it was the "only" fabric wing in 1/72). There is a subtle difference!

Cheers!