North American F-86F/E(M)Sabre - 1:72 Airfix

Julien

North American F-86F/E(M)Sabre

1:72 Airfix

Airfix%2086%20box.jpg

My colleague Paul reviewed the new Airfix sabre back in 2011 in this thread, the plastic for this kit is exactly the same. This is the first re-release for Airifx's sabre.

Decals
The decals are the change with this release.

Airfix%2086%20decals.jpg

The first aircraft is from the 25th Fighter Squadron, 51st Fighter Wing during the Korean War. This aircraft was titled "MiG Mad Marine" and was flown my Maj John Glenn USMC. Maj Gleen flew one tour in Korea with his own USMC Sqn, returning one with 250 holes in his aircraft! and one with the USAF. While with the USAF he downed three enemy MiG-15's. He would later become the first man to orbit the earth with NASA, and served as a US Senator. He would return to space in 1998 on the Space Shuttle.

The second decal option is for the colourful Sabre used by the Yugoslavian Aerobatic display team from the 1960's.

The decals are as usual with Airfix now printed by Cartograf so should pose no problems.

Conclusion
The aerobatic decals are welcome from Airifx, however the MiG Mad Marine decals have been done before. The Airfix F-86 has a few issues with the wheels and wing fences, but is still good value for money.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 1

however the MiG Mad Marine decals have been done before.

True, but neither the Heller nor the Fujimi decal sheets got the colours right on the name artwork. I don't have the Print Scale aftermarket sheet, but from the images on the Hannants website it looks like they may have gotten the shadowing on MiG Mad Marine a little too grey, but they certainly look usable and Lynn Anne Dave looks correct on their sheet. Maj Glenn's aircraft is one I've wanted to build for a long time, so I'll probably grab this boxing for the decals as it looks like Airfix have gotten it right where other kit manufacturers haven't in the past.

That, and it's a nice little kit, minor quibbles aside, and the Sabre is one of those aircraft where there's always another marking option (still hoping Leading Edge will reissue their sheet with the RCAF natural metal schemes...)

• Like 1