Junkers W 34 HAU (MPM) and K 43 (scratch conversion from MPM), 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Following post on F13 I promised to post my Junkerses. Now it will be W 34 in Luftawffe markings from Pardubice A.B.32 unit by MPM ("old tool" with vacu canopy etc. ). It is OOB (with only a few changies). The second one is deeply reshaped "W 34 on floats" (also by MPM) to became K 43fa, from LeLv 44, Hirviranta, Finish AF (in 1943, I think). This mashine (JU-127) survived the war and there are many photos of it available, revealing development of her camo with years.

In my model main changies are in fuselege (it is lower by about 2 mm and flat from top), canopy is open, side windows are in different positions, gun is added etc.. All this would not be difficult if the surface was flat - but it was not flat... This is "Junkers style" surface. So it was a bit labour and results is not always perfect, but I like it. There are ski added. All this conversions are scratch build. This was a nice play... :)

However - I have to admit, that green on K 43 is a too fresh, I am sorry for this mistake. I realized it too late - I visited very nice Helsinki museum of aviation in 2010, and this model I did in 2009. Perhaps one day I will find enough motivation to repaint it to more olive green....But not now, unfortunately.

BTW- last days when I am coming back home it is already dark, so the photos have to done with bulb light. Single photo which is made in full sunlight origin from 2009. It is also not good. In my feeling the best light for photos of model is a disperssed sunlight, for example in bright but cloudy day or in a shadow. Perhaps in week-end I will manage to add some daylight shots.

So - please enjoy and comments are welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

W 34 HAU

junkers w34 DSC02456junkers w34 DSC02457junkers w34 DSC02458junkers w34 DSC02459junkers w34 DSC02476junkers w34 DSC02477junkers w34 DSC02478junkers w34 DSC02479

K43:

junkers k43 DSC02463junkers k43 DSC02465junkers k43 DSC02466junkers k43 DSC02467junkers k43 DSC02468junkers k43 DSC02470junkers k43 DSC02471

And family photo:

junkers w34 DSC02475

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 20

Very nice indeed,......I have built a W.34 myself recently in captured RAF markings and have always fancied building the Finnish one with skis on top of the fuselage,..... I would love to see the real aircraft someday like you have.

Both of your models look brilliant but I would like to see photos in daylight if you can manage this sometime?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you :)

I would like to see photos in daylight if you can manage this sometime?

I will add some photos in daylight during weekend

Are those sets of skis on the top?

Yes - and there are also paddles on the floats. This airplane was used for support of partisants behind the front line. In the cover of a finish book "Maritime Aircraft" by K.Keskinen, K.Stenman and K.Niska (issued by UUSI, 1995) there is a photo of k 43 on skis having attached skis like that on her back. Another photo is on page 42 there. That ispired me to add skis, although I have not found a photo of k43 on floats and having skis on back. However I belive, that ther must be perhaps short time, when airplane was still on floats (not skis) but she transported skis for crew, since snow cover was present despite lack of ice on sea.. .

Hi Jerzy:

Wonderful builds as usual, I'm beguining to think that really your collection is full of nice treasures you have done over the years with all that care, love and constant quality in each work that sure, I couldn't have for many time being tired of admiring each of the wonderful subjects you have posted here.

Thank you very much for sharing!!1

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi,

I promised Tony to post some daylight photos of them as well. Here they are. In my feeling, there is a difference...I will rather not post more photos done in poor light, sorry for my previous set...

Cheers, Jerzy-Wojtek

W 34 HAU

junkers w34 DSC02489junkers w34 DSC02488junkers w34 DSC02487junkers w34 DSC02486junkers w34 DSC02485

K 43:

junkers k43 DSC02482junkers k43 DSC02480junkers k43 DSC02481

junkers k43 DSC02484

junkers k43 DSC02483

junkers k43 DSC02501

junkers k43 DSC02502

junkers k43 DSC02504

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

Beautiful models Jerzy. I think you have far more patience than I do. I found my Norwegian float version so difficult.

• Like 1

Maxidad - thank you very much! - this conversion was very challanging indeed and I am not 100 % happy with result, but I liked so much a kind of charming uglyness of this K43 hydro variant, that I could not resistant... :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I think that your Finish build is supeer :winkgrin::winkgrin:

But the German sorry to say but the colector ring (you can see trougt :fuyou_2: ) on engine spoils the overall good look of the a/c

pls remove and make fit better

cheers

Jes

• Like 1

Hi Jes,

Many thank for your comments! - and especially that you noticed this ugly distance between collector and the cowling in W34 Hau. It is really ugly but the problem is that It was like that in original thing (Junkers W 34 Hau) :) - please have a look here:

http://german767.rssing.com/chan-7262731/all_p4.html

or here

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_28639.html

:)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

Sorry JW i can see i was wrong there :shutup: , just did not look right when i saw it at first.

Actually never notice it before and have look at lots of photoes of W-34, but now i will remeber when i make one.

cheers

Jes

• Like 1

No prob Jes - I should emphasize this at beginning, since it is unusual feature of this design - and obviously looks like flaw in construction of model :)

Have a nice Sunday

J-W

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
14 hours ago, Johnnyboy88 said:

Nice model! I am planning to build a similar model of a Finnish w34, and I wonder how you lowered the fuselage roof, and maintain the pattern? And where did you get the canopy? 

Best

Jo

Hi, thank you!  The whole fuselage is a bit lower in K43, and the windows are in different position as you know it for sure if you have studied the possibility of conversion. The doors are also different a bit as well the surface between the engine and canopy.

The whole method which I applied here  I discoverd for conversion of G-24 (Plasticart) to G-24 He (the Greek one from 1941 campaign) when I constructed a new fin and rudder for it  

I simply did it making a thin sheets of corrugated surfaces. To get them I covered some area on fuselage with silicone, when it was hard I pulled it out and smeared on it a resin glue.    You may see more details about such technique in a thread from my build of Caproni 133 as a conversion of Caproni 101 

Then you have a sheets of a resin of desired kind of surface, which you can trim to desired dimensions and shapes, since it is a bit flexible depending on the kind of epoxy glue you will use. I was gluing it with the remaining  plastic using CA glue , some reinforcement from the back side (a thin plastic sheets) are very helpful as well micro amounts of putty to mask the joins. I am sure you can do this as well. The windscreen is simply glue from four separate thin windows but you can do it also from a flat clear hard foil and the proper shape you can try with a paper models .  

Good luck!

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

I'm glad this post resurfaced.  You did a great job on the two Junkers.  They are so different from each other.  The painting and weathering is great.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1