This is another kit falling victim to my new found battle to eliminate my shelves of doom; kits started, but just never quite finished for one reason or another. It is the HobbyCraft 1/48 Bf 109-C.

boxart1.jpg

I found this box, opened it up and discovered it was painted, decaled and just missing the miscellaneous parts that need to be put on at the end of the build. Why I didn’t complete it is a mystery to me. I am not even sure when I started this kit. Apparently, I bought the HobbyCraft kit so I could use Cutting Edge decals for a Bf 109 D-1. Maybe I thought it didn’t look like a D model, but in doing some research, I frankly can’t tell the difference between a C model and a D model in pictures. Anyway, here it is, off of the shelf of doom. It was not the best model as far as detail and fit goes, but I like the scheme and different nose of the C/D model.

DSCN3514.jpg

DSCN3513.jpg

DSCN3512.jpg

DSCN3511.jpg

DSCN3510.jpg

DSCN3509.jpg

DSCN3507.jpg

DSCN3506.jpg

Now the landing gear has already collapsed once due to the dodgy attachment. Hopefully, with the super glue and metal reinforcements, it will stay on its feet. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 3

Yes, this one was brush painted. And after looking at the pictures, have a couple of places that need some work. Now I use and air brush and color the air with foulness regarding what I consider a black art!

Ho hum… you didn't really put all of your heart into this one, did you?

Among the "couple of places that need some work" are the main gear legs – the oleo (shiny metal part) is in fact the section below the one that you painted silver… ;-)

And the canopy didn't fit too well, did it? Just wonder if I should bother, since I've got this kit in the stash, somewhere.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

If you enjoy it keep at it. Also keep practising with the airbrush and don't give up. It's all too easy to be put off and dejection sets in. To misquote Winston Churchill

'We shall fight them on the cutting mats, and in the mixing jars and in the shelves of doom. We shall never count rivets...'

• Like 1

To be honest, I would order some new decals, strip the paint and start over. I think the major problem was the paint was too thick. The tires also need sanding around the circumference. I hope my comments come across as constructive, as that is my intent.

• Like 1

thing is I look as some of the models on here and think wow...but that's exactly what they are ...models...a lot of you guys have been modelling for years and have the experience and up to a professional standard..it shows...me for example...last time I made any kits up was when I was in my early teens..apart from a couple I made and put on here...not airbrushed or flash...just plain old models straight out of the box...glued and painted..and that's exactly what this guy has done...and that's what this site should be about....all models any standard....long may it continue..i just wish I was up to some of the kits I seen on this site...but alas...not got the time nor patience.. :banghead:

• Like 1