Cyber Hobby 1/200 Avro Vulcan B.2

Val

Looking good mate. I hate it when paint ripps up like that, What brand are you using ?

Good look with it and what era / scheme are you doing. If your doing a D roundel one remember they only had a roundel on the left wing.

Cheers Rob :popcorn:

Cheers Rob :)

I'm using good old trusty Tamiya acrylics. To be honest, the paint isn't the problem, it was how I cut the masking tape, didn't quite work. All patched up now though!

I'm doing XM595 from Lincolnshire ~1970. So it's going to be purely OOB, but a bit of imagination will be applied to the weathering as opposed to reference pics, although I'm not going OTT on weathering. Thanks for the tip on the roundels :)

Always love a good Vulcan. Great paint and work!

Cheers

Harrison

Cheers Harrison, much appreciated :)

A little more... Well, a lot more in terms of time and effort, but not much to notice!

I've painted the black bits on the tail and nose using Tamiya's excellent rubber black, the exhausts using Gunze Steel Metalizer paint, the green bits on the tail which I painted Vallejo RLM 02 Grey Green (although instructions call out for steel, they look green to me on pics), and several, several touchups. Also glossed ready for decals

9d9925a6-82ad-45b6-8e40-4ef5d4b7f99b_zps

90041a67-04d6-45aa-8cf5-accc4365d32d_zps

The gloss is still wet so it looks a touch odd in places. It's also standing on rudimentary landing gear made out of cocktail sticks to keep her off the ground. Even though the instructions call for no nose weights and I added some anyway, and it still looks like it might be a tail sitting... the window on the underside of the fuselage is open so I might have to put some weights in there when the undercarriage is on.

Also, did a bit more to the X-Wing:

6CA3A128-119D-4A0B-99C8-1A6607B0186E_zps

I painted these markings so I could chip them up; I've not yet taken all of the masking fluid off yet. The rest of the markings will be decals, and I'm not too concerned with colour differences as there seems to be a large number of colour differences between markings on these ships anyway. Gloss next...

Cheers,

Val

Decals!

Well, they went on a treat! Really strong, but thin and reacted well with Mirco products.

27E873B0-3E35-46D4-B47C-70783D6E8031_zps

All protected with Alclad Aqua Gloss, the next step was to add the Flory wash. Wax on:

2AE54C8B-4A4E-452A-9C21-BD923BF8B4A7_zps

And wax off:

2ADE3B1F-2214-4E93-B4C0-88518B65BC3B_zps

7E4A75A2-38EA-4704-AC60-653224DD5837_zps

I used Grime on the underside and Dark Dirt on top. So, all that's left is to put the smaller, breakable bits on and seal her up, then a very minor bit of weathering and she's all done. The end is in site, and might be on to the Lanc by the weekend smile.gif

Val

• Like 4

Looking good with the decals on and nice recovery on the paint job. :goodjob:

Cheers Nigel, it's still not 100% perfect if you get too close to it, but it's a vast improvement!!

Looking very nice and the wash looks fun ive still not tried my glory wash. Must give it a go, :)

Thanks Rob, Flory Wash is brilliant!! It's dead easy, and you can't really go wrong. You just wait for it to dry and take it off with a paper towel until you get to a point where you're happy. The more you moisten the towel, the more that will come off! There's loads of colours, but Dark Dirt and Grime are the only two I really use regularly.

• Like 1

Cheers Val, im guessing it's for gloss only models unless you want to stain matt paint or am I wrong ?

Essentially the glossier the surface, the more of it you can get off again, yes. On my Seafire I applied it over a gloss surface to get basically just a panel wash (as I did here), but my Spitfire VIII I applied it over a satin finish so it trapped some of the wash. But it's just clay and water based, so if you make it went enough, you can pretty much get it all off again. I normally decal up, give it a gloss coat, apply the wash because a gloss surface allows you to take as much or as little off as you like really, and then seal it all in with a matt or satin finish coat. It really is easy to use! There's a video of Phil Flory using it here:

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finish lines and faus pas

So, had a bit of time in the man cave last night, just needed to put the landing gear on to finish off the Vulcan... that's when things started going wrong...!

under_zpswfyhz4my.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, I've drawn in the locating pin on the main gear... This is because on both main gear struts, I removed the locating pins after assuming they were parts of the sprue tree... wrong... So now the gear doesn't actually fit... JOY!!

Ok, the solution:

79357A98-073F-4C35-96B2-A37694AFE25F_zps

Yes, lumps of plastic rod, cyno'd and hot glued in, and then left over night to go off. To be honest, I left the main gear over night to go off also. But that means she's still yet to be finished... So tonight they will be trimmed to length, and the main gear installed.

But, the Blue Steel is installed:

2D8D2099-C733-4312-B55E-75CA6C332DF5_zps

Additional weathering just with Tamiya weather sets.

And here is a quick view of the top with a satin varnish, and the tiny windows unmasked:

3AC4A40F-EAA8-44CA-BC20-3BC78F7A1D00_zps

So nearly there!!

Many thanks,

Val

• Like 2

lso, for those interested, here's the X-Wing:

48E8F45B-60F0-4D3A-B23C-69B623C150D2_zps

95B1FF2B-6D71-4848-BCA1-9A4C5C8670FF_zps

The decals were hacked up with a sanding stick basically. A couple of places have gone a bit strange, so i'll put some grey burn makes over them. The weathering is totally over the top, but it's sifi, and I'm loving every minute smile.gif

Phil said on his video about not being able to get Luke in without hacking his legs off. This is true if you put him in after assembly, but i took mine apart and fitted him before the instrument panel, fits a treat. But also shows this kit as not been touched by glue yet! I am super impressed!

Water soluble oils tonight for the panels and weathering.

Cheers, Val

Finish lines and faus pas

So, had a bit of time in the man cave last night, just needed to put the landing gear on to finish off the Vulcan... that's when things started going wrong...!under_zpswfyhz4my.jpg

As you can see from the above picture, I've drawn in the locating pin on the main gear... This is because on both main gear struts, I removed the locating pins after assuming they were parts of the sprue tree... wrong... So now the gear doesn't actually fit... JOY!!

Ok, the solution:79357A98-073F-4C35-96B2-A37694AFE25F_zps

Yes, lumps of plastic rod, cyno'd and hot glued in, and then left over night to go off. To be honest, I left the main gear over night to go off also. But that means she's still yet to be finished... So tonight they will be trimmed to length, and the main gear installed.

But, the Blue Steel is installed:2D8D2099-C733-4312-B55E-75CA6C332DF5_zps

Additional weathering just with Tamiya weather sets.

And here is a quick view of the top with a satin varnish, and the tiny windows unmasked:3AC4A40F-EAA8-44CA-BC20-3BC78F7A1D00_zps

So nearly there!!

Many thanks,

Val[/size] [/size]

This looks bloody lovely! My LHS has one in stock along with a 1:444 B52G so I'll probably be making a purchase based on your build and put some Cold War bombers on the shelf :)

• Like 1

This looks bloody lovely! My LHS has one in stock along with a 1:444 B52G so I'll probably be making a purchase based on your build and put some Cold War bombers on the shelf :)

Cheers Matt, it's a great fun little kit! Yes, get a B52G as well, so cool!

I have loads of spare gear Val ive built about 20 of these damn things :)

PM me if you want a set

Thanks for that Rob, much appreciated! I had another minor disaster last night and dropped (and caught her)! And in the process I knocked off the front landing gear... I very nearly cried and sent the distress signal out there and then! But I have reglued everything and left it over night to set, and it seemed to be alright before I left it last night, so fingers crossed... The only job left is to touch up the wheels... So thank you for your kind offer, but I think it'll be ok... I will find out when I get home and am brave enough to turn her over!

It look very very good! Great job!! It's almost ready ... not? Are you going to put it on a base or scene?

Regards!!

Cheers Jamie! Yes nearly there mate! No, I won't be putting her on a base any time soon. I might one day, but have never tried that sort of thing so going to leave that for the time being :)

Thanks all,

Val

• Like 1