Cyber Hobby 1/200 Avro Vulcan B.2

Val

Wow looks really nice, never tried preshading. When I finally have a new compressor I must have ago though looks very effective :)

Thanks mate, I really like pre-shading; it's great practice for airbrushing skills, it doesn't have to be neat, and if you don't like it, you can just overcoat it until it goes away :) .

Watch out with them wheels mate. Sure you have noticed the odd addition of 4 tyre on the front wheel rather than 2

I didn't notice, but thanks for pointing that out, yeah not sure why that is ?!

• Like 1

Yeah it's odd the Kit for the most part is the most accurate Vulcan kit made. But the front wheel being doubled up must be a CAD error and the upper nose pito is very odd too as it was never there on any ive seen. I think they are way over scale and leave them off mine but that's me.

Nearly there now :)

• Like 1

Yeah it's odd the Kit for the most part is the most accurate Vulcan kit made. But the front wheel being doubled up must be a CAD error and the upper nose pito is very odd too as it was never there on any ive seen. I think they are way over scale and leave them off mine but that's me.

Nearly there now :)

Yeah I know what you mean, it's strange... Yeah I'll leave a pair off. This kit didn't go together quite as easily as I thought it would, but that's probably my fault as much as anything (to be fair, it wasn't exactly a struggle!!), however now it is together and primed, I'm absolutely in love with it! I can see why you've done so many of these little gems!

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you mean, it's strange... Yeah I'll leave a pair off. This kit didn't go together quite as easily as I thought it would, but that's probably my fault as much as anything (to be fair, it wasn't exactly a struggle!!), however now it is together and primed, I'm absolutely in love with it! I can see why you've done so many of these little gems!

Yeh they are great kits. I find the fit is ok but then I'm used to worse ive only built to kits that fell together hobby boss 1/32 spit and Tamiya 1/32 spit.

Making things fit has always been part of modelling to me I expect it so what I think is a good fit others would not.

If if needs a squeeze while the glue sets to hold it in place I consider that a good fit. If the kit falls together that's a miracle to me.

One that needs a file here or there is a good game to me and one that's warped and don't fit at all is not fun.

I considered the Matchbox Victor a good fit but it's not really by most people's standards I guess as a kid I build mainly airfix Vulcans and matchbox victors so to me that was normal for a kit. I never built any Tamiya till recently and now I understand what the fuss is about.

I enjoy a kit you have to fight though I must admit I do enjoy building a kit with no fuss for the fun of it and wish a new 1/72 Vulcan would come out even though I'm a fan of the old kit it would be nice to have a easy fitting kit.

Can't wait to see this finished :)

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Yeh they are great kits. I find the fit is ok but then I'm used to worse ive only built to kits that fell together hobby boss 1/32 spit and Tamiya 1/32 spit.

Making things fit has always been part of modelling to me I expect it so what I think is a good fit others would not.

If if needs a squeeze while the glue sets to hold it in place I consider that a good fit. If the kit falls together that's a miracle to me.

One that needs a file here or there is a good game to me and one that's warped and don't fit at all is not fun.

I considered the Matchbox Victor a good fit but it's not really by most people's standards I guess as a kid I build mainly airfix Vulcans and matchbox victors so to me that was normal for a kit. I never built any Tamiya till recently and now I understand what the fuss is about.

I enjoy a kit you have to fight though I must admit I do enjoy building a kit with no fuss for the fun of it and wish a new 1/72 Vulcan would come out even though I'm a fan of the old kit it would be nice to have a easy fitting kit.

Can't wait to see this finished :)

Cheers Rob :)

Mate, your absolutely right about the fit being part of modelling. It is all part of the fun. And from that point of view, there really is nothing wrong with this kit, the fit is fine. The last three models I've finished was the Airfix Seafire, Tamiya Mustang and Otaki Spitfire VIII and they literally fell together (the Otaki Spit really surprised me how brilliant it is given the age), so I guess my expectations have been raised. This Vulcan is brilliant compared to the Airfix Gnats I'm doing (new tool, 1/72 version), which really are fighting me every step of the way... The Airfix 727 is a pig too, but I was expecting that and had earmarked that as a long term filler job. I've got the Revell/Matchbox Victor in the stash, I have that earmarked as a long term build also, as I'll try and rescribe it. I've the Airfix Valiant which l picked up for a bargain £15, and I'm hoping that will go together well, I've heard good things. I'll complete the trio with a 1/72 Vulcan, but I'm waiting for a new tool to come out... there must be one round the corner from someone?! (I've gambled on a new tool Vulcan before a Victor appears, so Airfix Victor will be out in about a year!!! :') )

• Like 1

Good to hear the Gnats are at pig as I have one I was thinking of doing quick.

Yep I have a feeling just a feeling no I for that a new tool Vulcan will be almost certain from Airfix this is just a guess but seeing the close relationship between corgi and Hornby etc and the new Toy 1/72 vulcan it must be being planned that said I doubt a new tool one will be a accurate as the old beast

Good to hear the Gnats are at pig as I have one I was thinking of doing quick.

Yep I have a feeling just a feeling no I for that a new tool Vulcan will be almost certain from Airfix this is just a guess but seeing the close relationship between corgi and Hornby etc and the new Toy 1/72 vulcan it must be being planned that said I doubt a new tool one will be a accurate as the old beast

It's funny about the gnats, most people seem to think they are a bit of a fight to get together, and have experienced the same problems as me, whereas there are some who have had no real issues at all... The only thing I would say is to put the jet air intakes on first of all. Make it the first job! I didn't do this... The intakes effect how the cockpit goes in, which in tern seems to have a knock on effect for the fuselage, and wings etc... That would be my word of advice! The detail is great on those little kits though.

Fingers crossed on the new 1/72 Vulcan, it'll sell like hot cakes if it's anywhere close to the breath-taking standard of their 1/48 mk I spit and hurricane. I'm sure they'll get it accurate with this new lidar technology, or whatever it is. Mind you, we've said that before about new kits!!

• Like 1

It's funny about the gnats, most people seem to think they are a bit of a fight to get together, and have experienced the same problems as me, whereas there are some who have had no real issues at all... The only thing I would say is to put the jet air intakes on first of all. Make it the first job! I didn't do this... The intakes effect how the cockpit goes in, which in tern seems to have a knock on effect for the fuselage, and wings etc... That would be my word of advice! The detail is great on those little kits though.

Fingers crossed on the new 1/72 Vulcan, it'll sell like hot cakes if it's anywhere close to the breath-taking standard of their 1/48 mk I spit and hurricane. I'm sure they'll get it accurate with this new lidar technology, or whatever it is. Mind you, we've said that before about new kits!!

Thanks for the tips on the gnats, I have 2 becaue one I left near the radiator and its warped !, the warped one I will likely whiff as something.

The new kits are not always accurate but still I'd like to see one whatever I would be happy with a close approximation.

48th would be cool but I'd rather 72 :) , hell why not both sure they would sell :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips on the gnats, I have 2 becaue one I left near the radiator and its warped !, the warped one I will likely whiff as something.

The new kits are not always accurate but still I'd like to see one whatever I would be happy with a close approximation.

48th would be cool but I'd rather 72 :) , hell why not both sure they would sell :)

1/48 Vulcan?! "We're going to need a bigger modelling bench!" Imagine the detail on that...!

• Like 1

1/48 Vulcan?! "We're going to need a bigger modelling bench!" Imagine the detail on that...!

Plenty of chance to do some nice preshhading etc, Bombay would be a joy to

Detail (or hellish) imagine masking that thing it would be a nightmare, but damn good fun.

:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry it's been a while... Basically I'm doing a degree at the moment in my spare time (I work full time and also play in a few function bands). I had an exam on 8th June (and I was in London watching Norwich play at Wembley on the 25th May biggrin.gif ) so that's knocked May and June out of the modelling equation.

As a result, the Vulcan has halted temporarily! Since the exam, I have been working on a mojo busting subject before I return to the Vulcan. To be fair, the Vulcan is a great kit and I will soon push through with it. It's the camo next, exciting stuff smile.gif

2EE20999-26D6-4D0B-A2F0-3D687821607E_zps

467725CC-BE38-4F00-9D8C-D04C90180D46_zps

I know it's off topic, but it's the Bandai 1/72 X-Wing kit. I've got this far in a week (which is the equivalent to a tea break in my modelling world). Well on it's way, a few panels to mask off, then decals and weathering and she's all done.

I'm just showing you all this so you know I'm back modelling!! To be honest, I'm on holiday for the next couple of weeks, so more when I return! The Vulcan and the Gnats will then be finished, along with more progress to the 727 smile.gif

• Like 2

You're not wrong! :') After my exam I just wanted to do something quick and easy, and a break from builds I was getting bogged down with. The poor Vulcan has been lumped in with the others from that point of view without doing a lot wrong; it really is a great little kit. It is the 727 (expected) and the Gnats (unexpected) that are getting tiresome. I promise the Vulcan will be priority when I'm back from hols though mate :)

That ain't no Vulcan but it's just as much a classic design good old X-Wing who would not get distracted by that :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm back from my travels afar, so a bit of time was spent on the Vulcan yesterday.

First of all, a bit of preshading:

5F8DE65F-3F31-4FB0-BBA2-6F3897D9B86A_zps

No my neatest ever work, but it is a tiny scale so it will be pretty much covered over, and I've not used the airbrush for a few weeks so thought it would be a good test to see how it's working.

Then the grey:

E53972F4-D460-43BE-913E-455F0A20EE25_zps

Pretty much happy with the effect; broke up the grey nicely without looking like a patchwork quilt. There was a hint of postshading too, I tried to concentrate on the panels either side of the spine as these seem to fade the most on some of the pics I've seen, not that there's aircraft ever look majorly weathered.

Masking next, that'll be fun, and hopefully more progress this week.

Fanx smile.gif

Val

This could be a great solution for me wanting to do a Vulcan but not having the space! It's looking great so far, looking forward to seeing more from this build. The post-shading looks good, very subtle. There's a great documentary on YouTube about the last days of the operational Vulcans, really interesting and worth a watch.

• Like 1

This could be a great solution for me wanting to do a Vulcan but not having the space! It's looking great so far, looking forward to seeing more from this build. The post-shading looks good, very subtle. There's a great documentary on YouTube about the last days of the operational Vulcans, really interesting and worth a watch.

Thanks Matt :) yes I'm pleased so far. Hoping the masking of camo won't be to painful! I've got to say, it's a great little kit. If you can find one at a reasonable price then I'd definitely recommend them. I'll have a look for the Vulcan video, thanks.

Val

• Like 1

Ok people, a little more progress:

A long session of masking:

BFB55BDD-93B5-4F96-931E-B7BDDBC937EB_zps

I normally use the blue tac (or white tac, or science putty!) method for masking camo because it's quick, easy and gives a lovely finish. I decided the scale is way, way too small for that this time, so went hard edge by photocopying and upscaling the instructions, placing them on tamiya tape and cutting round them with a knife; a long and painful process!!

I then preshaded the bits to be green, not that this will really be seen through the dark green. I changed the nozzle on my airbrush as the 0.2mm nozzle is a bit old, and no longer 0.2mm! The new nozzle worked a treat.

2754ED57-22C9-49FA-98B8-59C21F529BB4_zps

And then on with the RAF Dark Green:

E1796081-F6BF-402B-9A5E-2989155B693E_zps

I did a bit of post shading too. You can't really see it under the artificial light, so I'll see what it looks like by day and add some more if needed.

Now, one thing I have learnt as an adult modeler as opposed to the teenager modeler I once was is patience. Give the paints plenty of time to cure before unmasking, no point ruining it for the sake of waiting 24hours.

So that's where I left it, more to follow once I've left if for a day and unmasked.

Val

Ok, well, I'm fooling no-one! I'd left it for about 30 seconds before I started ripping the tape off smile.gif

Here she is:

D72BEA16-D27F-4085-8DE7-AD4DC6A58F7A_zps

Coming together nicely smile.gif

Now, it is a long way from perfect. The problem I had is cutting through the photocopied instructions and tape in one didn't give a particularly good finish to the tape edge, so some of the camo demarcations are very average.

A04F4773-CD30-4575-808B-99C8204E09B8_zps

D1AF5B3E-FCFD-4FA6-A27D-26A389B4B17E_zps

Now, a lot of this will be lost with weathering washes etc, so not too worried, but some of the worse areas will be tidied up along with areas where the pattern is a bit mechanical.

Also, the results around one of the intakes is a bit poor too.

D4FD9D59-C0CA-452F-85CA-777FEBBF3B4F_zps

So coming on, but tidying up work to do.

Many thanks,

Val

• Like 3

It's turning into a lovely little model. I ought to look my kit out. It would make for a bit of relief from the Karel Doorman project.

Martin

• Like 1

It's turning into a lovely little model. I ought to look my kit out. It would make for a bit of relief from the Karel Doorman project.

Martin

Thanks Martin, yes it's a lovely little kit. Ignore how long it's taking me, I'm very slow! It's an ideal quick build for a human with the correct number of fingers and thumbs!! :banghead:

• Like 1

Thanks Martin, yes it's a lovely little kit. Ignore how long it's taking me, I'm very slow! It's an ideal quick build for a human with the correct number of fingers and thumbs!! :banghead:

Ah! there might be a problem there as there are not many who would describe me as normal human being. In fact, there are a few who would question whether I am human at all!

Martin (or Martian if you listen to the guys on the Haunebu thread)

• Like 1

Looking great! I really want one of these now!! A little thing I've used regarding cutting the tape edges for camo masks is to scale up the instructions, then trace the camo outline onto greaseproof paper. Then, lay tape over the top and cut around it. That way when you come to separate the tape it doesn't stick so firmly.

• Like 1

Ah! there might be a problem there as there are not many who would describe me as normal human being. In fact, there are a few who would question whether I am human at all!

Martin (or Martian if you listen to the guys on the Haunebu thread)

Hahah! Glad I'm not the only one then! I'm loving the Haunebu thread, really cool model.

Looking great! I really want one of these now!! A little thing I've used regarding cutting the tape edges for camo masks is to scale up the instructions, then trace the camo outline onto greaseproof paper. Then, lay tape over the top and cut around it. That way when you come to separate the tape it doesn't stick so firmly.

That's a good tip, thanks, I'll try that next time :)

Val

Hi all,

So, managed to touch the camp work up on her. I masked using 1mm jammydog tape. In retrospect, I would have been better off so this all over! Anyway, here are the results:

image_zpspftrtqb0.jpg

image_zpsvwvkedue.jpg

image_zpsus8dgqpd.jpg

Whilst still not 100% perfect, it's a large improvement. Next up is to touch up the white paint, should be quick, then paint the small bits. It's well on the way :)

Thanks,

Val

• Like 2

Looking good mate. I hate it when paint ripps up like that, What brand are you using ?

Good look with it and what era / scheme are you doing. If your doing a D roundel one remember they only had a roundel on the left wing.

Cheers Rob :popcorn:

• Like 1