Cyber Hobby 1/200 Avro Vulcan B.2

Val

Well, since my Harrier is off the bench, I'm going to start another "quick" (LOL) build. It is to be the magnificent Vulcan B.2, as inspired by Rob our resident Vulcan nut :D

DSCF6475_zps34eb2b6c.jpg

Sprues:

DSCF6476_zpse08ab7ac.jpg

She's going to be finished in Green/Grey camo, with white underside, and a massive Blue Steel nuclear missile! I'll probably get on to starting her at the weekend, if not before :)

Val

• Like 7

If you do an all white one you could have it finished before the weekend which will then give you all that extra time to build more. Sadly theory doesn't always work with women wanting to look in shops that sell dresses, cushions, lamps, etc etc. And then they moan when they have to wait a mere 5mins while we nip in to the hobby shop, get what we need, pick up a new tin of enamel and pay in cash to save time. That my friend is the reality of weekends. Take your time over the camo scheme and have a nice pipe and slippers weekend

• Like 3

If you do an all white one you could have it finished before the weekend which will then give you all that extra time to build more. Sadly theory doesn't always work with women wanting to look in shops that sell dresses, cushions, lamps, etc etc. And then they moan when they have to wait a mere 5mins while we nip in to the hobby shop, get what we need, pick up a new tin of enamel and pay in cash to save time. That my friend is the reality of weekends. Take your time over the camo scheme and have a nice pipe and slippers weekend

Haha, yes that is very true! My other half is working all day saturday, from 7am-7pm, so should get lots of time to do some modelling! With working on my spitfires though, i doubt I'll get much further than assembly, but even that would be quick for me!

• Like 1

12 Hours of glue, paints and other solvents! Just don't play any Hendrix or Joplin at the same time. Nobody wants to see a purple and orange spirally Vulcan

Haha!!! I don't know, I kind of do now!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

A little work has been done to this kit:

DSCF6493_zps12b5fb55.jpg

Gear doors are all on where required, and the area where the Blue Steel attaches installed. It's not a great fit, so think I'll shim that with some plasticard. The front navigation window will be left out and filled with crystal clear at a later date.

DSCF6494_zps8b00c434.jpg

The Blue Steel has gone together with no drama, awaiting rescribing and priming.

DSCF6495_zps7a71cb02.jpg

Cockpit installed, and will just be painted flat black; very little will be seen.

DSCF6496_zps82e90af3.jpg

Ejector pins sanded down a bit to help improve fit. More to follow, hoping this will come together fairly quickly :)

Val

• Like 3

Looks like a great, if tiny kit! Nice work so far :)

Thanks, yeah the kit does look great. The panel lines are way too heavy for the scale, on the other hand any panel lines would probably be over scale in 1/200, and it would be a boring model without them! The fit looks great, apart from the bomb bay insert. I'm waiting for putty to dry off in ejector pin holes in the intakes, but I'm sure if that's really necessary in this scale either, tbf.

• Like 1

Your right about the lines but with paint they get less noticeable, looking great ;)

Indeed. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have them then not, and a few layers of paint will calm 'em down :)

• Like 1

I'm at about the same stage with mine. I know what you mean about the missile insert fit not being that good, I've shimmed mine as well. It was the first time I have used Plasticard and I don't know how I ever manged before without it!

I think I am going to go for the all over white scheme for mine. I should start a WIP thread for mine as well, then we could swap notes! :)

• Like 2

I'm at about the same stage with mine. I know what you mean about the missile insert fit not being that good, I've shimmed mine as well. It was the first time I have used Plasticard and I don't know how I ever manged before without it!

I think I am going to go for the all over white scheme for mine. I should start a WIP thread for mine as well, then we could swap notes! :)

Cool, will be great to see yours as well. Yes, this will also be my first time shimming!! I'm going for the green/grey over white, so will be great to see both decal options up and running. If hannants still have these on special offer, I might just get another to do the white one.

• Like 1

I never shimmed any of mine even though the bay is loose. I just went around it with poly and flooded it from the back, left it and you have no gap. Watch the lower half nose section it snaps easy but on some wants to bend in at a funny angle near the tip.

I love these but wishes they would also blow it up to 1/72

• Like 1

I never shimmed any of mine even though the bay is loose. I just went around it with poly and flooded it from the back, left it and you have no gap. Watch the lower half nose section it snaps easy but on some wants to bend in at a funny angle near the tip.

I love these but wishes they would also blow it up to 1/72

Cool, thanks for the tips. I've dry-fitted and it seems ok at the front if I push it in first... I'll be extra careful :)

• 2 months later...

Hi all!!

Ok, a little more done to this kit. Up to Christmas is a busy time of year for me at work, plus I'm doing a degree in maths, and was away with the other half over Christmas so not much has happened. To be honest, I also slightly lost my mojo for this kit. Don't get me wrong, the kit is excellent, but after the Tamiya Mustang and Airfix Seafire, it's just not fallen together like I thought it would.

There's a few gaps to tidy up:

92AC599C-4165-4D6F-80EA-63C50D37FFE6_zps

8D24605A-AB75-4759-848C-D5AF2EC99AD7_zps

And this is after plasticard was applied to the plate to reduce the gaps:

EB29BC2D-E3EB-4E23-9BD6-18C7CA55EAD0_zps

I will fill the gaps probably with Perfect Plustic Putty and wipe away the excess with a moistened cotton bud.

The intakes were a very average fit. I flooded them with extra thin cement, and then filled the sizeable seems with Mr Putty which was filed down, and then finished off with a cotton bud dipped in cellulose thinners. This is what they look like primed up:

F27C0FF4-987A-482A-ADD1-DD310934EFFD_zps

I'm happy enough with the results. I think I'll paint them now, mask them and fit them; the fit seems to be good enough to do this. Unless anyone has any ideas?

9B5917A2-CC7A-45B0-85A1-715E4D0622ED_zps

The missile fitted great, all primed up and ready to go.

So, after she's gap-filled, I'll polish her all down and prime her. I'll try and keep her as smooth and glossy as possible.

More to follow soon!

Cheers,

Val

• Like 2

Val happy new year. I can't remember what scheme your going for but if its camo. Have a look at my build xm597 and the tiddler xm595. I paint the intakes white first. then I take the top fuselage half and paint the green and then mask off and paint the grey on the insides of the forward intakes as this is how they are designed to give you the clean white edge which is where it should be on model and helpfully molded to aid this.

Then you can blue tak the insides for the rest of the paint process to do your white belly then at the later stages push the mask back a little to reveal the edge of the green then spray the green, Then push the mask back a little more to find the grey. mask off the green then do the grey. That way you will have everything were it should be will no fuss. Just a bit of a fiddle. Its certainly the easiest Vulcan to get this aspect right.

As regards the fit issues of the bombay and tail. on all mine I just flooded with Poly and the gap fills wit the plastic.

Looking great Keep up the good work.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Val happy new year. I can't remember what scheme your going for but if its camo. Have a look at my build xm597 and the tiddler xm595. I paint the intakes white first. then I take the top fuselage half and paint the green and then mask off and paint the grey on the insides of the forward intakes as this is how they are designed to give you the clean white edge which is where it should be on model and helpfully molded to aid this.

Then you can blue tak the insides for the rest of the paint process to do your white belly then at the later stages push the mask back a little to reveal the edge of the green then spray the green, Then push the mask back a little more to find the grey. mask off the green then do the grey. That way you will have everything were it should be will no fuss. Just a bit of a fiddle. Its certainly the easiest Vulcan to get this aspect right.

As regards the fit issues of the bombay and tail. on all mine I just flooded with Poly and the gap fills wit the plastic.

Looking great Keep up the good work.

you're a genius! That will make things loads easier!! Thanks mate, updates to follow!

:thumbsup:

Val

• Like 1

you're a genius! That will make things loads easier!! Thanks mate, updates to follow!

:thumbsup:

Val

Cheers mate not sure about genius but I do tend to get around things, Except maths they are problems I stuggle with.

This method is great As you can paint both parts of the intakes then fit the white inner parts before assembly. Be careful to line then up before setting as there is some leeway either way and I would not flood any glue were it can creep into the edge and destroy the paint work.

Good luck.

Also if you want to get a deeper green as it appeared back then I used HU66 which looks more like how HU163 used to look 20 years ago. Rather than the pale vivid green it has been in recent years. That said I picked up some new HU163 Enamel in the new UK Made Blue label tins and it looks like it used to 20 years ago a nice deep brownish green.

Rob, some great tips there, I'm doing my second Vulcan in the camo scheme and will paint the intakes seperately.

How did you go about masking the canopy and the round side porthole windows?

Cheers

Tom

Lol that's my next question as well :D

I did'nt I painted them after the klear coat with very thinned down black paint using flow improver as the thinner with guitar string and capillary action,

most the time looking at vulcans they appear black anyhow. But you could have ago at masking them with pva like I do my bigger vulcans... Good game that !

The following links I have included to help as I have built this kit over 20 times now with more to do (Addict I know..)

The 1st one and last one cover the scheme you are doing the last one being the same airframe you are doing if your making the kit version though I opted for the earlier version of that scheme minus the refuelling probe.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936632-1st-one-finished-dragon-vulcan-b1a-2-b1-big-surgery-for-3-small-kits/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946977-vulcan-xl426-vdf-1983/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968487-at-it-again-another-vulcan/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956570-tiddler-flys-over-forest-of-sponge-;-vulcan-duo-build-xm597-xm595-airfix-dragon-172-1200/page-10

If you want to make an Improvement that will not only be visual but stronger too. Fit a steel sewing needle for the refuelling probe. I use ASDA multipacks that are about a quid and have many sizes but they are made from strong steel that is not brittle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Very minor update:

IMG_2609_zpsa8a1b33c.jpg

Did say it was minor smile.gif

First attempt at gloss work. It's Tamiya's X-2 thinned with Mr Color 400 self levelling thinner. She just needs one more coat, really thin, just to hopefully gloss her up. I might polish her with some compounds if I think it needs it, but I'm quite happy so far.

More to follow!

Val

• Like 1