My first WIP thread. Revell 1/72 Memphis Belle

logical

Progress has stalled at the moment. Started to paint the main colour scheme on and it looks terrible. So I'm going to wait now until my new Airbrush and compressor arrives. I went for the model that Darth recommended. I have a Badger airbrush in the kitchen cupboard so I'll use that with the enamel paint to start with as i know how it works. Then I'll play around with the other two that come with the compressor before starting the next project. :)

Fairy power spray would be my suggestion.

I used it on a model of the starship enterprise and it left the panel lines etc intact. You put the parts in something like a bin bag in the case of a large model, spray it on, leave it for several hours (with the bag sealed) and wash it off with a shower using a toothbrush to remove the paint.

I have gotta do the same to another enterprise kit where the paint didn't take particularly well.

Hope this helps.

Rick

• 1 month later...

Well it's still not finished :-( Sadly it's unlikely to be either. I emailed Revell for a new sprue of clear. And to their credit they sent them free of charge. BUT for the 1/48 scale one. So looks like I'll have to put all that hard work into buying another. So I may go for a 1/48 if I do. Or try and finish it with incorrect clear parts.

Don't give up!

You have done some lovely work so far.

What is up with the kit now? Put out a plea to fellow BM members, someone might be able to help you out with parts. Check the for sale section, or post in the wanted section.

Yeah have a crack!

I've had plenty I thought would never make it and then just from plugging away they seem to get there.

I call it ......chip, chip, chip away.

Little by little, small amounts of time, small continued efforts .......it can turn around and you can be amazed.

If you can't strip the paint on there now just wait till that airbrush arrives and give it all a once over in an Olive Drab....it will look the bees knees.

Cheers

Bruce

• 1 month later...

I did some more work to the Belle tonight. Installed engines, cowling, undercarriage and the glass I had that isn't quite right. But i'm not a rivet counter. As long as it looks right to me....

Will take some pictures in the morning. Then masking up for the airbrush will commence. Need to finish my Defiant too.

Hi, disasters do tend to happen! No worry.

Why not give it a gentle sand paper rub and start again with a paint brush and some Humbrol enamel OD, diluted to +/- 20%? A couple of coats should leave you with a nicely painted model.

There is nothing wrong with brush painting. It is just a bummer to mess such a big plane.

Cheers

JR