1/72 Revell Blohm & Voss Bv P-194

Looking good Nigel.

You do have to wonder who checks Revell's instructions at times!

And why can't they do them in colour? Would it cost that much more?

I've used Gunze acrylics for the last decade are they are best out there IMHO.

Karl

• Like 1

I have cracked on rather well this morning. First I got the RLM 02 and 71 applied:

P1080822_zpsedb72733.jpg

When unmasking one of the struts the stupid, flimsy thing broke on me. No bother, I trimmed and drilled it out and inserted some indestructible 0.8mm brass rod:

P1080823_zpsb5e9d6c4.jpg

Next I got some Alclad Airframe Aluminium on the front of the jet, prop and struts followed by Burnt Iron on the rear of the jet and some Anthracite on the prop spinner:

P1080824_zpscfe5ec86.jpg

Time for a spot of unmasking, I don't remember ever removing such a complex, multi-layering of masking but it was rather satisfying:

P1080825_zpsc01c1b8b.jpg

P1080826_zps49f9b259.jpg

Inevitably a bit of touching up is required here and there, probably the worst was here where the tape pulled off some filler:

P1080827_zps41dd2652.jpg

At least no major disasters, no overspray and all the edges are sharp with no detectable edge build up thanks to these excellent paints. I think this is a good result.

• Like 7

No, Nigel it is not a good result, it is an excelent result!

One question though, how do you get the drill started?

When I try, I find the drill tries to skate across the surface, and won't " bite" in where I want it to.

I agree with you on the Mr colour Nigel - great paints. I am going to get some of their acrylics and see what they are like

I think you'll find Mr colour and Mr Hobby Aqueous i.e. the acrylic are very different: What Nigel is using the lacquer based one- Mr colour- which is rarer than rocking horse manure in the UK, has near magical properties of drying, hair regrowth and the effect of making all who use it irresistible to women (e.g. Nigel).

The acrylic on the other is just paint albeit with a lot of vowels in the name.

Also there is no U in Mr C but the BM forum autocorrects it. This does not of course change its magical attributes in any way.

• Like 2

No, Nigel it is not a good result, it is an excelent result!

One question though, how do you get the drill started?

When I try, I find the drill tries to skate across the surface, and won't " bite" in where I want it to.

I assume you are using something like a centre punch to start the hole? I.e. use the punch or fine pin to make a little dent that then locates the drill. If you did metal work in school it should all come flooding back...

Looking the part now. The aluminium really sets it off. Still reckon it would fly round in circles though.

S5 modeller

Ditto azureglo, I use a scriber, needle, pin or similar as a centre-punch which stops the drill from skating.

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 1

Next I unmasked the prop and the errant undercarriage door:

P1080828_zps5ff7b249.jpg

I then put some wear marks on the prop with my trusty silver pencil:

P1080829_zpsb1fd1bc0.jpg

I glued on the radial engine, did the paint touch ups and gave the plane a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss:

P1080830_zps11ce9fac.jpg

Note the Blu Tack handle. I now prefer Aqua Gloss to Klear for glossing as it is more forgiving to apply.

I also varnished the prop and U/C doors as they all have decals on or need it for weathering:

P1080831_zps9fd33e72.jpg

Time for some decalling action. :yahoo:

• Like 3

I think you'll find Mr colour and Mr Hobby Aqueous i.e. the acrylic are very different: What Nigel is using the lacquer based one- Mr colour- which is rarer than rocking horse manure in the UK, has near magical properties of drying, hair regrowth and the effect of making all who use it irresistible to women (e.g. Nigel).

The acrylic on the other is just paint albeit with a lot of vowels in the name.

Also there is no U in Mr C but the BM forum autocorrects it. This does not of course change its magical attributes in any way.

Firstly I'm glad Nigel likes the paints, I've been telling him to get some for ages (and actually gave him some pots of Mr Color from my own stash which I wouldn't have done if I'd known it had all those extra magical powers, could it make me play the guitar better for instance? Or would it just make my guitars hairer? Nitrocellulose finish on them so best not experiment).

I have to say that I have both the Mr Color (Lacquer based acrylic) and the Mr Hobby (Aqueous based acrylic) and find very little difference in actual use. The Lacquer based paint does dry rock hard but the water based stuff isn't much softer and sprays just as well. I use the Mr Color Thinners to spray them both so maybe that is why I don't see much of a difference in the way they handle.

I think there has been a recent rebranding at Gunze as the Mr Hobby and Mr Color paint pots were labelled very differently but I notice that Nigel's new paints have both Mr Color and Mr Hobby names on the label but looks very much like the old Mr Color label. I'd be curious to know if these are the Aqueous paints in a new pot or the old (and now illegal in the EU) Lacquer paints that have somehow sneaked under the radar of Brussels.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I did not buy any new kits at Telford but I did stock up on essential modelling materials including a good lot of Mr Color paints, mainly the lacquer type but also a few acrylic pots (with the green label) which I have not tried yet:

P1080724_zpsa6ae2e57.jpg

Oh, bother I have just revealed Duncan's birthday present and will now miss out on his little face lighting up.

• Like 9

Oh, is it the RLM 65, I go through heaps of that stuff?

Did you get both volumes of the German Fighters books? They are well worth the pennies, I got them at the Scottish Nationals this year.

I'm surprised you managed to get some of the lacquers as I thought they were banned in the EU now, must have been some old stock MDC managed to get hold of! Wish I'd known they had some as I would have bought some more to store away (although I already have plenty and don't seem to use them as the Aqueous Mr Hobby stuff is just as good IMO).

DB

More bother, now I have to find you a new birthday present. I did think you might have the book. Would you like another FineMoulds 410A-3? I have one of those (but I want to build it damn it!!). Would it be OK if I just pay for the curry?

MDC had the lacquer paints at Telford but I did hear them say that there were no replacement stocks. By the end of the show a lot of the racks were empty.

• Like 1

I got on with the decalling - how were they? Not too bad but they were a little brittle, this one started to break up but I managed to cobble it back together:

P1080832_zps47754434.jpg

I got most of the big ones on:

P1080833_zps49bf7749.jpg

As well as these stencils on the bomb bay doors:

P1080834_zps015cc109.jpg

This is as far as I think I will get tonight:

P1080835_zps2130fd99.jpg

There are still lots of stencils to do as you can see but I think I will call it a night for now.

Bye,

Nigel

• Like 10

More bother, now I have to find you a new birthday present. I did think you might have the book. Would you like another FineMoulds 410A-3? I have one of those (but I want to build it damn it!!). Would it be OK if I just pay for the curry?

MDC had the lacquer paints at Telford but I did hear them say that there were no replacement stocks. By the end of the show a lot of the racks were empty.

No I most definitely wouldn't like another Finemolds 410, awful things, I'm still traumatised by the one I've just managed to wrestle to completion :frantic: (I've still got one in the stash which at this point in time I'd have to be forced at gunpoint to build)! I appreciate the thought though.

Curry can never be wrong, the hotter the better :boom:

DB

• Like 2