1/72 Revell Blohm & Voss Bv P-194

Well none Vanja, I award you with the prestige of winning my competition.

Much better...

I saw them before him.

But my computer is out of red ink.

Better keep it full for next time. :D

• Like 1

The girls looking after the reception to the Model Show were very cute, so I had to get a picture of them didn't I?

P1080527_zpse2821671.jpg

I told them is was for our club show report - well it is in a way isn't it?

The fit of the Milliput seat cushion was pretty much spot on, needing only minimal cleaning up:

P1080528_zps9985e2cc.jpg

I used my spirit burner to add weighted flat spots to the main undercarriage wheels:

P1080529_zps5d39793d.jpg

I was quite pleased with how they came out with the legs fitted:

P1080530_zpsb0134e2d.jpg

I decided that the prop and spinner should be glued together and then the gaps filled:

P1080531_zps31000ade.jpg

Back at home all these parts were ready for some primer:

P1080532_zps808be5c1.jpg

It was getting a bit late but I got that job done after dinner:

P1080534_zps302f1c0f.jpg

I will see how they have come out and probably wait until tomorrow evening before applying the colour coats.

• Like 4

Nigel, you're a machine, an assembly line, this is what, your 7th, 8th model this year (with all the thingies you added for Banana dio and Stilleto tow truck)? And it's already past halfway mark as far as I can tell...

• Like 2

Here is tonight's update. On the tail wheel I used my pin tool to try to create the illusion that the wheel was separate from the strut:

P1080536_zpscaa3dda5.jpg

The coat of primer revealed that some further filling and sanding was required:

P1080537_zpsa0cb33cd.jpg

I had pretty much got rid of the ejector marks in the wheel wells but the fit around the side walls was not great:

P1080538_zpsb0194152.jpg

I had a long hard think about that and decided to leave them as they were - it would be a difficult filling job and who looks at the underside of models anyway?

P1080539_zps97cd1d83.jpg

I hope you can forgive me for my lazy ways.

Tonight I got some of the colour coats on, here is the Vallejo RLM 02 in the undercarriage areas:

P1080540_zpsd381938f.jpg

I used this Humbrol Blue Grey ilo of true RLM66 for the cockpit area as that colour is so dark everything in there would just disappear:

P1080541_zpsc36e9a36.jpg

(Note the clean fuselage edges after I removed the masking).

But for a bit of tonal variation I did use Vallejo RLM 66 for the seat:

P1080542_zps4bed5679.jpg

When that lot has hardened up it will mean I am getting very close to closing up the fuselages - most exciting!!

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 2

If someone is looking at the bottom of your kit, I believe it is fair to say they are looking for flaws. Undersides are really only interesting when there is a weapons loadout. I don't think a large percentage of model manufacturer R & D is going towards building a better underwing.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the kit is really shaping up. As for the lighter grey interior; paint supplies in Germany were not the best at the end of the war and to stretch them out, a bit of white paint was added to the lot of dark grey paint resulting in your color. Hey, let someone prove you wrong on this story. Insist on a color photo to support their criticism; that should be interesting.

• Like 3

g-usa, as I have said before, you are priceless. Love that.

Again colour spelt properly, most excellent. You without doubt qualify for British citizenship and would be most welcome on these shores.

Now I have to go to bed,

Bye,

Nigel

I have painted the seat with Vallejo RLM66 and the cockpit tub with Humbrol 79 Blue Grey enamel:

P1080543_zps01613ee4.jpg

I then did a bit of detail painting of my own mixture of dark grey on the cockpit instrument panels, tail wheel and joy stick:

P1080545_zps9319160f.jpg

I was going to mask the newly painted undercarriage wells but detected an area that needed some more RML02:

P1080546_zpse9184e93.jpg

I put a Flory dark dirt wash on the tail wheel and its well - I think this can now be closed up:

P1080547_zps347dc882.jpg

Here we go:

P1080549_zpsf7c57f25.jpg

That seemed to go well enough.

Bye from me for tonight,

Nigel

• Like 2

Tonight I had a look at the radial engine with a view to adding some detailing, this is what a BMW 801 engine should look like:

17BMW801MLRadialEngine.jpg

This is what the kit provides:

ec60a414-9aca-4a1c-9062-3a9fc5039a53_zps

So nothing like reality, I suspected it would be bad but not this bad. I am now thinking of forgetting the engine and just closing up the side panels.

Thinking about closing up the cockpit gondola I needed to finish of the pit and some seat belts are required, I have recently come into possession of these old Reheat belts which will be pressed into service:

P1080552_zps7870e3ba.jpg

I first annealed the fabric part of the belts with my trusty spirit burner and fixed them to some sprue and Blue Tac:

P1080553_zps0175dc7b.jpg

These belts turned out to be thin and very soft after the heat treatment process and were easily formed into the required shapes:

P1080555_zps362d95f7.jpg

I used Alclad Chrome to brush paint the buckles as it is so fine grained it would not clog the apertures:

P1080556_zps34016052.jpg

To paint the fabric portion of the belts I looked out some Humbrol Cream enamel I had but there was only little left in the tin and it was going a bit lumpy. I have this Brush Mate Fluid solvent which has the property of stopping oil paints going off in the tin so I added a few drops of that along with some cellulose thinners and white spirit which (sort of) made the paint useable

P1080557_zps95aaade9.jpg

With the belts painted and the decision made about the engine I could assemble that and send it off to the paint shop:

P1080558_zps93650a6c.jpg

I then did a bit more detail painting on the cockpit tub:

P1080559_zps3c390629.jpg

The next step for that is a coat of Klear and a wash of some sort. Well that is as far as I have got tonight so its bye from me, cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3

Let me get this straight, you scratch build essentially an entire tractor, but the prospect of detailing an engine is daunting for you? I am confused. Aren't you Nigel the Innovative; Nigel the Creative, Nigel the Metallurgist? Drill a hole here or there, add some bits of plastic, string a little wire about, paint it black and; voila, an engine. This should be easy peasy for you.

Or, in the alternative, I would assume there are more than a few 801 engines in resin.

You can do this!!

• Like 1

My dear chap you are keeping me in suspense with the final scheme. However the two young ladies in your photo plus the wacky coloured liquid (meths?) with very long flame is more than compensatory in the meantime :D:D

• Like 1

Thanks, the kit engine is such a poor base to start from and don't forget I nearly binned the tractor. Good point about aftermarket engines, the same thought had crossed my mind but I had not followed it up. A few key taps later I did find this at Hannants. Now I am in a real quandary, it looks like it would need a lot of adapting and I think the model may look better closed up. Not sure...