Deleted

nheather

Hi Nigel

well, it helps to know the swastika dimension, and type. You might want to use the 'full editor' facilty and edit the subject heading.

alternately, do a non-German scheme, they were also used by Bulgaria, Finland and Romania, and captured ones by the Norwegians

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/admiral-hipper-arado-ar-196-lost-during.html

and Soviets

found this online http://petersplanes.com/avions/ar196/ar196.htm

Arado196%20decals.jpg

or even British...

scan669.jpg

Arado AR 196. Air Ministry 192.

I didn't know the Finns used them so that was worth looking up :)

cheers

T

• Like 1

I'm by no means a historian and I'm not too bothered if it isn't 100% accurate. All the photos I have seen (including real archive ones) have been like this

arado_ar-196-s.gif

I'll have to work out what dimension that would be in 1/32. Should be fairly easy to work at as the diagonal seems to be about the width of the rudder. Will get the kit out and measure.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

It's is against the law in Germany to display or sell the Swastika on anything. Some kits break the image up into 2 pieces. Haunts have a sheet that has various types and sizes. Tamiya had then in box on the 190A-3, but Airfix 109F I did did not. When movies are filmed there a specific certificate must be applied for. I am told that was the case in Tom Cruise move (??? mind gone blank) Bombing Plot.

My husband is building this kit.

'Arado 196 All models' by 'Top Drawings' has swastikas, instrument panel decals and a selection of schemes in 72nd, 48th and 32nd.

It also has 32nd scale drawings. It's only drawback is the lack of photos.

Here's a photo of the swastikas and instrument panel decals you get with the booklet:-

IMG_0605.jpg

Thanks for the info. Could you do be a favour?

Would you measure the length of the side of the 1:32 swastika? - Measuring along the length of the join for example.

I'm expecting it to be around 11-12mm from the guesswork I have done.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Maybe take a look at Ju 87 or Bf 109 (maybe even Ju 52, Ju 88 or He 111) aftermarket decal sheets. There are plenty available and some can be had pretty cheaply.

I also remember seeing a chart somewhere that had swastika sizes (full size in mm) listed for different aircraft, but can't remember where it was... :tumble:

Edited by Don McIntyre

If it helps, according to the info sheet in my Xtradecal 1/72 swastikas decal sheet, Ar196s used a 430mm Hakenkreuz . . .

Many thanks. If I have my maths right, that would make them 19mm across the diagonal for 1:32 which seems to be on the large side against the kit rudder compared with archive photos.

Hang on though, just googled Hakenkreuz and that is the red rectangle, white circle, plain black swastika.

Like this one

2_11.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Thanks for the info. Could you do be a favour?

Would you measure the length of the side of the 1:32 swastika? - Measuring along the length of the join for example.

I'm expecting it to be around 11-12mm from the guesswork I have done.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Yes, they are 12mm along one of the sides. I hope this helps

• Like 1

If it helps, according to the info sheet in my Xtradecal 1/72 swastikas decal sheet, Ar196s used a 430mm Hakenkreuz . . .

430 divided by 32 = 13.44 mm

Hang on though, just googled Hakenkreuz and that is the red rectangle, white circle, plain black swastika.

Hakenkreuz = literally 'hooked cross' Means any swastika.

the one shown is just the standard pre-war marking.

430 divided by 32 = 13.44 mm

Hakenkreuz = literally 'hooked cross' Means any swastika.

the one shown is just the standard pre-war marking.

I have always assumed that is the length of the side. So the diagonal would be

Sqrt (13.44 x 13.44 x 2) = 19mm

From what I have seen of archive the diagonal of the swastike fits between the trim tab on the rudder to the rudder hinge. On my model that is no more than 17mm.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes, they are 12mm along one of the sides. I hope this helps

That would make them around 400mm in full size.

And the decal diagonal would be 17mm which is tie up with the measurements I have done on the kit part.

Nice to have confirmation - thanks very much.

Unfortunately it does mean that the cheap Xtradecal decals won't do and I'll have to go for the more expensive Aeromaster ones.

Cheers,

Nigel

I've ressurected parts of this thread before it turned into a wanted ad, to include the various reference aspects that were discussed. I have however left the various comments about the legality or otherwise of the Swastika hidden, as they're not relevant. :)

• Like 1