Altimeter Kollsman type Mk XIV 6a/577 info needed

doorgunner

Hello, I am scratchbuilding the altimeter for my Mk I Spitfire dashboard in 1/1 scale and I need some information and pictures of this particular altimeter coded 6A/577.

I cannot find any picture of it, and think it is a very early one.

More or less is the same as the ones you can find Googling this a/m number, but all of them have a curved windows below the hands.

Mine seems to have a rectangular one, as it can be seen from a screenshots taken from the famous "daily inspection of a spitfire", attached below.

altimetrook_zps7a9a5f5b.jpg

Who can help me with some pics, please ?
TIA

Ciao

Maurizio

• 3 weeks later...

Most instruments conformed to a standard set of dimensions which manufacturers had to follow. That said, the change between versions is usually the internals. The hole dimensions likewise were fixed and for that type altimeter the aperture for setting the barometric pressure should be curved.

Keep an eye on eBay as the one you want may come up and will possibly be cheaper to buy than go through the hassle of trying to scratch build one - although be very careful because of the radium paint. It's nasty stuff!

Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Smiths-MK-14-Altimeter-SR-43-Spitfire-or-Hurricane-/111505432190?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item19f63dde7e

I've attached a diagram from my 1942 Kollsman reference book if it helps.

alt.jpg

It depends on how the ambient pressure is displayed/set on the internals. Some had a circular disc, on which figures were displayed, and which rotated as the setting knob was turned (hence the curved window.) Others (as in the picture above) were set by a mechanism akin to the mileometer on your car, with four inter-connected drums, which rotated as the knob was turned.

Hello OneEightBit and Edgar and thank you so much for this precious indications. My panel is made from scratch and most of the instrument cases comes from original instruments. These has been purchased, disassembled, cleaned as new, the case copied in black resin, re-assembled and sold away.
I am now completing the phase of drawing with pc all the faces of the instruments that will be printed onto satin photo paper....it is a long process, this is my third panel and I took an average built time of one year each. But I found this so fun !

Altimeter as the one I was looking for was rare on Spit, respect to the many, many "standard" type seen on wartime pictures or onboard warbirds, even if they respect perfectly the part number indicated in panle original drawings.

At the moment my panel is complete, and just a doubt remain....I wanted to do a Mk I panel, with doubled fuel indicator, ammeter and voltmeter. I wonder if the empy hole for flap position indicator must be present or not ? What a dilemma, but if I don't decide, show cannot go on !

Thanks maurizio