Ernst Udet was the second highest German fighter ace of the first world war, second only to Manfred von Richthofen, his friend and commander. Udet was the youngest ace, being 22 years old when the war ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Udet

This build is part of my attempt to get out of my comfort zone this year. This thread was originally intended to be entitled Ernst Udet - the man and his machine. I was going to build a 1/16 figure of Udet himself and a 1/48 model of his Fokker D.VII. Sadly, the Fokker never really got off the ground (if you'll pardon the pun). It is in prpogress but there is no way that it will be finished by the end of the GB. If no one objects, I will still document the build here, but it will only be finished probably in early December.

Here are the two boxes. The figure is the MiniArt 1/16 kit. The Fokker is the Eduard 1/48 kit. You can see Udet's famous D.VII in the background of the figure boxart, which is taken from a very famous portrait. The aircraft was pretty much overall red with white stripes on the upper wing. The slogan across the tail read Du doch nicht - "definitely not you"! :D However, the Fokker I shall build (eventually) will be one of his earlier aircraft with lozenge camouflage which I think looks far more interesting.

001.jpg

Here are the contents of the box... very few parts - so hopefully I should be able to finish in time! :fool: It has a very nice wood-effect plinth.

002.jpg

After about ten minutes work the majority of the building is complete!

003.jpg

Now comes the fun part...

The torso and left arm form one assembly. The legs and jacket coat form another. The lower legs have just been wedged in for the photo.

004.jpg

I had no end of problems finding a suitable colour for the uniform. It is feldgrau. One would think that there would be a decent feldgrau colour straight from the pot, but I haven't found one yet. Tamiya XF-65 looks far too green. I think it would be a good match for later war uniforms. The two Lifecolor choices are far too pale. The Vallejo German Grey is just a weird blue green!

In the end I used Xtracrylix XA1221 RLM63 Lichtgrau. The puttees were painted with the darker of the two Vallejo colours. The whole thing was then given a wash of MIG Cold Grey Wash to highlight seam lines. The same wash was concentrated in shadow areas.

Good start. There is some conjuncture about the stripes on the upper wing, and I believe the general consensus now is that they were white and black

• Like 1

Good start. There is some conjuncture about the stripes on the upper wing, and I believe the general consensus now is that they were white and black

All my sources agree on that. However, the aircraft I will be building will be an earlier one than that. It will have the standard lozenge camouflage with black and white edging to the fuselage panels. Of course, it will have Udet's usual "Lo!" personal marking.

http://www.iart7.com/WARBIRDS/gallery%20photos/DVII_640.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...