HKM 1/32 B-17... NMF Workhorse

So I bit the bullet and got down to painting the national insignia... I was feeling a bit conflicted at this point; on one hand there was a a pretty high probability that I would make an entire dog's breakfast of the whole affair and end up ruining the whole build, it was not too late and I could still use the transfers. On the other hand, the whole idea behind making the masks was that I preferred the painted on look... and I had invested too much time in making the things not to use them now... so on I went. After a few dabs of Maskol, first on was on ever-so-slightly dirty white over the whole area of the insignia which was allowed to dry, then the whole mask went back on with the backing paper still in place, and was taped down once in the right position. One side was then peeled back and the portions of the mask which would be remaining, ie the white areas of the job had the backing paper removed. This side was then lowered back in to place, taped down, and the other side was lifted and had the appropriate bits of backing removed before being stuck down again. This should in theory have got the sticky bits of the mask in exactly the right places, I then just had to remove all of the surrounding bits and I was ready to go with the insignia blue...

How happy am I with the result? Well it's not perfect by any manner of means, but for a late war aircraft after dozens of missions I kind of hoping to get away with thinking that there would have been damage to repaint in the field and that the end result might not have been exactly factory accurate...

56A47B22-5FDB-4040-81CB-FCB386EB408F_zps

D5C3F5BB-A633-433C-B982-93E7D717CBA4_zps

67ABE992-B5F1-4AF2-937C-7735F882938B_zps

One thing which I've discovered is that any over-spray of the acrylics can be cleaned up even when dry with a cotton bud and some airbrush cleaner without affecting t he Alclad. This is a good thing as I'll definitely have to take a cocktail stick soaked in the stuff to the edge of that port side marking.

Also got the serial number and the final aircraft code on to the tail:

6257578F-0354-48A1-A342-3ED780F1B014_zps

A little bit wonky I'm afraid, and particularly don't look at the 4...

You just did, didn't you...

One upshot of all of this messing about is that I still have the pristine, almost in tact Kitsworld transfer sheet number KW132083, from which I'll only be using the nose art and airframe information stencil. The serial numbers, squadron codes and group markings have not been used. Similarly with the stencilling and national insignia sheet number 132069, I will use all of the little bits but the actual national insignia will be untouched.If anyone would like either or both of these then let me know and they can go gratis to a good home, I'll even pay the postage.

Next up... on with the transfers...

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Peter

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I really am getting pretty close to the end now... just got to remind myself to take my time and not rush things just to get it finished. I do tend to suffer from buck fever towards the end of a build...

Got the exhausts done and fitted:

C87BACEE-F84B-41AD-B7C3-9ED7C75286FE_zps

Likewise the wheels:

BBE8B66B-4E3B-4EE9-A4C5-B66B6CF9F65E_zps

And the other one:

0AC29C0A-3AC1-49CC-B2A3-A6192382D9B6_zps

Sorry about the iPhone pics, the flash really makes things look harsh.

I did the distinctive exhaust staining with Tamiya Rubber Black, I was going to add some smoke or light grey to the edges but thought I'd stick with what I'd done seeing as I was pretty happy with it.

So here she is in all her - admittedly upside down - glory...

FABB28E1-E79D-4560-9C28-CE5C66655D57_zps

There are just a couple more sticky out bits for underneath then I can turn the whole thing over, after that it's just a case of adding the mid-upper turret, one more transfer on the nose, some aerials, guns and props, and we are good to go... with any luck this should be finished tomorrow night and in RFI with proper pictures by the weekend... Amazing what can be accomplished when one's wife is in Malaysia for a few days.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for sticking with it... Now what should I build next? An adversary; Hasegawa Dora or Trumpeter 109G; a protector, Tamiya Mustang; or something completely different?

Regards,

Peter

Well it is done... I'm calling it finished for now. May do a spot more weathering but will leave well enough alone for the time being. Couple of disasters; some fogging on the nose glass, might be from the Alclad fumes, and I've managed to pop a seam too. Not too much I can do about any of that now, so I'll just enjoy the feeling of having finished it. Just some iPhone pics for now, Susan's back tomorrow so she can take some decent ones over the weekend:

518791DB-7299-43BC-AD8F-100F58F81991_zps

30514835-210C-4074-A900-7F5C7F7AFDA2_zps

813D303E-E230-4D76-A269-931BBEF0C3A9_zps

BFA8797B-2F14-46CE-8C6B-E4EE5A853CC2_zps

2A0B44BD-A23D-463B-8331-21AD9AF5D05F_zps

I started this kit in the middle of October... so it's given me over seven months of modelling, I've probably dropped about £100 on extras and Alclad, so let's say the whole thing cost £350, that sounds al lot, but for seven months hobby... I think it's a bargain at just over £1.55 per day.

It's been great fun, not overly demanding (except for the sheer size of it) and I still managed to make my usually high number of foul- ups, but overall I'm happy with it... or is that just happy that it's done?

Now on to one of my favourite bits: clearing down the bench and selecting another victim from the stash, maybe something a little smaller this time.

Thanks to everyone for their comments along the way, and thanks for sticking with it, I know it's been a long haul.

And now... it's time for wine.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Suddensky
  • Like 8

Thanks!!!

I'll be honest with you... I have no idea. Once I wanted to put it on it's wheels I actually had to take it downstairs to the kitchen table where I stuck the topside fiddly bits on. There was just no room for it on my bench. I've now moved it to an imposing position on the dining room table, but from there... I just don't know. Oh well... for me the fun's in the building, although it would be nice to have this on view somewhere.

I'd love one of these. Now while swmbo is happy for me to spend a couple of hundred squid on a cycling coat. She wouldn't allow me to spend it on a plane. I have the ideal place for it too. On the wall behind the telly. It'd have to be a Belle although I have seen Mother and Country decals too for these...

Gorgeous kit and really interesting watching it develop. Stunning work Peter.

• 3 months later...

WOW!!!! What a good build. I so dearly want one of these, but the South African Rand has tanked and it is horrifically expensive to buy.

Good work. As to where to put it, I saw a kit review where they said it comes with a wall mount. Did you net get that?

Edited by Drift

WOW!!!! What a good build. I so dearly want one of these, but the South African Rand has tanked and it is horrifically expensive to buy.

Good work. As to where to put it, I saw a kit review where they said it comes with a wall mount. Did you net get that?

Many Thanks, yes I did use the wall mount in the end, it just takes up too much flat surface space otherwise. It's on the wall in my study and TBH it's lost a bit of its impact now it's not standing flat.

Thanks to all for the kind comments!