Grumman F3F-3 - Special Hobby 1/72

US Navy forever!!!!

Never too many yellow wings on BM!!!

Your model is clean and beautiful. Just right!

I would possibly have not down toned the black bands on the fuselage and cowl so much compared to the upper wing, but that is just my taste.

Well done.

JR

I would possibly have not down toned the black bands on the fuselage and cowl so much compared to the upper wing, but that is just my taste.

Well done.

JR

No need to be gentle - thats not just your taste, but unfortunately a fact... ;) I am aware of that.

I repainted the cowling and fuselage strip with black. There are two original photos left for comparison.

I think the black-grey which I originally used is dark enough - btw the upper wing stripe is painted with the same color!

Problem is, I had to repair one place on starboard side of fuselage, where wash ate through the silver color.

During the following sanding and polishing, resulting ultrafine silver powder was probably rubbed into the colored places. Other culprit might be dirty airbrush - silver residue which got mixed with final varnish. I am not sure. You can see it on the Red Rippers sign, too - that is unrepairable unfortunately. I tried to polish it away or wash it away with warm water, but it didn't help.

• Like 1

Old Man, the only problem is the crude, oversized seat. Cockpit floor and side consoles fit fine - I remember lot of dry fitting was needed, but that's normal with any shortrun.

I have read many people try to thin down the fuselage sides or the consoles, but you really just need to bin the seat ;)

As a replacement, I think any US bucket seat from that period would do.

I replaced the stick, kit part is size of a scale lamp post.

And I also cut away the headrest, it makes puttying and sanding the bulkhead so much easier. Then I made a new headrest, larger. Kit part is far too small.

If you are interested, here is my Work in progress, it's in Czech, but maybe the pictures could help a bit..

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=86309&hilit=F3F&start=15