Okay... ;) Here's an odd one.

Elsewhere in this GB I am building an F1A and an F3 from the new Airfix kit. My original intention was to use the belly tank from the old, old Airfix F1A kit so I found a couple on evilbay. The release of the superb Alley Cat resin conversion set (and later on the Sword kits) put an end to all that nonsense. However, the future availability of the Alley Cat sets remains to be seen.

This made the old Airfix kits somewhat redundant but it still seemed a shame to just dump them. They had waited patiently for decades to be part of the modelling process only to have it snatched from their grasp at the last moment... I couldn't be that cruel! :fool:

In addition, back in the 60s as a young lad I never had the chance to build the Airfix Lightning, so I have decided to build one now as a nostalgia build. In this case I will be following the spirit of my builds in last year's Obsolete Kits GB. There will be no aftermarket bits used (not even the redundant seats and pilots from the new Airfix kits) but I will be using modern decals. You'll see why...

Here is the box. It is the snap-together version produced from slightly modified moulds in 1980 - at least that's what the copyright notice moulded into one of the fuselage halves says.

OK01.jpg

The sprues are typical 1960-vintage.

OK02.jpg

The stickers actually are stickers! :lol: They match the scheme from the original issue of this kit but I won't even attempt to use them. Instead I will take decals from the new airfix F2A and finish this as an F2 of 92 Sqn.

OK03.jpg

Five minutes later...

OK04.jpg

• Like 3

Good luck with this one Enzo,.......why not do it as one of the F2`s which were painted green and in sqn markings to be used as decoys around Guterslough? You could weather it to death,...bird poo on he fin etc and maybe cover any `dodgy' areas with a strategically mounted tarp,.....you could also leave out the ejector seat and fog up the canopy.

Just an idea but if you can get this kit up to the standard of the new Airfix kits,...you go for it mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That's an excellent idea, Tony. It won't happen with this one, which is a very quick build, but it's certainly something to think about for the future.

In fact, there's the germ of an idea for a future GB - the Flightless Birds GB. Many aircraft are used for ground duties long after their flying days are over. The Lightning F2s used as decoys are a perfect example. Some decoys carried weird and wonderful schemes as well. Jordanian F-104s used as decoys carried a very smart desert scheme which they had never worn in flying service. Folland Gnat T1s and Jet Provost T3s carried a silver and dayglo scheme in service but when they became maintenance airframes at Halton, the silver was replaced with Light Aircraft Grey. On my fitter's course at Cosford I spent a couple of happy hours marshalling a Red Arrows Gnat around the pan. There must be dozens of interesting decoy or maintenance schemes which could be depicted.

• Like 3

I bought a couple of these for the very same reasons, one did become a donor for my F2A to F1 build but then Ali brought out his conversion. I have to say that from the photos the shape looks good and I think you'll turn out a decent looking Lightning from it.

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The paint went on very quickly indeed. Rattle cans will do that for you! :D

The silver is an aluminium primer colour. The blue fin was sprayed with Ford Isis Blue. Oh, and there is some black primer around the canopy.

OK08.jpg

OK09.jpg

Then we have some stickers. :) Although they are actually decals, the redundant 92 Sqn ones from the Airfix F2A kit.

OK10.jpg

OK11.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finished!!! :yahoo:

In fact, it was pretty much finished weeks ago but I only took the masking off the canopy and added the pitot probe today.

I must stress that this was a fun build in the style I might have used when this kit was first released. Okay... maybe ten years after that. I'm not that old...! :lol:

OK12.jpg

OK13.jpg

OK14.jpg

OK15.jpg

OK16.jpg

OK17.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 4