Fujimi Phantom FGR2 XV416

Hi Paul:

Impressive Phabulous Phantom!!!

I liked the delicate way you put some dirt in the model, hope you get the missing part in any corner you haven't watched or any of the guys helps you!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• 1 month later...

Smashing, really smashing. I joined the Phantom world as the grey aircraft became the predominant colour. During my period ('83-'86), we upgraded from Sparrow the Skyflash and AIM 9 B to AIM 9 L, and it is this upon which I would comment. My recollection is that the Sparrows and 'B's were finished in white and the Skyflashs and 'L's light grey. The 'L's had the black fore- end, but they did not appear on the F4 until '85 ( if I recall correctly). I will need to look in my log book tomorrow as I was the first operational F4 pilot to fire both during a missile firing detachment, which was prior to their deployment on aircraft.

• Like 2

That is a fantastic build, inspirational to new guys like me. The only thing I would say is that the bare metal behind the nozzles was always sooty rather than shiny. You didn't want to catch your clobber on it on a walkround as it left great soot marks.

I saw 416 crash at Coningsby in March '75. I was out on the pan and heard what was obviously an engine on the way out. I glanced up and was just in time to see the crew bang out (safely thank God). It flew on for a bit then gradually banked and went in around the River Witham taking off the corner of a farmhouse. Now legend has it that when the firecrew got there they went charging into the farmhouse and found an old dear in the bath. Thay asked her if she knew that an aircraft had crashed in her back yard. 'No' she said 'I'm a bit deaf but i thought I heard the dog barking.'

I've got a piece of it up in the loft somewhere.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Please take my previous references to AIM 9B's to read AIM 9G's!! No idea why I referred to a missile that was historic, even when I flew the 'Toom. I would suggest that, for a cammo F4 you would be more likely to have a load of G's and Sparrows, both of which were finished in white. When I started flying Q birds armed with Lima's and Skyflash, no cammo 'Tooms were around.

• 5 years later...

XV416 is a special aircraft!  When I was at primary school XV416 flew over the school in flames after the pilot had ejected. It crashed into a river a few hundred yards away. It's a brilliant model - better looking than the real thing when I saw that last - being craned out if a river. 

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/59931?fbclid=IwAR1UNPcZIcwNyfmTXioGTQpUPbAAlGcO8dp_3qFwtMC1VFLpQ_xtz-1H1wo