Revell 1:72 Sea King - Royal Navy HAR5 - HMS Gannet SAR

I'm really enjoying this Markdip. Keep it coming.

I've got 2 Revell kits in my stash but will be using them for S-61N conversions. It's nice to see those PJ production figures too as I have a few myself.

• Like 1

Finished .... spent the day applying the weathering wash and removing same. Started with this ..

20141121_204444_zpsjcs3speq.jpg

and this ...

20141121_204428_zpseia1hluq.jpg

.. and after some time fettling away, I decided to go for a heavily weathered look, so out with the spray gun and sprayed on the "Flory" wash to give a very grimy and hard worked look, as per this ..

IMG_1127_zpsdbp67zb3.jpg

I then carefully removed all the masking ( with some trepidation) but all was fine. I then re fitted the cockpit and left it just sitting in place, aided by the sand filter, which was glued. Cargo door was fixed into the open position and the rear crew, including the windswept and interesting aircrewman, were lightly tacked into their positions.

DSC_0298_zpsd7fee9ec.jpg

I then used some thinly stretched spru to fashion the HF aerial for the Port side and after colouring it black, with a permanent marker, I super glued it into place. Here are some shots of the finished model and is my tribute to all the SAR crews including RN,RAF and HM Coastguard.

DSC_0297_zpse4a97833.jpg

DSC_0295_zps36023ea0.jpg

DSC_0296_zps6723164d.jpg

20141122_163057_zpsxh74tkra.jpg

and finally burning & turning

20141122_164654_zpsgekvy3lm.jpg

My plan is to post some better pictures up tomorrow in " Ready for Inspection" ... when there is "some" daylight to provide a better lighting source. Just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their comments and hints n tips etc.

Many Thanks

B

• Like 5

Great stuff and a lovely tribute. I do like the exhaust staining.

I'm quite interested in these Flory washes after seeing quite a few BM'ers use them. I thought it was brushed on, didn't know you could airbrush it on too. Do you thin it when airbrushing and if so what do you use to thin it, just water? I should have picked some up when I was in Telford, although I bought enough as it is :)

Edited by milktrip

That is looking superb, well done

.. Thank you, had fun with it and learned a few new techniques as well

Wow- outstanding work!!

.. cheers, appreciate you taking the time to comment.

That looks fantastic! Makes me want to build one of my own; problem is, I couldn't decide which scheme to go with, so one would end up as 3 or 4... again :/

.... The Revell kit is the best out there for a 1:72 kit and I know I will be replacing my airfix one , with a Revell version of the same type.

Great stuff and a lovely tribute. I do like the exhaust staining.

I'm quite interested in these Flory washes after seeing quite a few BM'ers use them. I thought it was brushed on, didn't know you could airbrush it on too. Do you thin it when airbrushing and if so what do you use to thin it, just water? I should have picked some up when I was in Telford, although I bought enough as it is :)

... It is a brush on and I know it's clay & water based so I thought I'd dry airbrushing it on for the exhaust staining. I liked the dirty brown effect that it gave so just left it on and sealed it in, without even attempting to wipe off with a cotton bud. I did use the normal method for the whole model though and sealed it with clear before using the airbrush method. I didn't thin it with anything, just decanted straight from the bottle after a vigorous shake.

BZ (as they say in the Navy!)

... many thanks ... and from a true WAFU too !! ... looks like I will also be the owner of a 1:48 scale Hasegawa kit come the end of next month.

• Like 1

... many thanks ... and from a true WAFU too !! ... looks like I will also be the owner of a 1:48 scale Hasegawa kit come the end of next month.

Hoorah! Looking forward to seeing what you do with that

• Like 1

Hoorah! Looking forward to seeing what you do with that

.. hoping to do a HAS 6 with all my favourite acoustic kit in the back. Going to source some PE as well .... now that will be all new to me, I don't even know what glue you use to stick PE on with !!?? :winkgrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Just been flicking through my latest copy of Airfix magazine, and have noticed that they are going to release a new tool Sea King HC4 towards the end of next year. As they have used LIDAR to scan it, hopefully we can have an accurate 'King to look forward to!

• Like 1