Revell 1:72 Sea King - Royal Navy HAR5 - HMS Gannet SAR

Thank you .. was going to paint them but simply placed the stretched spru in some kitchen roll and ran the marker pen along its length. No mess and able to fit almost immediately. Fiddly though and will probably hear the bits I lost being sucked into hoover tomorrow

What you need is a small hand held Dyson. You can hear the parts being sucked up and can see them in the clear dust pot. Just empty onto a surface and pick through until bits found. That's experience. Got my serial numbers in the post today, blimey some are painfully small. Oh well, needs must

What you need is a small hand held Dyson. You can hear the parts being sucked up and can see them in the clear dust pot. Just empty onto a surface and pick through until bits found. That's experience. Got my serial numbers in the post today, blimey some are painfully small. Oh well, needs must

Hehe !!! ... glad you got your serial numbers, now we can see the WIP begin :winkgrin: .... decals looking promising this end

What a wierd thread this has become .. has everything from underslung bovines, guinea pigs and henry the hoovers !!!

Been a great run so far though..thanks for all comments. Final push next week, decal pending.

Enjoy your weekend 🚁✈

Small update .. decided to try and fashion a SACRU from parts of the spare sprus. This kit comes with Sea Skua missiles and carriers, as fitted to the German Mk 41, so I decided to use one of the carriers ( part 160) as it looked as if it could be cut up and used to fashion something resembling a SACRU hook. The results below are good enough for me. I simply cut bits off here and there, melted a couple of holes in them and thread some stretched spru through the holes and hey presto .. one SACRU !!

20141116_152139_zpst9m0jupt.jpg

I've painted the main hook a metallic colour and the cables have been painted a sort of brown/beige colour, this represents the plastic covering that appears to cover the steel cables. I've only test fitted it the the model and the scale seems ok. When fitting it permanently, I will just glue the hook in it's central position and bend the thin cables into position before attaching and cutting off any excess.

I did try and fashion a main cargo door step as well but my attempt didn't work out, it was just too fiddly and small, so I will just wait and buy the resin one from whirlybird this week ... can't win them all !!

• Like 1

Was going to use the black decals for the non slip areas on the sponsons but felt that it was just too dark ... decided to use a medium grey and just masked off and hand painted the areas, as this gave a dimpled non slip, kind of rough look. This worked out well with only a little bit of paint creep. Just one more area to do , using this method on the starboard side and then it's time for the decals ..

20141118_151238_zps03qjutzv.jpg

It might just be the flash, but the Gnome exhaust looks a bit too "bronze-y" in that shot; they were much more of a kind of gunmetal colour from what I remember.

Love those sponson walkways, though; the texture looks spot on.

And where's all the blade fold mundungus around the rotor head?

[i know it's in 1.72; this is a joke!]

• Like 1

It might just be the flash, but the Gnome exhaust looks a bit too "bronze-y" in that shot; they were much more of a kind of gunmetal colour from what I remember.

Love those sponson walkways, though; the texture looks spot on.

And where's all the blade fold mundungus around the rotor head?

[i know it's in 1.72; this is a joke!]

Agree that they are bronze for now. .usually wait until the decals are on and sealed before I apply some dry brushing with gun metal 😉

Decals courtesy of "thomasweir" and most went on no problem but I did manage to damage the small "Royal Navy" that is under the port cockpit window, whilst moving it about after I had applied some "microsol" .... aargghhh !! ... it was not salvageable as it read "OYAL NAVY" , so I took what was left off and used some artistic licence and added a small saltire decal ( from a Tornado decal set I had). Lesson learnt there, leave well enough alone :banghead:

This model is shown as XV699 , which did see service North and South of the border, hence the ace of clubs logos ...

20141120_164600_zpstxwyhroo.jpg

and just to prove it .. this is she a few years back ..

IMG_1127_zpsdbp67zb3.jpg

I also had a small bit of decal frustration putting on the engine intake decals as they were very fine and easy to damage .. they are tiny but to the naked eye at this scale they appear perfect. When I zoom in on the image, I'm sure the "DA" in danger is back to front, no idea how I managed that but what's done is done.

20141120_164542_zps9iextkoc.jpg

The decals make all the difference to this kit. Going to let the micro sol do it's thing overnight , then I will seal them in and finish off with some post weathering. The small piece of plastic and bronze wire down at the bottom left, is my attempt at building a cargo step. I am going to persevere with this ... :mental:

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 3

Coming along very nicely. I've got my fuselage halves together and my next session tonight will involve working out where the blade antenna and other pointy bits go. Although I'm not sure if I have the correct window position. Too late now and besides it's mine and it's going to be in a ceiling hung dogfight double with a Yugoslav F86 :mental:

• Like 1

Coming along very nicely. I've got my fuselage halves together and my next session tonight will involve working out where the blade antenna and other pointy bits go. Although I'm not sure if I have the correct window position. Too late now and besides it's mine and it's going to be in a ceiling hung dogfight double with a Yugoslav F86 :mental:

... not too sure what you mean about the correct window position ?? .. for reference, use this link

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234912101-westland-sea-king-royal-navy/

Cheers

Cargo step built from some of the mark 41 parts ( part 47), which appeared to have been a radio aerial and some spare wire I had in my bits n bobs box !!. These two items were used to make the basic tubular framing and I then used some thin plasti card and cut this to shape, in order to make the step itself. The step on the real thing has holes in it and I did try to replicate this in my version but I found that due to the scale, using a drill or a hot needle, just did not work. I resorted to using a set of small pliers and squished the plasti card, both horizontally and vertically, which resulted in a criss cross impression, which when painted gave me the desired effect ... at least at 1:72 scale.

20141120_222345_zps9cv3ckbs.jpg

To mount the step, I did melt a couple of holes in the fuselage, near the underside ( added strength) and simply glued the part in place using superglue.The top section of the plastic card was subjected to some extra thin, which it melted into the airframe, giving a perfect and seamless join. Well happy :thumbsup: and it looks even better when painted.

Another coat of micro sol added to the decals. There were a few air bubbles in the roundels and large ventral ace of clubs ( underneath) but a quick attack with the needle and the sol and all is well. I will now leave this overnight and then seal the decals in tomorrow with some "klear".

Really enjoy the challenge of adapting or scratch building, to enhance an already cracking quality model.

• Like 2

Looks like you're 'at the gate' now. I sometimes make tiny holes and scalpel cuts to get the micro stuff under decals. May get some paint on mine by Sunday. Grey, grey and more grey. Just have to persuade the long haired admiral to photograph it when done

• Like 1

My windows are in order and those phots have sorted my pointy placements

Cheers

Remember that no two aircraft appear to be exactly the same, just go with what you prefer.

I have noted that on mine, the red paintwork has bleached somewhat after using the micro set/sol. Hopefully this will be corrected when I apply the clear coat. In any case, my aircraft will be heavily weathered with "Flory" dark wash.

OH, and the postie arrived with 4 of these kits today, added to my growing stash ... definitely going to convert one into a ASaC7 to replace the "Airfix" version I have :sick: and now also the "Hobbyboss" HC4, which this week, I gave to a mate who has built his very own "Junglie" bar ... but that's another story.

Edited by MarkdipXV711

Remember that no two aircraft appear to be exactly the same, just go with what you prefer.

I have noted that on mine, the red paintwork has bleached somewhat after using the micro set/sol. Hopefully this will be corrected when I apply the clear coat. In any case, my aircraft will be heavily weathered with "Flory" dark wash.

OH, and the postie arrived with 4 of these kits today, added to my growing stash ... definitely going to convert one into a ASaC7 to replace the "Airfix" version I have :sick: and now also the "Hobbyboss" HC4, which this week, I gave to a mate who has built his very own "Junglie" bar ... but that's another story.

Have been following this closely over late and must say it is looking really good, cant wait tho see the finished version.

Just a word of warning on micro-sol, depending on the paint you are using it can sometimes cloud over where the sol was applied to leave a white chalky type appearance. I've found a good (gentle!) wash prior to further coats is sufficient to prevent this happening.

Cheers now

Bob

Have been following this closely over late and must say it is looking really good, cant wait tho see the finished version.

Just a word of warning on micro-sol, depending on the paint you are using it can sometimes cloud over where the sol was applied to leave a white chalky type appearance. I've found a good (gentle!) wash prior to further coats is sufficient to prevent this happening.

Cheers now

Bob

Cheers Bob .. tried a lttle bit of water on a cotton bud and seemed to9 take the worst off. Another learning point for me. If any residue left, this will be covered up with the wash I will be applying.

Appreciate comments..and to others looking in, I used Tamiya acrylics so be warned 😉

I've been wondering what the red dot under the cargo door was supposed to be.... and then realised it's the pressure refuelling point? Was that really red, even on a SAR cab? Must have been, I guess!

• Like 1

I've been wondering what the red dot under the cargo door was supposed to be.... and then realised it's the pressure refuelling point? Was that really red, even on a SAR cab? Must have been, I guess!

Yep, definitely red and I had to check before I found a suitable decal to apply .. it should be recessed but unable to do this on such a small scale kit. The gravity ones on the port side are red as well :winkgrin:.

Just checked out your latest update, superb work by the way ... mind and paint the refuelling points red on your cabs !!

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 1