Revell 1:72 Sea King - Royal Navy HAR5 - HMS Gannet SAR

I see the real thing flying around locally all the time and have always wanted to build a model of it so hoping

watching you build yours inspires me to finally go for it although I don't think it would look as brilliant as your does :thumbsup:

Bikit

• Like 1

Still watching this one. I'm fingering about with mine at the moment (please...that's not a euphanism).

I see the real thing flying around locally all the time and have always wanted to build a model of it so hoping

watching you build yours inspires me to finally go for it although I don't think it would look as brilliant as your does :thumbsup:

Bikit

Thanks folks,

Kind words and much appreciated ... not in the same league as the some of the exceptional craftsmen on this site but each build done incorporates a little bit learned from them, whether hints and tips for a particular kit or modelling advice in general. Great hobby and enjoyable

Looks bl@&dy good to me!! Quite excited about seeing how nice this will look with the red on it. What red are you going to use?

This has got me thinking about getting mine dragged out the cupboard again.

Good stuff,

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Looks bl@&dy good to me!! Quite excited about seeing how nice this will look with the red on it. What red are you going to use?

This has got me thinking about getting mine dragged out the cupboard again.

Good stuff,

Rgds,

Eng

Cheers mate, just planning to use the Tamiya flat acrylic red I have but will try the method of using yellow as an undercoat first. It's meant to make it warmer. Then a coat of clear.

I know this may cause some to suck their teeth but what about some of the Citadel reds? I have a couple and they can be lightened or darkened to suit. Being acrylic they are easy to use. I've used one on the nose of my P47. They spray well when thinned and to get good results I use a lint free cloth to rub them when dry. This may be a bit difficult on a SK though with all the sticky out bits etc. A lot of their colours I find are quite close matches to some of our more popular modelling colours. You have to get past the weird names of them. I think the most normal name I've seen is Antique Bronze. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they had one called 'Leaping Death Scrongle.' Yeah, those are sorts of names I mean.

So far I'm in tandem build with my P47 and making baby steps with my SK. Now there's a dogfight double from our childhood

• Like 1

Found a few hours today so cracked on and began by painting the base area of the saltire white then masked off the cross with some thread as shown ...

DSC_0213_zpsf9261ff7.jpg

... and after the blue was sprayed on, the result was this ...

DSC_0214_zps4eeeca76.jpg

Finally, I masked the flag area with some of the spare canopy masking as best I could. Fiddly little sucker but happy with the result and I've got to remember that it's 1:72 scale..

DSC_0215_zps9e853ec9.jpg

I also finished the darker grey spraying for the upper fuselage and non slip areas of each side. Then the final job of the day ... yellow !!! :shutup:

Light coats just to act as a slight undercoat for the final coats of red. didn't want to loose all of the pre shading so build up the layers gradually, oh and painted one of the main rotors yellow whilst I was at it. Again the camera flash makes the yellow look very loud .. it's not really.

DSC_0218_zpse4cfdc0c.jpg

My apologies to fellow Wafu's out there .. it will be covered up in a few days :winkgrin:

Still enjoying this kit .. must remember to contact Airfix tomorrow or if they can't help, I'll see what whirlybird have in the way of suitable decals. In any case, got to order the cargo step as suggested by Grizzly.

Cheers

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 5

The Revell Sea King is a huge improvement on the rather tired Airfix one. Hannants currently have them on offer - I must get one. Love that internal detail.

Thank you for comments ..I would recommend this kit, might get another myself as a spare or to replace the airfix one I built.

• Like 1

When I get around to mine, I'll be using an old, but never opened Precision tin labelled 'Fleet Air Arm Rescue Helicopter Red' - I also have an accompanying tin of 'Fleet Air Arm Rescue Helicopter Grey', which appears to be a match for the RAF Blue-Grey as worn by the HAS.1, 2 and 5....

... can't get more accurate than that, does exactly as it says on the tin !! 😉😆

Whirlybird contacted..decal sheet in this weekend so order placed. Comes with correct size sponsons ?? and flir etc..

also ordered step as suggested. All in around a tenner. Don't know if I'll use it all yet. No progress on model apart from masking tail rotors ready for red..maybe tomorrow 😉

I'll probably be using human blood on mine..my own. Yes another scalpel accident with a dash of ethanol just to make sure it stings. Charming. Mind you ethanol is great for cleaning acrylic from airbrush and I now have an endless supply. Wonder what it will be like in a Nissan Micra

• Like 1

RED .... RED ... ah, that's better !! ... finally managed to get some on and I'm more than happy with the shade of red, especially as it's all I had in my box ..

DSC_0230_zpsd935bf3b.jpg

Whilst I was at it, I also masked up the white areas of the tail rotors and painted them red as well. Then it was time to unmask, Starboard side first ..

DSC_0232_zps9c754ba3.jpg

Glad I spent the time masking the demarcation lines as this side was as perfect as I could have hoped. The Port side only had one area of paint creep, up near the engine access panel, which I will touch up and cover with post weathering ...

DSC_0233_zps7c26ddc1.jpg

.. and now the front, delighted with my efforts for the saltire ..

DSC_0235_zpscf5703e3.jpg

The marks around the window wipers is not paint creep. I used a black marker on the exposed wiper blades and then covered them in liquid mask before spraying the red. The idea is that when I remove the canopy mask, the blades should be left black.

Dry fitted the sand filter and this covered up the slight area not painted red directly in front of the engine intakes, as I knew it would. I found this area difficult to mask. I then applied a coat of "Pledge" Klear to the main body, tail and main rotors, thus sealing in my efforts.

I also fitted the sponsons despite a replacement set coming with the decal / accessory set from whirlybird. The Revell ones supplied are apparently too small but I spent so much time on them , prior to knowing this, that I just decided to lightly fix them in place. I will see what the resin ones look like.

Starboard side along with the single yellow blade and the external part of the sea tray ..

DSC_0245_zps5bf2db83.jpg

and the Port side ...

DSC_0246_zps4ebe1677.jpg

That's it for now .. just have to wait on the decal/accessory set, which should be next week. In the meantime, I'll probably crack on and try and paint the crew members and assemble the main rotor head.

Thanks for looking in :bye:

• Like 2

Lookin' cookin' :thumbsup2:

That's a hell of a good red you've got there, the yellow base worked out well.

I've heard this 'yellow base for red' suggestion before, now I've seen the proof.

I've also heard "pink base for yellow", so how about a yellow HAR3 next to prove that theory? ;)

Thank you.First time I've tried it.it was a tip on another post on BM. Yellow one ??? ... this was enough 😉😆

Nice work sir,

I like your ingenuity for creating the cross on the saltire, if it had been me I'd probably have spent an hour trying to mask the individual white lines!

Regarding the quality of available models, I agree the Airfix offering is showing its age now, what are your thoughts on the Dragon/Cyber Hobby version?

Al

• Like 1

Nice work sir,

I like your ingenuity for creating the cross on the saltire, if it had been me I'd probably have spent an hour trying to mask the individual white lines!

Regarding the quality of available models, I agree the Airfix offering is showing its age now, what are your thoughts on the Dragon/Cyber Hobby version?

Al

The Cyber Hobby on is an awful caricature of a Sea King, the Revell one really is the best if you want a Westland machine. I would rate the Fujimi over the Cyber Hobby for a Sikorsky, despite the age and sometimes simple detailing of it. For the money CH are asking, they really should be offering a vastly superior product in terms of detail and accuracy and they fall short on both counts.

Mark,

Great work so far, look forward to seeing this one completed!

Regards,

Mark.

• Like 1

Have a look at the mk4 cyber hobby Sea King I built

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965435-back-to-hobby-and-a-trio-of-faa-sea-kings/

This shows you the front shape of the model. Apart from this. The build quality was fine and liked the fact that front door could be left open or closed.

Go with the Revell kit..can be built as various versions with minimum of hassle 😉