Revell 1:72 Sea King - Royal Navy HAR5 - HMS Gannet SAR

Surely if there is a camera present he would be in the doorway flexing his muscles and looking windswept and interesting! - That was part of our training btw :winkgrin:

Airfix it is for me then .. will go onto their website and try and obtain a sheet.... many thanks . Love it that everyone helps out on all these builds. Great website

Cheers Bob .. Yes I noticed the all red canopy frame too ... should make it easier to paint the model .. most obliging of them :thumbsup:

XV666 is 821 now named Damian after the Oman film so can be made from Airfix ,Almark combo.

• Like 1

Just a small update as work getting in the way. Found a few hours to finish off the inside and added a small equipment box for the fwd stowage rack. Just made this from some blue card, origami style and set in place. With the aircraft fuselage glued together you can't see much inside through the cockpit and starboard cabin window

DSC_0152_zpsb94c1333.jpg

I managed to fit the slightly smaller bubble window on the port side and simply plugged the minuscule gap with some PVA glue. As usual I used a permanent marker on the window surrounds to represent the rubber seal fitting of the real thing. The cabin windows were then given a coating of liquid mask, ready for the painting of the outside.

I then masked of the canopy in order to apply the green tint. I used some slightly thinned down "Tamiya" clear green and applied lots of light coverings in order to achieve the required tint. Took the opportunity to dry fit the cockpit glass to the model and as always no gaps and a perfect fit. Revell really do do the best 1:72 Sea King at the moment. ( my opinion)

DSC_0154_zpsc4a48e1e.jpg

Upgraded to a new spray booth, a much larger box that contained my new work boots. :thumbsup:

As stated, due to work, I can't get much done but thanks for previous comments and helpful info and tips. Airfix contacted re trying to get some of the decals required.

Cheers

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 2

Sponsons dry fitted just to help out with positioning of the various aerials / antenna. Used various photos to try and get as accurate as possible. Fitted the orange crop housings but filed down the actual sensors as they are no longer relevant on the HAR aircraft. The protruding antenna on the front of the aircraft has been replaced with a small square type fitting and of course fitted the radome and the cover for the sonar well. This kit also comes with the tail cone deflector strip used in UK Sea Kings, fiddly to fit but worked out fine.

This aircraft will be fitted with the sand type intake filter, which assembled easily enough and test fitted. So far so good.

Also done a little bit of work on the mail wheel struts, as in the kit they are moulded solid but in the real thing they have been cast with several holes. I've tried to represent this by heating up a needle and simply melting some holes in the plastic ... I really need to purchase a modelling drill and bits.

DSC_0201_zps67349a7c.jpg

Should get the rest of the parts fitted over the next few days, then it will be ready for masking, slight sanding and primer. :thumbsup:

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 1

Sponsons dry fitted just to help out with positioning of the various aerials / antenna. Used various photos to try and get as accurate as possible. Fitted the orange crop housings but filed down the actual sensors as they are no longer relevant on the HAR aircraft. The protruding antenna on the front of the aircraft has been replaced with a small square type fitting and of course fitted the radome and the cover for the sonar well. This kit also comes with the tail cone deflector strip used in UK Sea Kings, fiddly to fit but worked out fine.

This aircraft will be fitted with the sand type intake filter, which assembled easily enough and test fitted. So far so good.

Also done a little bit of work on the mail wheel struts, as in the kit they are moulded solid but in the real thing they have been cast with several holes. I've tried to represent this by heating up a needle and simply melting some holes in the plastic ... I really need to purchase a modelling drill and bits.

DSC_0201_zps67349a7c.jpg

Should get the rest of the parts fitted over the next few days, then it will be ready for masking, slight sanding and primer. :thumbsup:

The nose fairing should be oblong with clear sensors & is to the right of the blanked off old sat nav aerial it senses the gap between the rotor blades & the pitch to check they are all in sink with one another. There is also one in the middle of the horse collar on top looks like a flower with petals. Regards Len

The nose fairing should be oblong with clear sensors & is to the right of the blanked off old sat nav aerial it senses the gap between the rotor blades & the pitch to check they are all in sink with one another. There is also one in the middle of the horse collar on top looks like a flower with petals. Regards Len

Cheers Len...obviously this is not in the kit 😆 but made a sctrach build for the nose sensor. Thanks again 👍

Have you got a cow yet? Sadly I don't have a spare one but I do have a Pteranodon (scale unknown) hanging from my office ceiling. Looking forward to this one. I see Ha****ts have them on offer at the moment. Tempted to get one and back date it to an 826 cab HMS Cumberland between 92-94. May have to dig for serial no. for this one

• Like 1

Recommend this kit highly for the 1:72 scale ... still not convinced about the cow though

please buy one of the kits .. it will put you out of your bovine misery

What about a goat? I'm going through a ruminant phase at the moment. Just looked at an inbox review of this kit whilst sailing the interweb last night and it looks and sounds quite good so may have to nab a bargain whilst on offer

Finally managed to get the primer on, after I remembered the tip to paint the canopy black/dark grey first so that the inside of the canopy framing looks painted and not primer light grey. I use Vallejo grey surface primer ( 73.601) which gives a great covering but can wreak havoc with my airbrush. My airbrush is an entry level one and at times gets clogged up with the paint but tried thinning the mix down with thinners ( Tamiya) but then if it is too thin, it gives a crap base layer. In the end, I just spray until it clogs and clean it out quickly before carrying on. Time consuming but the coverage it lays down is great ( again my opinion).

I have an old second hand compressor which cannot vary pressure and to stop moisture ingress, I bought an in-line filter. For me it works and that's the all that matters. May well invest in a new compressor and airbrush in the future ... maybe mention it to Santa !!??

DSC_0205_zpsd57c291a.jpg

The small white plastic shape next to the engine intakes, is simply a piece of plasti-card, cut to shape and will represent the external part of the sea tray fitted to the real thing. With regards the ariel fits, some pictures show the two front chin antenna fitted, some not, some painted white, some red .... mine obviously will be fitted and painted red. The pink tac has been used just to mask the various intakes / exhausts as they have been sprayed and it just decreases the amount of work later on. The canopy has just been held in place by some pink tac.

The crew have just been given a coat of primer and will be sanded, shaped, painted etc... once the cab is done ... or probably whilst I'm waiting on decals to be ordered/delivered. Still no reply from Airfix. The intake filter has been painted black and will be masked before the next stage. The sponsons will be painted red prior to fitting as again this saves on the masking etc.. Other parts like the wheels have been sprayed /masked on the sprus and I still have to make a start on the main rotors/ tail rotors. Must remember that one main blade should be yellow.

Onwards .... and happy 350th birthday to the Royal Marines :worthy:

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 1

Pre shading done and grey applied ... next is the yellow that will (quickly) be covered up by a nice pussers red. Pics to follow.

Ps - no cows, goats or any other animals 😉

Edited by MarkdipXV711

20141030_191643_zpsc8n8l5u_edit_14147252

Camera flash hides most of the pre shading but to the naked eye, it bleeds through just enough. Must remember to scratch build and cargo door step. Probably will just use some plasticard and some stretched spru. Looking forward to masking up and spraying on the yellow ... then most definitely the red :winkgrin:

20141030_191643_zpsc8n8l5u_edit_14147252

Camera flash hides most of the pre shading but to the naked eye, it bleeds through just enough. Must remember to scratch build and cargo door step. Probably will just use some plasticard and some stretched spru. Looking forward to masking up and spraying on the yellow ... then most definitely the red :winkgrin:

Whirlybird do a really nice brass etch step of the Mk5 SAR Sea King type regards Len

Whirlybird do a really nice brass etch step of the Mk5 SAR Sea King type regards Len

Never really tried brass etch but will have a look online for the part. Thanks for the information. Cheers Len

UPDATE ... WBA72065 Cabin Step - Royal Navy Sea King HAR.5 £2.50....http://www.whirlybirdmodels.com/img/Product%20Range%20leaflet%20-%20Nationals%202013%20A5.pdf

Edited by MarkdipXV711

Those two pole aerials under the nose are part of a homer of some sort - God, my brain has dumped it. VHF homer, I think...? - part of homing to maypoles??? We took them off some 819 cabs, because the bloody thing never worked terribly well after having the aerials bent on a Scottish rock. I remember them as always being white.

Looking mighty fine, though.

• Like 1

Those two pole aerials under the nose are part of a homer of some sort - God, my brain has dumped it. VHF homer, I think...? - part of homing to maypoles??? We took them off some 819 cabs, because the bloody thing never worked terribly well after having the aerials bent on a Scottish rock. I remember them as always being white.

Looking mighty fine, though.

Correct , they were for homing ... always (usually) yellow on the Mk6's but various HAR cabs have them either fitted or removed and either white/red. It would seem that the various aircraft at Prestwick are rotated from 771 and have even seen one in action a few years back doing a casevac at a RTC I was dealing with.

Yep.. you guessed it ... this one had yellow homing aerials and 771's ace of clubs emblem as well as the Scottish satire !!?? ... the great thing is, I can paint them any colour and at some point it would have been accurate :winkgrin:

IMG_1127_zpsdbp67zb3.jpg

This next photo was taken at Armed Forces Day 2014 at Stirling

IMG-20140630-WA0002_zpsxtggcl0w.jpg

Now that's a shiny looking cab and red antenna too :banghead: ..... would have been nice to have had a SAR Merlin but I guess it's not to be. Now there's an idea for my next build ??

Masking day today .. normally one of my least favourite tasks but worked out not too bad and I actually quite enjoyed it. As I haven't got decals yet, I decided that whilst masking the exhaust & main gearbox servicing platforms, to also mask of non slip areas on the port/starboard side fuselage. This area allows maintainers access to the engine/gearbox access doors. I cut out the curves required for the upper areas freehand but for the side fuselage curves, I used a hole punch again and punched holes in some self adhesive address labels. The result were perfect circles , which when cut in half, gave me what I needed.

DSC_0211_zps4366b420.jpg

Also used some cheap broad masking tape from 99p shop .. mistake .. keeps peeling back and requires Tamiya tape to secure it down for spraying. Lesson learnt there then.

Next stage .. white base for small saltire on the nose and then mask, mask using thread, spray blue and finally mask off ready for the light coat of yellow.... on nights so enough for today. Cheers

• Like 3