Revell 1:72 Sea King - Royal Navy HAR5 - HMS Gannet SAR

Final version of the 1:72 scale Sea King for me, unless I decide to turn my Airfix Seaking Asac 7 into a hanger queen and replace it with another Revell kit. In my opinion the Revell kit is the best 1:72 scale kit out there at the moment. I purchased this one at Wonderland ( on offer at £11.99) and via ebay I bought the Eduard canopy mask and the cracking little SAR crew produced by PJ productions but bought from Models R Go. The Revell kit contains the extra spru for the Mk 5/6 conversion. I will need to source some decals for the kit though.

DSC_0124_zps2a88c85a.jpg

sar-helicopter-crew.jpg

My aim is to have it looking something like this ... picture by me a couple of months back whilst at the top of Ben Lomond

DSC_0041_zpsa949d595.jpg

Made a start and test fitted all the various small parts before fitting. I was going to cut open the front access door but decided against this at this scale... so early days with all the cockpit parts glued in ready for primer / paint. I've left off the instrument cowling as its easier to paint and apply decals before fitting.

DSC_0126_zps89ed16de.jpg

Wanted to fill up the rear cabin with some details so out with the cutting tools and dispensed with the sonar operators station , leaving only the observers radar and then scratch build some storage shelves and broom cupboard with the left over parts from previous builds and some plastic packaging that I found lying about.

I then began work on a rescue stretcher using some paper clips, brass wire and some plasticard. I also chose to give the impression of soundproofing on the interior roof and on the inside of the cabin walls, again using plasticard. There will be some seats fitted so no point in covering the whole of the rear with the soundproofing.

DSC_0127_zps99d7fce3.jpg

Will try to find some time over the weekend to finish off the stretcher and get some primer down. Will practice some patience this time and allow the primer to dry before applying decals and weathering. Some great tips on the forums regarding the grey and red paint scheme... never thought about applying yellow as a base coat for the red, which then apparently gives at some warmth and pop :winkgrin:

We shall see ... loads still to do in the meantime. Best wishes and happy modelling :thumbsup:

• Like 6

I'm tempted to get one now that I know there is a 5/6 option.

The finished result has to look minging. How about doing an inflight one with a cow in a net dangling below it?

It was hard enough sourcing a SAR crew let alone a cow !!?? 😆😉

Photos should be fine. .try using Chrome as a browser

Edited by MarkdipXV711

Cabin/Cockpit update - managed to get some work done on the rear cabin and cockpit. The usual work was carried out, primer laid down followed by a light spraying of medium grey, spray, a little bit of white added, spray again and so on ... in order to try and create a multi shade, worn look. I then sealed this in with some "Klear" and then applied the decals supplied in the kit. I appreciate that the cockpit and radar decals may not be correct for the RN version however they done the job, went on easily and with the use of micro sol, sank into the raised detail of the various instrument clusters. Not much detailing on the pilot's seats as there will be pilots on them.

DSC_0150_zps6b93ff07.jpg

I then used some "Flory" wash and dirtied up the inside and then dry brushed some aluminium enamel to give the plastic a metallic look.

The observers radar required painting however I had a wee epiphany .... I secured one of my youngest's luminous hama beads ... not difficult as they are usually found inside the hoover and using some brown oven paper and the iron, I ironed it flat and instead of trying to cut out a perfect circle by hand, I used a hole punch and simply stuck the disk on the radar screen using some super glue.

DSC_0139_zpsa3383b6f.jpg

The result gives a fantastic effect ... simply shine a torch onto it or leave it under a strong light and when placed in the dark ... it glows !!! :thumbsup: . I tried to photograph it glowing but this is the best I could do but trust me it works.

Next came the stretcher, this was made from a couple of small paper clips, cut, glued and painted. I used some rolled up orange felt to represent the puffed survival blanket/bag and I think the scale worked out fine.

DSC_0149_zps5afea0fe.jpg

I will probably have the stretcher suspended vertically at one end of the rear cabin, as per the real thing however for now I'm keeping it safe sitting on the scratch built equipment shelves in the front cabin. I also used some rolled up felt to represent some equipment in the forward stowage racks. I am aware that none of this will be seen however a glimpse of something through the cockpit and cabin windows is better than an empty space.

DSC_0151_zps18af4cd4.jpg

Going to let this dry completely before I continue. I may well use a bronze enamel paint to dry brush some more effects on the interior. I will wait until I use the bronze as a base colour on the exhausts though. Enjoying this build so far and having done a similar kit but as the HAS 6, I know which bits to leave off whilst painting the main body.

Next up is preparing the cockpit glazing and sanding off the external protrusions on both sides of the rear fuselage. I will have to be careful though as I don't want to sand of to much detail and end up having to re-scribe.

As always it may be a few days before I get back to it. Many thanks for looking in and appreciate all comments . Cheers

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 4

Great work so far will be watching your progress closely as these local based heli's are a favourite of mine. I started the same build as yourself about 8 years ago and I have to shamefully admit that as much as I love these machines my model still sits on the "shelf of doom".

She will most definitely be resurrected at some point though!

Keep up the good work.

Rgds

Eng

Wow this is very nice, great work so far and love the use of the Hama bead, that is a great idea.

All the best

Chris

I'm sure someone has done it before but a first for me. Noted that the port observer's window in the kit is flat and not the required bubble type. There are two bubble winows in the kit but they look to small for this aperture. Anyone any thoughts .. I was thinking of using a mould, say a ball bearing heated up and carefully laying a flat window over it to remould into required shape.

Could this work ?? ... I have plenty spare to give it a go :)

Also dipping the canopy. .is it worth it ?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Great work so far will be watching your progress closely as these local based heli's are a favourite of mine. I started the same build as yourself about 8 years ago and I have to shamefully admit that as much as I love these machines my model still sits on the "shelf of doom".

She will most definitely be resurrected at some point though!

Keep up the good work.

Rgds

Eng

8 years ???..now that's extreme patience or maybe amnesia 😆😉

If you have some SAR decals going spare, please let me know. I have a load of various UK decals looking for a useful home.

I may have a spare cow for an underslung load albeit a Jersey. On the subject of a bronze enamel there is a very good Citadel 'Antique Bronze' acrylic. I use it quite often on exhausts with some other colours/washes/pastels to tone it down a little

• Like 1

I may have a spare cow for an underslung load albeit a Jersey. On the subject of a bronze enamel there is a very good Citadel 'Antique Bronze' acrylic. I use it quite often on exhausts with some other colours/washes/pastels to tone it down a little

OK ... for your persistence, I MAY consider a cow lol. I may have to scratch build a SACRU first though hehe !! :winkgrin:

I must admit, the bronze I have is an old enamel, as are most of the ones I have, some of which are over 30 years old now but still ok to use. The only problem I have with enamel paints is the length of time they take to dry .. patience is not a virtue of mine . It's not a colour I use that often and to be honest, for the amount I use each time, I just put up with the drying time. Plus, some of the colours I have a great. I sometimes use a brush to apply acrylics and I find that you have to be so quick to apply as they dry too fast for certain tasks and you have to keep the pot lid on all the time to prevent a surface forming. Never a happy medium :mental: or maybe it's just me .

8 years ???..now that's extreme patience or maybe amnesia

If you have some SAR decals going spare, please let me know. I have a load of various UK decals looking for a useful home.

For whatever reason I just hit a point with it where it got tucked away and I haven't gone back to it yet. It never made it to the loft which is good news!

With regards decals one option would be to acquire the current Airfix release of the Seaking this has SAR decals as an option if I remember correctly. The sheet I have stashed away for my build was a Model Alliance sheet I think and had a Seaking of 771 Sqn amongst them, I intend to utilise as much of these as I can for my Prestwick bird and hand paint the St Andrews cross on the nose.

I don't know if the MA sheet is still available but this is what you want to try and get hold of -

http://www.1001modelkits.co.uk/aircraft-models/25009-westland-sea-king-royal-navy-rn-raf-8-aew-mk-2-xv707-81-849-nas-d-day-anniversary-har-mk-3-xz295-202-squadron-sar-yellow-xz6.html?gclid=CI7es7b7u8ECFWj4wgodDlgAow

Hope this helps.

Eng

• Like 1

Cabin/Cockpit update - managed to get some work done on the rear cabin and cockpit. The usual work was carried out, primer laid down followed by a light spraying of medium grey, spray, a little bit of white added, spray again and so on ... in order to try and create a multi shade, worn look. I then sealed this in with some "Klear" and then applied the decals supplied in the kit. I appreciate that the cockpit and radar decals may not be correct for the RN version however they done the job, went on easily and with the use of micro sol, sank into the raised detail of the various instrument clusters. Not much detailing on the pilot's seats as there will be pilots on them.

DSC_0150_zps6b93ff07.jpg

I then used some "Flory" wash and dirtied up the inside and then dry brushed some aluminium enamel to give the plastic a metallic look.

The observers radar required painting however I had a wee epiphany .... I secured one of my youngest's luminous hama beads ... not difficult as they are usually found inside the hoover and using some brown oven paper and the iron, I ironed it flat and instead of trying to cut out a perfect circle by hand, I used a hole punch and simply stuck the disk on the radar screen using some super glue.

DSC_0139_zpsa3383b6f.jpg

The result gives a fantastic effect ... simply shine a torch onto it or leave it under a strong light and when placed in the dark ... it glows !!! :thumbsup: . I tried to photograph it glowing but this is the best I could do but trust me it works.

Next came the stretcher, this was made from a couple of small paper clips, cut, glued and painted. I used some rolled up orange felt to represent the puffed survival blanket/bag and I think the scale worked out fine.

DSC_0149_zps5afea0fe.jpg

I will probably have the stretcher suspended vertically at one end of the rear cabin, as per the real thing however for now I'm keeping it safe sitting on the scratch built equipment shelves in the front cabin. I also used some rolled up felt to represent some equipment in the forward stowage racks. I am aware that none of this will be seen however a glimpse of something through the cockpit and cabin windows is better than an empty space.

DSC_0151_zps18af4cd4.jpg

Going to let this dry completely before I continue. I may well use a bronze enamel paint to dry brush some more effects on the interior. I will wait until I use the bronze as a base colour on the exhausts though. Enjoying this build so far and having done a similar kit but as the HAS 6, I know which bits to leave off whilst painting the main body.

Next up is preparing the cockpit glazing and sanding off the external protrusions on both sides of the rear fuselage. I will have to be careful though as I don't want to sand of to much detail and end up having to re-scribe.

As always it may be a few days before I get back to it. Many thanks for looking in and appreciate all comments . Cheers

Love your stretcher; that looks excellent.

I can't see any howlers in the cockpit instruments, either, so I wouldn't worry about that. There are probably a couple which aren't 100% accurate when you look at them through a magnifying glass, but the overall impression looks dead right - and this is 1/72, after all.

How are you going to model the loafing LACMN in the back...? ;-)

• Like 1

Love your stretcher; that looks excellent.

I can't see any howlers in the cockpit instruments, either, so I wouldn't worry about that. There are probably a couple which aren't 100% accurate when you look at them through a magnifying glass, but the overall impression looks dead right - and this is 1/72, after all.

Re the aircrewman... what do you think the stretcher and comfy rescue blanket is for ?? 😉😴😴

I agree with regards the instruments.. at this scale it's not a problem. Got hold of some great looking crew which might need a bit of fettling to look FAA. Pleased so far though. Thanks for kind words.

For whatever reason I just hit a point with it where it got tucked away and I haven't gone back to it yet. It never made it to the loft which is good news!

With regards decals one option would be to acquire the current Airfix release of the Seaking this has SAR decals as an option if I remember correctly. The sheet I have stashed away for my build was a Model Alliance sheet I think and had a Seaking of 771 Sqn amongst them, I intend to utilise as much of these as I can for my Prestwick bird and hand paint the St Andrews cross on the nose.

I don't know if the MA sheet is still available but this is what you want to try and get hold of -

http://www.1001modelkits.co.uk/aircraft-models/25009-westland-sea-king-royal-navy-rn-raf-8-aew-mk-2-xv707-81-849-nas-d-day-anniversary-har-mk-3-xz295-202-squadron-sar-yellow-xz6.html?gclid=CI7es7b7u8ECFWj4wgodDlgAow

Hope this helps.

Eng

Thank you re decals .. they look good. I've painted the St Andrews cross on my mk6 cab. I simply painted a white rectangle, masked the cross using thread and sprayed blue. I then removed the thread and masked over the area before applying the overall grey. Worked out well enough

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah57/bl10711/20140525_185441_RichtoneHDR_zps5476ccb4.jpg

Go on dig out the King and put her out of her misery 😉😆

Surely if there is a camera present he would be in the doorway flexing his muscles and looking windswept and interesting!

Liking this build, I have one kicking around with some cutting edge decals but not sure to use that scheme or not. I have several ideas for versions and only one kit!

With regards to the serials and codes the aircraft are quite regularly rotated around CU and PW and the stations have their own way of coding them. Unfortunately I moved away from Culdrose a couple of years ago otherwise I could have confirmed them for you. For information one major difference between now and a couple of years ago colour scheme wise is the canopy framing. It used to be grey but is now all red. Hope that helps.

Cheers now

Bob

Surely if there is a camera present he would be in the doorway flexing his muscles and looking windswept and interesting!

Liking this build, I have one kicking around with some cutting edge decals but not sure to use that scheme or not. I have several ideas for versions and only one kit!

With regards to the serials and codes the aircraft are quite regularly rotated around CU and PW and the stations have their own way of coding them. Unfortunately I moved away from Culdrose a couple of years ago otherwise I could have confirmed them for you. For information one major difference between now and a couple of years ago colour scheme wise is the canopy framing. It used to be grey but is now all red. Hope that helps.

Cheers now

Bob

Surely if there is a camera present he would be in the doorway flexing his muscles and looking windswept and interesting! - That was part of our training btw :winkgrin:

A word of caution regarding decals - although there have been a few sheets featuring 771NAS aircraft, only the Airfix HAR.5 kit sheet provides a serial/code tie-up that allows for a current machine with EAPS filter to be depicted. The others all have the old 'Barn Door' intake guard - something either overlooked or ignored by more than one modeller whose otherwise cracking builds have been spoilt by being finished incorrectly....

The decals are as follow:

Airfix kit sheet - XV699/23.

Almark - XV705/21;

Cutting Edge - XV647/20;

Model Alliance - XV705/21;

Model Art: XV647/20 and XZ920/22.

Serial/Code tie-ups for those aircraft are:

XV647 - with 'Barn Door': 20; with EAPS: 07 and 28.

XV699 - with EAPS: 23.

XV705 - with 'Barn Door': 21; with EAPS: 29.

XZ920 - with 'Barn Door': 22; with EAPS: 07, 24 and 26.

As both serials and codes are white outlined in black, changing them isn't easy - the exception being making XV699 into XV666, but that aircraft was also coded 23! It is, however, also the only one that I have found photos of carrying the sames codes with both the Barn Door guard and EAPS filter.

XV699 has worn various combinations of markings:

As supplied;

as supplied, but with a Scottish saltire replacing the nose Ace of Clubs;

as above but with CU tailcode removed and nose code repositioned due to aerial change;

as above but with PW tailcode.

Airfix it is for me then .. will go onto their website and try and obtain a sheet.... many thanks . Love it that everyone helps out on all these builds. Great website

Cheers now

Bob

Cheers Bob .. Yes I noticed the all red canopy frame too ... should make it easier to paint the model .. most obliging of them :thumbsup:

• Like 1

AndyF117 that's a wonderful bit of info you've shared with the masses, thank you very much indeed.

I must admit I will eventually make best efforts to have an accurate "whirly" and this will certainly help.

Kind Regards,

Eng

• Like 1