New tooled 1/72 C-54 by Revell in April 2015

Huub vD

Do l hear a canadair northstar conversion coming on?

For those who don't know it a DC4 with merlin 85 engines..... strictly RCAF aircraft

Slight topic drift but I heard Canadair's version described as a 'near' DC-4 fuselage, with 'near' DC-6 wings (with Merlins). If true do you need a Heller donor kit for wings? Or is that bunkum?

Anyway, I agree that the possibilities are endless and that it will sell by the shed load. Long overdue.

Trevor

Slight topic drift but I heard Canadair's version described as a 'near' DC-4 fuselage, with 'near' DC-6 wings (with Merlins). If true do you need a Heller donor kit for wings? Or is that bunkum?

Anyway, I agree that the possibilities are endless and that it will sell by the shed load. Long overdue.

Trevor

I think its the Canadair C-5, a one of, that fits that description. Except the C-5 had radials as per DC-6. It was a VIP machine.
  • Like 1

I didn't think there were any in SEAC markings, were they?

Yes, there is a pic in Air Arsenal North America, still bare metal but with the two blue roundels (KL978). There is also a pic in Aeromilitaria 2/2003.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

That's nice, what is the spare fuselage about?

Phil

Almost certainly the fuselage interior. Those fuselage sections are almost semi-circular with tabs at the bottom for locating the cargo-bay floor, plus the exterior finish of these two sections are a world away from the smooth, finely scribed full fuselage halves in the same photo. It's just like the brilliant Breguet Atlantique and C-160 Transall kits...

The display model is so well done, it's a really attractive plane and kit I know almost nothing about. Tempting...

Almost certainly the fuselage interior. Those fuselage sections are almost semi-circular with tabs at the bottom for locating the cargo-bay floor, plus the exterior finish of these two sections are a world away from the smooth, finely scribed full fuselage halves in the same photo. It's just like the brilliant Breguet Atlantique and C-160 Transall kits...

The display model is so well done, it's a really attractive plane and kit I know almost nothing about. Tempting...

Have to disagree... If you take a closer look the emergency exits are molded on the outside and they don't have the typical shape of the C-54 ones

The built-up model looks very good. From the sprues, it looks like the engines are going to be quite detailed. Also, it appears the nose cone is not moulded with the rest of the fuselage, which is good as there were at least three different types of noses fitted to DC-4s/C-54s, depending on model and modification state.

• Like 1

Have to disagree... If you take a closer look the emergency exits are molded on the outside and they don't have the typical shape of the C-54 ones

No worries, it's definitely the fuselage interior though...!!! I can't see the logic in tooling the upper fuselage section to be cut away and around the 'fin fillet' to make another variant of sorts...(this 'fillet' is missing from the tapering end sections I identify as the fuselage interior). See how translucent certain areas of the external fuselage are to accommodate the interior bulkheads, etc. I can't see any sign of a horizontal cut line along the fuselage to accommodate what is perceived to be an optional exterior fuselage section...Again, the exterior of these interior sections is finished in a different manner, there are no 'panel lines' and quite a few ejector pin marks between the window openings...

Take an even closer look at the emergency exit, you'll see that there is a much finer 'cut line' that runs on from the emergency exit you identify, creating a profile that matches the large cargo door area. The small, solitary oval window after this matches the oval window on the fuselage exterior, just after the opening for the cargo door... In fact, the emergency exit you highlight appears to be an optional cut line for a rearward 'passenger door' to me, for another (civil/VIP) variant to be released later on... Excellent!!!

The orientation of the sprue photographs don't help a great deal as you have to rotate the images to 'align' the mind, it's like a jigsaw puzzle!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...