New tooled 1/72 C-54 by Revell in April 2015

Huub vD

As an FYI - since this is only something I've heard via a source at my LHS I figure the "Rumourmonger" thread is probably the best place to put it - apparently Belcher Bits is working on a FULL Canadair Northstar conversion for the Revell C-54/DC-4 kit - this will include resin bits and decal sheet (and instructions of course...) :)

No timeline has been noted but with this Revell kit out there (and in the current production run) one would make the assumption that it could be sometime soon!! (hopefully 2016).

Cheers,
Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not one for rivet counting etc. But the BALAIR titles on the model fuselage were only used on the cargo version, they were a lot smaller like the photo (real aircraft pictured) for the airliner.

I very much doubt I'd build it in this scheme, far to many water bombers to do first... but worth a mention, anyone know if thats the final decal?

• 5 months later...

Canadair North Star and Argonaut conversion set in view by Aircraft in Miniature.

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005001-canadair-argonaut-conversion/#entry2405929

Neil sent me the following picture showing the parts included in the conversion. The engines are in resin with white metal props and exhaust stacks.

Argonaut.jpg

The kit includes different exhaust stacks for the original Canadair North Star, RCAF & BOAC variants

XVTonker

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

The masters for the Canadair North Star or Argonaut have arrived and the set is now going into production.

Source: http://www.aim72.co.uk/page179.html

Canadair North Star or Argonaut Engine Conversion Set

At the end of the second World War the only transport aircraft available were American and Canadair produced a modified version of the DC-4 which was pressurised and fitted with four Rolls Royce Merlin engines. BOAC operated this type of aircraft as the Argonaut. As initially delivered, each engine was fitted with exhaust stacks on both sides of each engine, but this made the cabin very noisy. So ‘cross-over’ exhausts were fitted with the exhaust being on the outboard side of each nacelle and blanking plates on the inboard side of each nacelle, and this conversion covers engines for both variants.

This conversions allows these variants of the aircraft to be modelled:

- All variants as delivered with exhausts on both sides of each nacelle.

- The Argonaut with BOAC cross-over exhausts on the outboard side and blanks on the inboard side of each nacelle.

This conversion does NOT cover the TCA cross-over exhaust version because the upper cowlings on these aircraft were slightly bulged.

The conversion set consists of:

- 4 x cast resin Merlin engines

- 4 x cast metal propellers

- 4 x cast metal cooling air scoops

- 4 x cast metal intake blanks

- 4 x cast metal ram air intakes

- 4 x cast metal BOAC inboard exhaust blanks

- 4 x cast metal BOAC cross-over exhaust stacks

- 8 x cast metal exhaust stacks

- detailed instructions.

wp435cf396_05_06.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

What are the chances of an ATL-98 conversion for this kit at some point? I'm wondering if I should pick up the Revell C-54 just in case....

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.aim72.co.uk/page179.html

- ref. TWC72019 - Canadair C-4 North Star & Argonaut engines (original ejector exhausts) conversion pack, for all variants as initially delivered with exhaust stacks on both sides of each nacelle.

TWC72019-800.jpg

-ref. TWC72020 - TCA Canadair Four engines (cross-over exhausts) conversion pack, with exhausts on the outboard side and blanking plates on the inboard side of each nacelle and the raised upper cowling profile.

TWC72020-800.jpg

ref. TWC72021 - BOAC Canadair Argonaut engines (cross-over exhausts) conversion pack. with exhausts on the outboard side and blanking plates on the inboard side of each nacelle.

TWC72021-800.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Canadair North Star conversion set by Belcher Bits - ref. BL19

Source: http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/172conv/bl19.htm

Canadair North Star 1/72

This set provides the conversion parts to modify the Revell C-54 into a Canadair North Star as used by the RCAF in the 50s. This kit includes resin and white metal engine cowlings (supplied under license from Transport Wings) as well as a comprehensive decal sheet enabling one to depict any RCAF North Star. As a bonus, additional resin and vacuform parts are included and decals provided to depict the sole Rockcliffe Ice Wagon, a research aircraft used to investigate wing icing.

bl19_web.jpg

bl19decal_web.jpg

V.P.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent Mr Belcher an email regarding the Northstar conversion - the link on his site to the instructions points toward the "Minuteman III" kit of his so I'm curious if these have even started shipping as of yet.  According to the auto reply I received it appears that all orders from him are currently delayed and will begin again on October 25. 

Once I hear back and get more information I'll post here. 

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 19:57, DaveCS said:

I sent Mr Belcher an email regarding the Northstar conversion - the link on his site to the instructions points toward the "Minuteman III" kit of his so I'm curious if these have even started shipping as of yet.  

It's OK now:

http://www.belcherbits.com/images/172conv/bl19inst.pdf

BB_1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB_3.jpg

V.P.

Yep.. I just checked the site today before coming here - and this would suggest to me that he's shipping these conversion kits now. 

Cheers,
Dave

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...