New tooled 1/72 C-54 by Revell in April 2015

Huub vD

Now if we could convince Revell to do a nice new tool Curtiss C-46 Commando

I can fix that! I'll get cracking on BOTH my William Bros C-46 kits... :banghead:

The gods of plastic should find my double (detailed) offering irresistible... :coolio:

• Like 2

There was an article in fine scale where a modeller took the Heller DC 6 and cut it up,back dated to a DC 4 then converted it to a Northstar. He l think if memory serves me correctly the just needed to adjust the necelles a bit and used Shackleton or Lincoln engines. Not sure if l even have that article any more.

Edited by hacker

If it was about half the projected price, I'd probably buy one. As it is, way too expensive!

Agree with you on this but, very few kits actually go for the r r p. I personally would not pay £49.99 for it but, as another poster pointed out, just wait a few months. The price will come down. Now Revell, how about a DC-7?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

This photo hints to that the nose is too pointy in plan view:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Douglas_C-54_Skymaster_USAF.JPG

(Or does the kit depict a later version where the nose would be accurate ?)

Also the way the builder painted the frames of the small windshield windows distorts the look, I don't know why modellers don't pay more attention to images of the real thing.

Third thing that looks off are the wide spread engine open cowl flaps.

I am certain it can be made into an accurate replica tho ...

I don't know why modellers don't pay more attention to images of the real thing.

What a concept! But, you know, if more modelers paid attention to the 1:1 subjects, there would be no need for forums like this one!

Edited by Space Ranger

This photo hints to that the nose is too pointy in plan view:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Douglas_C-54_Skymaster_USAF.JPG

(Or does the kit depict a later version where the nose would be accurate ?)

That looks like a none radar nose

The model seems to have the built radar nose and the side view the added later unit.

My dad recently completed the much-maligned Mach2 DC-4. As inaccurate as it may be, we both felt it turned out quite well and certainly looks like the plane it's meant to portray.

I'm quite keen to get this one. It has a lot more detail and is undoubtedly the better kit, although it's probably still flawed in numerous places.

• 2 weeks later...

• In the latest issue of SAM, S&M models have just announced they will make resin Merlin engines for this kit, so you can have a North Star or Argonaut. Also, they are looking to do a resin Carvair fuselage/tail....can't wait! :hobbyhorse:

• Like 1

I haste to be a Jonah but, if my memory serves me correct, Ian Huntley wrote a very good series of articles about the DC-4+ family where he stated that the Argonaut actually had a slightly longer fuselage than the standard DC-4

Ken

I don't know that much about it, but WIKI says there are lots of differences.....

The new Canadair DC-4M powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines emerged in 1946 as the "North Star." More than just an engine swap, the North Star had the Douglas DC-6 nose, landing gear and fuselage shortened by 80 in (2 metres), DC-4 empennage, rear fuselage, flaps and wing tips, C-54 middle fuselage sections, wing centre and outer wing panel

So the fuselage is actually shorter....

I'm not sure about the punctuation ........ "landing gear and fuselage shortened by 80in" ???

Surely it should read "DC-6 nose and landing gear - and fuselage shortened by 80in" ??

Or ...... "DC-6 nose landing gear" ??

Ken