777 engine questions

feoffee2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not. The Trent used on the 777 is a very different animal to that used on the A340... it's larger and the exhaust system quite different

How undersize are the GE ones

Thanks

My BraZ kits are in the basement, lazy to go pick them but these are the Trent 556 dimensions in 1/144, not sure the BraZ parts correspond, and in brackets are the CF6-80E1 dimensions measured on the A330 kit :

- fan diameter 17.2mm (17.4mm)

- max nacelle diameter 21.8mm (20.5mm)

- nacelle length 34.7mm (29.6mm)

- overall engine length 52.5mm (52.4mm)

The dimensions are close, but the proportions are different, the CF6-80E1 has a much more streamlined reverser/exhaust nozzle/plug shape, the Trent 556 is stubbier in that area... anyway it's still a Rolls, the best engine in the world ;-)

• Like 1

Right, cause all you need to do to convert a 343 to a 346 is stick bigger engines on it and extend the fuselage...

The only thing they have in common is the nose and the fuse diameter... and the Revell kit's nose is incorrect.

I would worry more about finding detailed quality blueprints. If you have the skill to build the correct WBF and wings, than you can probably make the engines out of anything.

Until then, why worry about the fan diameter, it won't look anything like a 346 anyway...

Just my two cents.

Orite thanks I have found a template on how to do it and I am not to bothered about accuracy as long as the tail and wings and engines as well as the fuse length are correct.

I shall think over my options for the engines.

Thanks guys

Right, cause all you need to do to convert a 343 to a 346 is stick bigger engines on it and extend the fuselage...

Don't forget the bigger wing, its chord was increased by 3 frames (1.59m) & the overall span grew from 60.30m to 63.45m. Same with the horizontal stabilizer, bigger in all direction, with a span growing from 19.40m to 22.59m. And last, the body gear doubling to a 4 wheel bogie.

Oops, also forgot about the fatter wing/fuselage fairing.

Edited by PMG Offramp

Don't forget the bigger wing, its chord was increased by 3 frames (1.59m) & the overall span grew from 60.30m to 63.45m. Same with the horizontal stabilizer, bigger in all direction, with a span growing from 19.40m to 22.59m. And last, the body gear doubling to a 4 wheel bogie.

Yes, I know. I was being ironic. It seems to me that people tend to forget how different these airframes are. If building one was easy, I'd already have at least one.