Its usually the case with a multi subject diorama that it does'nt take long to see which are the creators strong points & which are the weak links, amazing plane, equipment & ground work but poor figures for instance, but this is consistently top line. The models on their own are excellent but put them into that magnificent roiling South Atlantic sea & the sum definately exceeds the parts, bloody well done mate.

• Like 3

Absolutely staggering work. Every aspect of this build is fantastic combined with brilliant photography.

Seriously takes me back to 1982 when my mum took me out of school especially to wave the fleet off from Portsmouth (my school didn't seem to recognise the significance of the occasion as they wrote a snotty letter to my mum when they found out). It was a very moving occasion and I remember Hermes, Invincible and Fearless (I think) passing us. At that point the Sea Harriers had yet to have their markings toned down. Crew lining the decks in square rig. I distinctly remember a man standing behind me saying "I wonder how many of them will come home'.

• Like 4

It was a very moving occasion and I remember ... Fearless (I think) passing us. Crew lining the decks in square rig. I distinctly remember a man standing behind me saying "I wonder how many of them will come home'.

In that case you were waving at the 21-year-old me, lining the deck as a S/Lt in Fearless. Bloody cold, it was, and raining.

On our way home Admiral Fieldhouse came to see us at Ascension. He addressed the ship's company on the flight deck and said "I last stood on this ship about a mile away from here, just as you were about to sail South to lead the assault. What I didn't say to you then is that we firmly expected to lose one of Fearless, Intrepid, Invincible and Hermes. Thank God we did not".

Gulp.

• Like 2

In that case you were waving at the 21-year-old me, lining the deck as a S/Lt in Fearless. Bloody cold, it was, and raining.

On our way home Admiral Fieldhouse came to see us at Ascension. He addressed the ship's company on the flight deck and said "I last stood on this ship about a mile away from here, just as you were about to sail South to lead the assault. What I didn't say to you then is that we firmly expected to lose one of Fearless, Intrepid, Invincible and Hermes. Thank God we did not".

Gulp.

Thank God indeed and hats off to you sir.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the complements everyone, I'm sure I've said it before, but it's much appreciated. Must admit to a bit of burn out right now, need to find something nice and straight forward for a week or two - although I have just ordered some plans for a WW2 Illustrious class carrier so things might change in a hurry.

Edited by andrewa
  • Like 3

Same as everyone else, Andrew,I could repeat every compliment everyone has said and heartily mean every word! I have been following your build since I joined BM and thoroughly enjoyed every post!

It is definitely inspirational, if placed in the window of the RN recruitment office it would have a generation of youngsters wanting to be sailors and modelers.

I can understand all the comments pleading for the public display it deserves but, personally,I think that if this was my model I would have a hard job letting this out of my line of sight for a long long time. After all,I build models to look at and like being able to do so whenever I want.

Please get in touch with the model mags though, shame there isn't a maritime version of AIR and AFV,this would be right up their street!

Telepathic pat on the back is on its way to you!

• Like 2

First time lurking in the Maritime forum as I'm normally only an aircraft man, but boy am I glad I did. This is the most amazing diorama I have ever seen, off to look at the build thread now! Everything is incredible about it and I can't believe how real the sea looks. That is some dedication!

• Like 2

I only found this thread this morning Andrew, but I'm so glad I did - I've been back at least 5 times just to look at the pics over & over again! I've also read all the follow up posts and I really think all the superlatives have been used up, so can I just agree with them all?!

As others have also said, I really think this is probably the best diorama I've ever seen, truly outstanding and inspiring modelling all round.

I'm off to spend the afternoon reading the wip thread now!

Thanks for sharing such magnificent work!

Keith

• Like 2

Hello Andrewa,

I did follow your construction topic

I agree, this is one of the most impressive diorama's I have ever seen.

The detail is enormous.

Admiral Sandy Woodward would have been proud of you.

It should be accepted at the RN museum for display.

Highest Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just been back for another look & realized I hadn't really taken much notice of the black & white photos 1st time around which is a pity as they make it look even more realistic. Uncannily life like, magnificent!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...