Defiant - reshaped Airfix 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Another rather old model from shelf - Boulton-Paul Defiant, made out of Airfix kit but I was trying to reshape it following drawings in 1/72. The whole fuselage is made wider, turret is completly new (home-made), new u/c and both coolers. Now I think that two detail should be improved - a propeller (blades are to narrow) and main canopy (which is remain untouched and with wider fuselage it is a bit narrow as well). A compromise, what was achivable, those days - some teens years ago.

Have a look

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

defiant DSC02327

defiant DSC02329defiant DSC02326

defiant DSC02325defiant DSC02324defiant DSC02323defiant DSC02322defiant DSC02321

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 15

Hi Jerzy:

Great Build!!!

I really liked the way you finished this one, and the work you have done to improve this little old friend, very fine finished, hope when I try mine from the two in my stash at least one will look at least half as nice than yours.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Just in time for Airfix to issue their remastered and updated kit.....

Well although that pipe dream would be nice, it doesn't detract from your own very nice remastering. I have built this myself, twice before, both times in the 1960s so you have done very well with it.

Nige B

• Like 1

Thank you Nige, Mario and Darby for kind comments. I agree - after Typhoon, Blenheim, Lancaster... - time for new Defiant from Airfix!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Instantly recognisable as a Defiant (one of my favourite fighting aircraft), and your ambitious and skilful rebuild has worked wonders with that horrible old kit.

Alas, to make it fully accurate would need more than wonders, but perhaps replacing those massive undercarriage gear doors would make for worthwhile visible enhancement.

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

That's a nice build! I remember trying something similar as a kid in the early nineties. I had a book on building Battle of Britain aircraft and all the work needed to make the airfix Defiant a bit more accurate was outlined including attaching a new nose from a Spitfire model. I was very proud of my achievement once it was finished. Thanks for the memories! :-)

Yours turned out very nice.

/Anders

• Like 1

perhaps replacing those massive undercarriage gear doors would make for worthwhile visible enhancement.

Certainly, that is true, I am sorry, I have to agree.

I tried in the morning to see how well I glued them, but they are pretty well glued, so it will be not so easy to make them thinner....

Many thanks for positive support I 've got from all for this model :)

regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just in time for Airfix to issue their remastered and updated kit.....

Well although that pipe dream would be nice, it doesn't detract from your own very nice remastering. I have built this myself, twice before, both times in the 1960s so you have done very well with it.

Nige B

Pipe dream comes true.....

• Like 2