Trumpeter 1/32 F3.

So after all the sanding and other sanding, this is what im left with.

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

wing root fit is ok, just a little filling required

DSC02890.jpg

That wing position is a lot better! I know its a lot of work but the improvement in the flesh and the overall geometry of the aircraft is worth it. The canopy is, however. wrong with the cockpit sills being too low.

DSC02892.jpg

here are the partially finished wheel wells

DSC02886.jpg

Tail is on, and now an overall mock up to try for size.

DSC02889.jpg

Thats a 1/32 MGB which will make an appearance if I get time. Now on to the heavy duty construction.

• Like 8

Very good cut and shut mate! Now just the small matter of the cockpit sills, canopy, fwd wheelwell, wing curves and tail section.... Once you start down that accuracy rabbit hole, you have no idea how deep it goes! :lol:

Not gonna happen, the cut and shut is enough for me on this one until Iain (32 sig) produces his correction kit. (you listening Iain? ) It will just be a little photo etch and a few embelishments. It looks roughly like a lightning so thats where it ll end. Im a coward!

• Like 1

The plug in the fuselage is excellent. I will always cut up a kit to some degree to fit aftermarket in, but what you did requires real confidence. Excellent job mate.

Cheers,

Tom.

Further update.

I decided to take the plunge and tackle the undercarriage cut up.

This kit supplies both plastic and metal versions of the main undercarriage so using the plastic legs a a guide I made a cut between two of the thicker sections of the legs, which, on measuring added up to 2mm. Good eh?

I know the leg wont exactly be accurate but the thicker section of the leg at this point will provide a stronger bond to take the weight of the beastie.

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

I was going to pin the centre of each half of the leg but following the "plastic" experiment I went with thick superglue to tack the parts together (following re alignment) then packed the joint with araldite.

Nice and strong, once it has set thoroughly ill get to re shaping the slightly proud araldite before paint.

and now a mockup

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

Thats better!

Now working towards paint.

• Like 6

Hi Matt, There are no white metal parts on this beastie, each of the ladder sides and the bracing are all laminated from the photo etch sheet provided in the Flightpath set.

The missile trolleys have lots of white metal but i'm yet to make sense of the instructions for these, not having read that far yet (too scared).

This is what you get in the flightpath sheet

DSC02917.jpg

one other little addition I have obtained is the Heritage refuelling probe. The probe is missing in the F3 kit but appears, (together with overwing tanks) in the F6 kit.

DSC02919.jpg

The photo is the aircraft I'm doing and the scene i'm trying to replicate except the missiles will be on a trolly each

Edited by Phartycr0c
  • Like 2

Brave move but fortune favours the bold. This plan will give you a far better big Lightning than Trumpeter intended.

It will, in fact, be a far bigger better Lighting than Trumpeter intended (if only by 5mm. ;) )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, The update is that im going to be hard pushed to get this finished by 4th Jan!

Anyhoo, Having completed the bodywork thus far I have given her a coat of black, one to provide an undercoat and two to attempt to pick out any imperfections.

DSC02920.jpg

The main one is around the cut and shut dunno if ill have time to completely blend this in without weakening the actual kit plastic and risking it falling apart.

A bit of work has been going on in the meantime,

Ladder is primed, the undercarriage has been painted and washed, the nose come was painted firstly in a very light green then later lightly airbrushed with a dark green in an effort to make the nose cone appear weathered.

The nose ring has been chromed, I have built and primed black the refueling probe, formed and soldered the supplementary intake shields, (the little square items) the airbrakes painted and the red tops are in progress. (phew)

DSC02923.jpg

DSC02924.jpg

The lighting doesnt do the nose cone justice. It looks more subtle in the flesh.

DSC02925.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

DSC02922.jpg

Now I know that usually the air brakes on a lightning are retracted when on the ground but, I will be displaying her with the brakes open as there is so much yummy photo etch in the Eduard set that it would be a shame to waste it all. That and the aircraft is undergoing maintenance after all.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so being a couple of weeks late into the GB and with Christmas hangovers and the like, I was probably being a bit optimistic with meeting the deadline.

Unfortunately that is in fact the case although I think it was a valiant effort.

Left to do are the remainder of the decals, the ejector seat, undercarriage doors, airbrake mechanisms, missile trollies and the MGB as and when. Paint to the ladder and final weathering, so, Deadline missed im afraid.

Here is where I am at present.

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

DSC02929.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

Was it worth faffing with the cut and shut, definitely, likewise the undercarriage trim makes the plane sit right, 2mm needed to be trimmed off the main UC door to make it fit.

The eagle eyed of you will see in the photographs, the insert hasnt blended as well as I would have liked and although not prominent is still noticeable under the metallic paintwork. The lack of blending is purely down to the time constraints of the gb, My fault but the kit just looks wrong without it.

The same mod on a camo F6 would be easier to disguise.

I really enjoyed this build thanks to those who watched it.

• Like 4

You've got further on than me with a much harder project. Although it may not be finished within the GB timescale I can't wait to see it once done.