Trumpeter 1/32 F3.

This "bad boy", is one of two I have in my stash, the other being an F6, eventually to be done in 11 Squadron markings.

This build will be an F3 from 29 Squadron in NMF using Model Alliance decals and a little Eduard Interior and exterior sets and a quickboost seat, but pretty much OTB other than this.

I might be tempted with a couple more goodies such as wheelbays and nozzels should dosh allow.

Here are the contents at the starting line.

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

Wish me luck!

• Like 4

Cool! It may not be the most accurate rendering of a Lightning ever committed to plastic but it's an impressively big one. Welcome to the GB.

Ill make every effort to get this done The kit itself only has 140 odd parts. the photo etch sets have probably as many! When i say Natural metal Finish, I wont be filing all of the beastie although some parts may benifit from a little foiling. ill see how we go.

• Like 1

Ok so today I managed to make a start on the Trumpeter kit.

Rather than go the traditional route and start with the cockpit, since posting the box photos, I have gotten hold of a Flightpath Lightning Detail set from the ever helpful David Parkings.

I am attempting to complete a small dio for the Lightning and this set includes a crew ladder, Fod guard , run up guard and missile 2x missile trolleys so In order to re kindle my absent soldering skills I made a start in the ancillaries.

heres where i am at the moment with the fod guard and run up screen.

Run Up screen pt 1

DSC02842.jpg

Part 2

DSC02844.jpg

and finally the fod screen.

DSC02843.jpg

This was 2 1/2 hrs work. Fiddly but enjoyable.

Obviously all unpainted at present the fod guard is completed, the run up screen a 1/3rd of the way through.

The beauty of this set is that it is a kit in its own right with a completely different skillset to the Plastic modelling which means i can switch between diciplines and hopefully not get bored!

• Like 1

Those Flightpath sets are certainly comprehensive and will add a huge amount of interest to your model. As if building the biggest kit in the GB wasn't enough! :lol:

Ok so I'm rubbish at updates, not knowing how much is too much or too little in terms of photographs, so figuring that you folks dont want to see each and every part being soldered I have the following to share.

Cockpit has been painted and the Eduard set added. with a wash applied thus far.

The Eduard representation of the throttle grips is beyond fiddly so much so I sacked them off replacing them with a couple of moulding off cuts sanded and shortened.

DSC02847.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

DSC02849.jpg

Trumpeters rendition of the joystick is far to high so I shortened it to somewhere around the correct length. The original almost hitting the top combing.

Some of the photo etch is seriously fiddly, either that or I need stronger glasses!

DSC02850.jpg

Seat has been primed for paint but this will go in a lot later

DSC02851.jpg

I finished soldering the run up screen and fod guard followed by paint. These will be weatherd a little when thoroughly dry.

DSC02852.jpg

Finally, the nose ring painted black ready for chroming.

DSC02853.jpg

For a change its on to the wings, tail and elevators next.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Short update on this beastie.

Got a little bogged down in the detail, only to realise that a lot of it wont subsequently be seen.

A lot of time has been spent opening up many of the vents present on the lightning, and replacing the moulded pattern with plasticard strip.

In addition, a ton of weight has been concealed in the radar housing (not shown). and the air intake put together.

DSC02854.jpg

DSC02855.jpg

DSC02856.jpg

Im trying to convince myself that the vents will look better when painted.

This kit is notorious for the large gap between the end of the air intake and the air intake itself. Most builders of this kit will make an attempt to fair in this gap but as it will be hidden with the run up screen so ill not be bothering.

DSC02861.jpg

Another area iv'e been playing with is photoetch in various places including the jet pipes and front wheel well although very little will agin be seen once together.

PE Burner ring.

DSC02857.jpg

Jet pipe

DSC02858.jpg

complete jet pipe assembly

DSC02864.jpg

front wheel strut with PE

DSC02860.jpg

Wheel well PE

DSC02867.jpg

Finally I have made a start on the main wheel wells which will be a lot more visible and a test fit.

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02866.jpg

Next up, start to get a bit of paint on here and there and button up the fuselage

• Like 3

Short update,

As you folks probably know, the Trumpeter lightning has a number of "issues" around shape and more importantly length, Its 5 mm short which throws the wings out of position giving the model a squashed appearance.

I have sat and thought long and hard and decided to alter the kit in two ways.

1. add 5mm to the length

2. reduce the main landing gear by 2mm.

so I went and did this

DSC02868.jpg

oops!

DSC02869.jpg

The 5mm will be made up by making a series of shims from .20 mm plasticard, gluing them together and subsequently slotting them into the gap, a proper cut and shut job.

Increasing the length will throw the weight I placed into the radar housing further forward which will make the plane less of a tail sitter.

In reality, ive probably ruined it though!

• Like 2

Another little update,

The shim is in place and i'm leaving well alone to dry. With the nose back on the c of g is well forward which means no more weight will be required in the front to prevent tail sitting.

DSC02879.jpg

The 5mm makes all the difference. I popped the canopy on and offered up the wing to see whereabouts the leading edge comes to in relation to the canopy and i have to say its now pretty much bang on.

Just have to do a shed load of sanding and rescribing now!

If you look at where the leading edge tip comes to rest in the photos below,

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

Now look at this phot of the real thing.

DSC_0180.jpg

Im happy, now back to the wheelwells

• Like 4