FROG Beaufighter + TLC

Hi,

Here is my attempt to 'upgrade' the FROG Beaufighter 1, 6, 10 kit.

I scratchbuilt a representative interior, gouged out a tailwheel bay and installed a Revell Flitzer nosegear, and gave the kit a pretty full rescribe. The mainwheel bays were walled to prevent see-through into the wing and the nacelles and oil coolers were increased in diameter with milliput.

Aftermarket used included Aeroclub Hercules engines, cowlings and props, Falcon vacform canopies, a Yahu instrument panel (highly recommended!) and markings from one of the Xtradecal "Mediterranean Twins" sheets.

Paints used were Xtracrylics throughout applied by brush.

I'm happy with the results. Hope you like it too:

DSCF7196_zps73a85d88.jpg

DSCF7197_zpsfa0073bc.jpg

DSCF7200_zpse8384ba4.jpg

DSCF7202_zps70854a12.jpg

regards,

Martin

• Like 18

Excellent, Martin! I have this one in my stash, looking forward to building it. Extra Dark Sea Grey and Slate Grey for the topside colours?

Thank you!

The paints are, as you surmised, EDSG and DSG.

regards,

Martin

Lovely "Beau"! I used to have the Frog Mk.21 Australian version, but my kit is unfortunately long gone. I doubt it would have turned out as well as your version.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason.

That one is in my stash as well!

regards,

Martin

What a cracking model you`ve turned out there from the old Frog kit, great choice in schemes too,....but I`m biased in this respect as I researched the decal sheet and sent the idea to Hannants, so it is nice to see them being used!

Unfortunately I wasn`t shown the finished sheet to check it over before it was released (I wasn`t even told it had been released to be fair!) and the rear left fuselage code `D' should have `oreen' after it in small letters to read Maureen!It should also have a small white letter `D' on the nose above the camera. I told Hannants this and they produced a small errata sheet with some other `errors' rectified from other options on the sheet too...it shouldn`t be too hard to add the name and letter to your excellent model and Hannants will send you the errata sheet if you get in touch.

For anybody considering the Baltimore on the same sheet,....it isn`t a Mk.III with a four gun B/P turret as per the original sheet drawing,..it is a Lend Lease Mk.IIIa with a 2 gun Martin Turret and the 39 Sqn RAF Marauder Mk.III should have white code letters,..not yellow. I believe that later sheets have had these amended after I brought them up. The Med Twins part 2 sheet should hopefully be fine?

Well done again on a superb rendition of the old Frog kit,.....those engines really boost it don`t they?

Cheers

Tony

PS- Pamelamay was also fitted with rockets under the wings (hence also the rocket sortie mission markers on the left side of the nose) and it would have had a rear facing gun,......most likely a Vickers K Gun with the rear of the clear cowling removed, although the later enclosed cowling with a Browning is a possibility too?

Sorry about this Mike,.....I did let Hannants know about all of this as soon as I bought a copy of the sheet and saw the mistakes for myself! I`ll PM you with my e mail and I`ll get some photos of the real Beau off to you if you want to rectify it,...it would be a shame not to go the extra mile now that you`ve done such a brilliant job..

Edited by tonyot

What a cracking model you`ve turned out there from the old Frog kit, great choice in schemes too,....but I`m biased in this respect as I researched the decal sheet and sent the idea to Hannants, so it is nice to see them being used!

Unfortunately I wasn`t shown the finished sheet to check it over before it was released (I wasn`t even told it had been released to be fair!) and the rear left fuselage code `D' should have `oreen' after it in small letters to read Maureen!It should also have a small white letter `D' on the nose above the camera. I told Hannants this and they produced a small errata sheet with some other `errors' rectified from other options on the sheet too...it shouldn`t be too hard to add the name and letter to your excellent model and Hannants will send you the errata sheet if you get in touch.

For anybody considering the Baltimore on the same sheet,....it isn`t a Mk.III with a four gun B/P turret as per the original sheet drawing,..it is a Lend Lease Mk.IIIa with a 2 gun Martin Turret and the 39 Sqn RAF Marauder Mk.III should have white code letters,..not yellow. I believe that later sheets have had these amended after I brought them up. The Med Twins part 2 sheet should hopefully be fine?

Well done again on a superb rendition of the old Frog kit,.....those engines really boost it don`t they?

Cheers

Tony

PS- Pamelamay was also fitted with rockets under the wings (hence also the rocket sortie mission markers on the left side of the nose) and it would have had a rear facing gun,......most likely a Vickers K Gun with the rear of the clear cowling removed, although the later enclosed cowling with a Browning is a possibility too?

Sorry about this Mike,.....I did let Hannants know about all of this as soon as I bought a copy of the sheet and saw the mistakes for myself! I`ll PM you with my e mail and I`ll get some photos of the real Beau off to you if you want to rectify it,...it would be a shame not to go the extra mile now that you`ve done such a brilliant job..

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the above; I've replied to your PM. Further to that, the nose 'D' is a mea culpa. I forgot about that one! And I've cut away the observer's cupola but I didn't have a Vickers K gun (or reasonable facsimile) to hand. Again, that's for "another day".

Can I also publicly thank you for sharing your research with others - even if sometimes they appear unappreciative, Some of the interesting choices you have uncovered float my modeling boat anyway!

regards,

Martin

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the above; I've replied to your PM. Further to that, the nose 'D' is a mea culpa. I forgot about that one! And I've cut away the observer's cupola but I didn't have a Vickers K gun (or reasonable facsimile) to hand. Again, that's for "another day".

Can I also publicly thank you for sharing your research with others - even if sometimes they appear unappreciative, Some of the interesting choices you have uncovered float my modeling boat anyway!

regards,

Martin

No worries Martin,

Like I said you`ve made a beautiful Beau and it is certainly the best Frog Beau that I have ever seen,..........by far. Glad you like the schemes I dig up,

Cheers

Tony

Very nice.

I did some similar work to my FROG one several years ago using Aeroclub engines and and a couple other new bits, Didn't do the rescribing as it wasn't thought of at the time.

Recently sold the model among others as part of my slimming down process.

That's a great Beaufighter Martin and a lot of work. A real shame there is no easily available and easy to build kit.

This.is a great chance for Airfix. By the way, High Planes sells metal 1/72 K gun

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey

Extremely well done on your Beau!

I have a question for you re the Xtracrylics paints: how easily do they apply by brush, and is there any useful tip about using these paints with a hairy stick?

Thanks

JR

Excellent build and shows what can be achieved from golden oldies.

How was the fit of the wings in yours?ine was a Novo release and was awful.

Trevor

Trevor,

Many thanks!

Fit of the wings was not too hot, although to be fair that may have been due to the hacking around I'd already done. I'll post a photo showing the amount of filler I used.

regards,

Martin

Extremely well done on your Beau!

I have a question for you re the Xtracrylics paints: how easily do they apply by brush, and is there any useful tip about using these paints with a hairy stick?

Thanks

JR

JR,

Many thanks.

I am a fan of brush-painting Xtracrylics; I find them very easy to work with.

You asked for tips:

I thin them by 10 - 15% with filtered water. It's not an exact science; I know I've got it right when the paint flows nicely and doesn't immediately go sticky. If it does, I add some more water.

The thinning does entail building up the colour with several thin coats; unsurprisingly, light colours are worse (I usually undercoat light colours with Halfords white primer, lightly rubbed down with micromesh). Anything between 3 and 6 coats (I think the sky was 4 coats) can be required for lighter colours. Then I do the lighter main top surface colour (DSG in this case - 2 - 3 coats), and finally the EDSG shadow-shading (2 coats).

Sounds a faff maybe, but that lot took me 3 nights to finish the camo painting (and I was doing other stuff between coats). A coat only takes about 20 minutes to be recoat dry, so you can do two separate colours in an evening (I only model once the kids are in bed) if you're in a hurry.

I find a wide flat brush is best for large areas and I don't see any brush-strokes in my finish of large blocks of single colour. Don't use too wet a brush and ensure that paint doesn't pool around excrescences. I use a narrow flat brush to mark the edge of blocks of camouflage colour and I fill in the interior with a larger flat brush. Flat brushes really are the way to go for minimising brush marks. I find the gloss finish helps the paint to go on smoothly, too.

Does that help?

regards,

Martin

Yet another inspiring example of how (very!) legacy kits can be made into superb models with the help of experience, skills and dedication.

Impressive work indeed.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Many thanks, Joachim! Much appreciated.

regards,

Martin

That's a great Beaufighter Martin and a lot of work. A real shame there is no easily available and easy to build kit.

This.is a great chance for Airfix. By the way, High Planes sells metal 1/72 K gun

Cheers

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the tip. I'll investigate that!

regards,

Martin

Trevor,

Many thanks!

Fit of the wings was not too hot, although to be fair that may have been due to the hacking around I'd already done. I'll post a photo showing the amount of filler I used.

regards,

Martin

My Novo 'thing' was truly horrid

B02E0F04-C895-4095-A0F2-866CD546D83C_zps

Mine also showed signs of mould rust on one of the wing roots too.

Come on Airfix do the decent thing.

Trevor

Trevor,

That's what mine looked like:

DSCF6998_zpseb7ee4cb.jpg

But I drew attention away from the actual joint by adding wine bottle foil for the wing / fuse fairing:

DSCF7004_zpsf525879d.jpg

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Currently reading 'Night Fighter' by CF Rawnsley and Robert Wright and thinking of doing a Beau soon (RCAF TF X) though from the Matchbox/Revell kit. I know there are issues but with work...such as the hard graft you have put in to create the veritable silk purse. May use a Flitzer 'tailwheel' as well but don't tell the purists

Currently reading 'Night Fighter' by CF Rawnsley and Robert Wright and thinking of doing a Beau soon (RCAF TF X) though from the Matchbox/Revell kit. I know there are issues but with work...such as the hard graft you have put in to create the veritable silk purse. May use a Flitzer 'tailwheel' as well but don't tell the purists

Have fun! The Matchbox Beau scrubs up well with some TLC. Issues, yes; insoluble, no.

regards,

Martin