Cheers lads.....It really flew together last night, I've actually done a bit more since the last photos.

Have just got to add a few fiddly bits to the hull, then it's undercoat time.....I'm going to use plain black as I'm too short on time for preshading.

My summation of this kit would be "excellent, but odd".....It reminds me of the better small scale AFV kits from Trumpeter, but the fit is infinitely better, that's more like a tiny Tamiya kit.....The oddities relate either to the finesse of the parts (careful cleanup is very important) or choices made at the design stage (in my opinion).

Some more photos will be coming when the camera's eaten some electricity. :winkgrin:

So I stuck the final few details on:

Details02_zps9d7ce334.jpg

Managed to break the damned shovel:

Details01_zpsc4a69840.jpg

I textured the exhaust by stippling with liquid glue, but as it turned out I needn't have bothered because this happened:

AndItsFucked-1_zpsd4410a41.jpg

Army-Painter spray cans got me again! :wall:

Suffice it to say I am done with this build.....A very strongly worded e-mail has been sent to Army Painter and I have linked them to this build thread too. I started a fresh can to spray the turret and running gear last night. Don't even suggest that I didn't shake the can enough or that it was down to the humidity, I really might get quite cross!

Looking so nice and so tiny. Why on Earth did you use the Army Painter paint? I thought we agreed they were only fit (more or less) for landfill? I would try to salvage things with some sanding action but agree that it will not be easy.

Good luck.

Nigel

• Like 2

It was a fresh can (I bought two at once in a deal online) and it was the only black I had in.....I figured that it surely couldn't happen with three cans (my first one, yours and the fresh one). Well guess what? :doh:

As I said in my PM, I was being careful for obvious reasons, as soon as the 'texturing' began I released the nozzle, but the damned thing just kept spraying.....My hands are covered in paint and I had to rescue a couple of review kits sharpish, before they got pebble-dashed. :shutup:

I have been advised that Dettol may be of use in sorting the issue.....I'm not in the mood to mess with it tonight, but I'll have a look at disinfecting my model in the morning. I can't scrub at it without destroying things and sanding is right out with this plastic and all those rivets. :doh:

If I can smooth out the upper surfaces and blend it into the lowers, which aren't much affected typically enough, I may be able to salvage it.....On my Shermans the first can did its thing almost immediately, so the underside caught the flak and I could disguise what I couldn't remove with weathering. This time the bloody stuff ambushed me, waiting till I'd flipped the model over before going into Artex mode! :rant:

PS - The nozzle has now set rock-solid! Quality product! :fraidnot:

OK.....The Dettol does work, but the cotton-buds were a bad idea. The Dettol softens the paint sufficiently that you can gently polish away the worst of the ripples, but it also makes it somewhat tacky, so I now have a slightly less textured, but slightly furrier FT-17 than I did a while ago. :confused:

Looks like the fur will probably come off with a stiff brush and some water, so I may be able to salvage a semi-tolerable surface, as I do have a bit of wiggle room with a tank.....It'll never be good, but it may still be a finish! :shrug:

OK, so no more use of this paint, ever, regardless of circumstances, right. This was not what nice to see, I hope you can salvage it. Is there nothing that strips this paint but leaves the plastic unharmed? Like a good bath in brake fluid or mr. muscle? Try on scrap first.

• Like 1

Sarge!!! This is not good news :fraidnot: . I've not looked in for half a day or so and this happens :poo: !! You are having 'odd' luck with this project!

I really hope you are able to salvage this - don't give up yet! Keep fighting! :boxing:

• Like 1

Dettol has helped, but it's still pretty horrible. :shutup:

I may be able to salvage some sort of heavily weathered finish, but it will look pretty lame.....There is no way I can get it stripped, rebuilt and painted before the deadline, I'd have been pushing it even without this happening.

A fellow called Jonas Faering at army Army Painter got in touch and had the gall to suggest that I was 'spraying too close to the model'.....I have asked him to explain how this might have caused the can to continue spraying after I released the nozzle, or how it caused the nozzle to continue dribbling paint for half an hour before setting rock solid? :hmmm:

At the very least he's going to be reimbursing me for his faulty and defective products and the kit that they have damaged. :mellow:

Some recompense I guess but that is hugely annoying what a huge shame

He hasn't agreed to it yet, but if he has a grain of common sense, he will.....We are really quite well protected against this sort of shoddy product in the UK and I will take full advantage of that fact.

The Dettol has made a slight difference, but through the camera it still looks like slightly furry Hammerite:

PostDettol_zps06d283ec.jpg

Dammit all! I am not giving up on this model.....I am in the process of creating a variety of improvised miniature sanding tools using micromesh, starting at 3600grit. :rolleyes:

If I can just smooth away the worst of it I can hide the rest of it with weathering.....Why oh why did it have to be the top on this one? :doh:

Under the circumstances can I beg a dispensation to keep this thread open after deadline.....I'm not worried about entering the vote, it wouldn't have a prayer anyway! But I really would like to finish this build in the GB proper. :pray:

"Spraying too close to the model" - I think the guidance on the tin says to spray from 20cm max. Which was much too close to get a decent finish. Spraying from further away resulted in pebble dashing.

• Like 1

I saw a Deluxe stripping product at Telford which claimed to be able to strip any kind of paint in a matter of minutes without damaging underlying plastic. I thought of your dilemma when I saw it, might be worth looking at their website and seeing what you think.

• Like 1