1/32 P-47D Hasegawa...

Well it had to happen at some point I suppose, I've finally got around to sorting out a Phtobucket account and taking pictures of some plastic, previous viewers of my work have mainly been my wife and the dog... they like to show an interest...

Anyway, here we have my first adventure in to the wonderful world of Alclad, it's the Hasegawa P-47D of Major Eagleton out of France in early 1945. Not quite OOB, just added a spot of Eduard etch in the office and the excellent Master barrels, one of which is currently residing deep inside the wing and had to be replaced with a hollowed out kit part. The Alclads are Aluminium and Duraluminium and the rest of the paints are a mix of Tamiya and Xtracrylix, weathering courtesy of washes from Flory and Vallejo with a spot of pastel for good measure. Really enjoyed this one, could've done better with the decals, they really didn't want to settle despite a couple of pints of Micro Sol, Particularly the 'invasion' stripes which I really should have painted on, but I ended up not putting on a final sealing coat as I was pretty happy with the Alclad and didn't want to mess it up, as a result they are a bit shiny in places. Maybe a satin coat next time?

DSC_1975_zpsaf75b5e7.jpg

DSC_1974_zpsc2ac1f66.jpg

DSC_1978_zps3b2a96a0.jpg

DSC_1977_zps2f5fe024.jpg

DSC_1975_zpsaf75b5e7.jpg

DSC_1930_zpsd3884505.jpg

DSC_1927_zpsed660a94.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely build mate, excellent cockpit, great finish all round.

How did you find first use of Alclad, taking the first plung soon myself.

Thanks very much, as for the Alclad... Well to be honest I had those two bottles sitting in the paint drawer, unopened, for well over a year before finally overcoming my fear and biting the bullet. And to be honest... it's really not that bad. There is so much to be read on the 'net about it that I would recommend that as the starting place, just set aside an hour or two just for you and Google and you'll pretty soon figure out the bits that apply to your build. Essentials? A good face mask, without a doubt. Mine was under £20 on Amazon, and I don't see how you can use the stuff without one. And prep... lots and lots of lovely prep... you think that seam is invisible and ready to paint? Well it's not... go back and do it all again... I got lucky here in that the main join along the top of the fuselage was later hidden under a lovely thick (and forgiving) layer of OD. Also, it's well worth taking the time to rub down the primer if you need to (I use Halfords Grey) as the Alclad even highlights a rough paint texture.

On the plus side, it sprays fantastically (lot's of very thin layers) dries quickly, and the cellulose thinners really cleaned up my airbrush a treat. You can vary the shades by using a black undercoat on some panels and generally really have some fun with it. Oh... and I did mine in the shed, took everything down there, airbrush, compressor, cleanup stuff, the works. I'll happily spray acrylics in the house but this stuff is, to put it mildly, a tad smelly.

Good luck with it, I was scared of the stuff for ages and am now a solid convert, let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter

Great build! Are they kit decals? love this scheme, my RC P47 is in this scheme too.

Many thanks! Yup, they're the kit decals, straight form the box, not the best, but by no means the worst I've seen! Your RC one must be an absolute monster in terms of size!!!