E-3D Sentry. Airfix 1/72

Very nice build. I like the head-on picture showing all 10 wheels to touching the ground at the same time - not always easy to get right on these multi wheel large planes. :goodjob:

Andrew

• Like 1

About the anniversary tail markings - did they not capture the look of the real thing? I have been hunting for the MA sheet in the hope of building that particular aircraft. I'm just wondering if I should stop my fruitless searches?

• Like 1

Very nice. Are the panel lines on this brute something that require attention? Your paint looks gorgeous.

Hi there.

The panel lines are nearly all engraved, but they are quite wide. The only ones not engraved are on the engine pylons and the wingtip pods. I didn't bother doing anything with those.

Thanks

Gaz

• Like 1

That's a cracking build Gaz.

Much respect for being able to take decent photos of it too :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks for posting.

mike

Thanks Mike.

I'm a numpty with a camera and the photos are a complete and utter fluke The VC10 was too big to photograph in the normal way (light blue paper for background etc) so I took some of it on the bedroom carpet and then just put it back on the 'in-progress shelf' for close-ups.....which happens to be a couple of glass coffee tables stacked up. I only have 2 dodgy lights which makes it all a bid shady. Oh and I borrow a camera from work...... Seemed to work though so I did the same for this one. :)

Thanks

Gaz

IMG_0224_zps9be789fd.jpg

• Like 2

Thats lovely,....really nice and I`m glad that you reverted to the normal markings. Do they still have 23 Sqn markings on the other side?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Me too, it just didn't look right with a brightly coloured tail. 23 Sqn ? yes it sure does.......it's my preferred side although I reckon the markings look better on a Phantom or Lightning. :winkgrin:

Thanks

Gaz

IMG_0222_zpsd240092d.jpg

IMG_0223_zps04e83857.jpg

• Like 1

A lovelly looking beast! I've heard that the kit is a pig to build, how did you find it? If it is a pig then you have done a fine job!

Cheers now

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for you comments.

There was nothing too hard about the build. Just be sure to test fit and trim where required, particularly when fitting the wing to the fuselage. The biggest hassle was knocking stuff over and snapping bits off when manoeuvering the beast around !!

Gaz

That's really very nice. Out of interest how much space does it take up?

A lot !!!! But hey, size does matter and it's pretty impressive ! :whistle:

Here's a picture of it on the workbench to give you an idea.

IMG_0221_zps81ef8824.jpg

And here's a size comparison...

DSCF4418_zps4cc8bb5a.jpg

Impressive, most impressive! If you don't mind me asking, what's the wingspan and fuselage length on this model? Just out of curiosity!

Hi there. It's about 650mm long by 630mm wide. Not sure what that is in old money.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

About the anniversary tail markings - did they not capture the look of the real thing? I have been hunting for the MA sheet in the hope of building that particular aircraft. I'm just wondering if I should stop my fruitless searches?

Hiya.

I'm just not a fan of anniversary markings, and to be honest I just found them a bit gaudy where I prefer the workmanlike military look. The main reason I got MA sheet was for the stencils. The Airfix ones look like they were drawn with a big fat crayon ! The MA ones are nice and crisp........and there's lots and lots and lots of them........this was the hardest part of the build and took weeks.

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks for putting up an image of the Sentry with some of your other kits large and small. It really does put the size of it in context. I don't ever remember seeing a 1/72nd VC10 before. What brand is that kit please - it looks stunning (as do the others)?

Thanks for putting up an image of the Sentry with some of your other kits large and small. It really does put the size of it in context. I don't ever remember seeing a 1/72nd VC10 before. What brand is that kit please - it looks stunning (as do the others)?

Here you go, I only finished that one a couple of weeks ago :)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968127-vc10-c1k-172-magna-xr810/?hl=vc10

Cheers

Gaz