1/72 Airborne 6 pounder

James Taylor

I have the Milicast Airborne version of the 6 pdr - whilst I haven't built it yet it looks a very accurate reproduction. re The Airfix offerings The Jeep needs some work to be truly Airborne and the trailer supplied with it was only used in small numbers by UK & Commonwealth forces; I have a lot of research into our Airborne and this US produced trailer does not show up any where with them.

hope this is helpful

TED

• Like 2

I'd be interested in your suggestions for improvements to the Airborne Jeep, Ted. The kit does provide US markings so the trailer can be used with that version, even though that's not quite what it says in the instructions.

Hi Graham , there is a lot of excellent info on the tinternet, I managed to get copies of both the written orders and workshop drawings for the modification for service with airborne units - we're talking North West Europe-- D Day, Arnhem and then the crossing of the Rhine. Rear corner grab handles removed and in some cases the side ones as well. rear jerry can holder removed and replaced by 3 -one between the front seats and one behind each front seat. pioneer tools fitted to new front bumper- this was reinforced and had a centre mounted tow hitch to enable it to be pulled by another jeep. depending on role spare wheel mounted on front bumper , if towing 6 pounder the spare wheel remained at the back but the mount was moved 6 inches further to the offside, on the front bumper shell boxes were carried. Steering wheels were modified to be easily removed for glider loading. On the 3 Operations I mentioned the large pintle rear tub mounted browning was not a feature; the recce lads had a Vickers K mounted forward of the windscreen. the Recce also had a frame on the rear to carry extra stowage.

it goes on and on. Most had a triangular tow frame stowed upright on the back this was for use in towing broken down jeeps it connected to the hitch on the front bumper.

hope this helps

TED

Edited by ted angus

Thanks Ted. I thought that there was more to it than I'd seen in the published sprues but was assured that the kit had been based on hard information from the Airborne Museum. I was consoled by the thought that there probably was considerable variation between different examples. My kit is not so advanced as to rule out changes such as you suggest.

I was talking about the Jeep.....Things kind of wandered. :blush:

I'm hoping some enterprising cottage industry producer might make a resin Airborne 6pdr conversion set for the slightly chunky but otherwise rather good Plastic Soldier Company kit. :pray:

Hmm, bit of scratchbuidling could give some nice results:

_MG_5137.jpg
_MG_5138.jpg
_MG_5139.jpg
_MG_5140.jpg
_MG_5142.jpg
Made the 10CWT trailer from plastic card and used the wheels and suspension from the Airfix kit. The 6pdr came from PSC.
And my interpretation of the Airborne jeep:
_MG_5151.jpg
_MG_5152.jpg
As a reference I used Rob van Meel's book (http://www.robvanmeel.nl/?q=node/8557 )
Hope this helps.

Nice work. I presume the box on the front bumper contains the pioneer tools that Ted Angus referred to, or is that a different fit? I was about to fit the Airfix parts onto the front but have delayed for clarification.

Your jerricans are larger than those provided in the kit. Is this a kit flaw or did they come in different sizes? A related question is: did the Airborne paint the crosses on the sides with white for water, or were such assumed to be unnecessary in NW Europe?

If you were planning on say, dousing a cooking fire, I'd imagine the white cross could still be a boon! :jump_fire:

Actually, I'm not at all sure about this.....I've never noticed the white crosses, but I've never really looked for them either.....Shall have to have another browse. ;)

Cracking stuff.....Don't suppose you fancy casting up half a dozen resin copies at all? :hmmm::wicked:

Seroiously though, that's a smashing job and every bit as detailed as the resin/white metal options in the other scale. B)

Well, to be honest. I first wanted to make a 10CWT trailer and then look if I could make another one as single pieces and cast them in resin. Seems possible to me but need to work out the details in the coming weeks.

Nice work. I presume the box on the front bumper contains the pioneer tools that Ted Angus referred to, or is that a different fit? I was about to fit the Airfix parts onto the front but have delayed for clarification.

Your jerricans are larger than those provided in the kit. Is this a kit flaw or did they come in different sizes? A related question is: did the Airborne paint the crosses on the sides with white for water, or were such assumed to be unnecessary in NW Europe?

Well, the box on the front bumper comes from the PSC Loyd Carrier set and is 6pdr ammo. According to pics around Arnhem the ammo was carried on the front bumper and in tubes on the bonnet. Never saw white crosses on the jerricans.

The jerricans behind the seats are resin copies of the kit one :blush: . The kit one was was meant to put on the back of the jeep and had the holder molded on the jerrican. Similar holders were used to stow the jerricans in the jeep. I compared the size of the jerricans with other 1/72 samples and they have the same size.

The pioneer tools go onto the front face of the bumper- re white crosses on the cans- according to WD instructions water cans were to be SCC2 with white markings.; this regulation appears to be still in force til the late 1950s !!!!!!!

re the ammo for the 6 pounder boxes could be carried both on the bumper and bonnet- or boxed on the bumper and 3 tube sets on the bonnet.

Some nice work can't wait to start my project; I have just got my SHQ miniatures order of figures to supplent some from milicast. - I aim to recreate the famous picture of the 2nd Staffs on their way from their LZ to Arhnem with the 6 pdr at the rear.

ted

This one you mean?

The_British_Airborne_Division_at_Arnhem_

In Rob van Meel's book (http://www.robvanmeel.nl/?q=node/8557 ) there are 2 more pics and also one from the front of the jeep.

You can see 2 sets of tubes on the bonnet, ammo case on the bumper and the pioneer tools strapped on the bonnet including some canvas/camo webbing.

I'm using the AB, Germania and SHQ figures to recreate the same scene.

Edited by Arie Vos

SHQ Wargaming stuff were excellent, I have a load painted in the attic from when I used to game. Howerer, AB looks even better but not seen it in the flesh,or lead, to confirm this.

Thanks Arie - That's the picture I better buy that book anyone ordered from UK any problems using paypal ?

Graham never seen a water can on board- I think on market garden it would have been fuel water could and was readily availible locally ? but that is just my assumption from all I have seen and read