Airfix 1/24th Spitfire Mk. Ia

jonbius

Here's some pics of a big scale Airfix Mk. I I'm building. I have the basic paint on, and the decals have just been finished. Next up will be weathering and so forth.

Paint is Tamiya Sky, RAF Dark Green 2 and Gunze Dark Earth.

It's a good kit to build, though it does show it's age. I am building this on commission, and I ordered the recent Airfix boxing. I'd forgotten I have an old 70s era boxing of this kit. About halfway through the build, I "discovered" that old boxing, and compared parts. It is amazing to see what time does to a mold.

Still, quite builadable and quite fun. (Although I am hoping Airfix decides to do an updated 1/24th scale Spitfire someday!)

I added a few aftermarket parts- a seat, control column and undercarriage lever from Gray Matter Figures. (http://www.greymatterfigures.com/)

The rest is OOB. It's built gear up, as the customer wants it to hang from his ceiling. To facilitate this, I split the rubber tires in half, and it fit pretty nicely.

20141012_072732.jpg

20141012_072713.jpg

20141012_072700.jpg

• Like 7

Beautifully finished! More and more I like the realism that larger scales can give (although there are those magicians that can do that in 72nd too!), especially when painted this well.

Congrats,

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...