Tunnan J29B - Tarangus 1//72

This is my latest completion - SAAB J29B Tunnan assembled from new Tarangus kit

OOB decals represent aircraft from F.8 Wing at Barkarby near Stockholm somewhere in mid-50s

Kit is quite nice overall - but be patient to align wings, stabiliser, and particularly resin wheel bays. My additions included resin wheels from Aires, metal pitot tubes, some improvements in cockpit - seat harness, port side wall inside the cabin. I also replaced original exhaust pipe (a veeery basic!) with a plastic ring+resin nozzle for MiG-15. I cut the rear part of MiG-15's nozzle with turbine blades and attached it to plastic ring. Tunnans were not painted which resulted in various shades of panels as can be judged from photos. I tried to reflect this effect by painting my Tunnan with 5 various shades of aluminium.

Enjoy the photos ;)

IMG_4852_zpsfc2d624c.jpg

IMG_4835_zps85f30900.jpg

IMG_4859_zps8e512b69.jpg

IMG_4870_zpsae5526a5.jpg

IMG_4842_zps18c4b6e9.jpg

IMG_4876_zps5a7eef56.jpg

• Like 18

Great build of a nice lite. Looking really good!

Cracking build of a very interesting little aircraft,built Matchbox,s issue years ago,wonder where the tooling went? Nice one!

Revell have re-issued it twice, last time about 2010, with UN decals - which is wrong since the UN Tunnan fighters were J 29B and Matchbox' kit is a J 29F.

• Like 1

Lovely build, and the NMF is superb. I built Heller's version over 30 years ago, and it didn't turn out so well, but I have a soft spot for the type. You've done it real justice!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for kind comments!

Tunnan is a very attractive and interesting aircraft in my view. A real breakthrough of Swedish aircraft industry.

Also I look forward buiding a small collection of Swedish birds. So it wasn't a tough decision to buy Tarangus kit and start assembling it immediately.

And a note to kit-makers - new Swedish kits like Lansen, Viggen or SAAB 105 in 1/72 are really welcome! Hope Revell will issue JAS-39D as well.

Although the Tunan looks like a Mystere IV who has had an overdose of black pudding, it is nonetheless a cute little plane. And after passing through your hands, it looks just great.

Very well done on all counts

JR

• Like 1