1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

thanks chaps & evening folks :)

...on to todays bits and bobs..

..the control column.. I got a few pics to work from and picked up on a few things.. the column itself is wider at the base with a sort of gradual flare, it is also quite curved and the grip itself has a fine ribbed texture that might be a bit challenging to reproduce.. the pic on the left is actually the column from N7654C..

WIP351_zpsj0fk6ete.jpg

..to make the column itself I sketched a scale version so I knew the size / shape to work to and bent some rod over a flame to get the basic shape. Then I drizzled CA over the end to bulk out the bottom and then shaped it as near as I could to the true shape...

WIP352_zpsoo3mzulf.jpg

...for the pistol grip I set a bit of guitar string into another bit of rod and shaped & added detail - this was the only way I could think of to get regular even spacing...

WIP353_zpsrghh6xly.jpg

...I gave it a little wash to try and show how it looks...

WIP354_zpsmot8njet.jpg

...added the linkage detail from brass etc and the main torque tube that goes under the seat...

WIP355_zpsiksvfksq.jpg

..and assembled...

WIP356_zpsb33chsu1.jpg

WIP357_zpsqyc4xacf.jpg

..and checked it all slots together as it needs to be assembled in situ through the cockpit aperture..

WIP359_zpsqdrdeoap.jpg

WIP360_zpsdzzjsmhz.jpg

..and in place...

WIP358_zpss8ikhes6.jpg

..thats it for now - back soon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 12

evening chaps smile.png

just a little update as to be honest I haven't got very much done recently!

..the objective was to build the Rudder & Elevator trim control unit - it's this box with the wheel on it below...

WIP363_zps2sj6esjg.jpg

..first up was the wheel itself - I cut a very thin slice from some brass tube of about 7mm diameter and added a plastic card flange to it. Then cut a three spoked bit of brass sheet and punched out a centre cap..

WIP364_zpstbtwy00q.jpg

..assembled the parts to make the trim wheel..

WIP365_zps9uifilr9.jpg

...for the control body, I built the shapes onto a length of square stock - this serves as a useful handle until the time comes. The bits are just punched discs and brass sheet again - the forward knurled knob is made from airscale bits of PE...

WIP366_zpsvg6vlel7.jpg

..aded the part to the side wall and added the torque rods. To support the rods at the rear, I made a small brass sheet bracket - this can't really be seen once it's in place..

WIP367_zpsmihbi0jo.jpg

WIP368_zps9bh034rg.jpg

..and here it is dry-fitted, waiting to be hidden by the seat ninja.gif

WIP369_zpsatp0dqup.jpg

so, one little bit in a few hours modelling - this build may take some time...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 6

Thinking back almost 40 years to when

I first joined up and was taught this stuff...

Those torque rods may not be torque rods.

I can't remember the name of it now, but,

It's metal tubes with a flexible threaded metal

rod inside. Turn this end and the other end turns.

Also widely used for engine controls.

Whatever, awesome modelling.

I can't remember the name of it now, but,

It's metal tubes with a flexible threaded metal

rod inside. Turn this end and the other end turns.

Also widely used for engine controls.

Teleflex ? there was another one too but I can't remember the name of that

*edited* Finally remembered - Bowden cables

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

ah - I learn something every day! thanks chaps :)

...the next part on the F7F bench is all the control rods underneath the throttle quadrant - they are helpfully picked out in different coulours on this restored bird...

WIP378_zpsuvc7q3op.jpg

..I made a shaft and many, many tiny cams & lever arms added some tube and banjo fittings for the rods that go upwards to the throttles - these parts were super-tiny and pretty tricky to assemble...

WIP370_zpsjaji5krd.jpg

..also made up the control rods from albion alloy tubes - crimped & drilled the ends to take tiny rivet fasteners...

WIP371_zpsreclrazp.jpg

..after assembly I taped the unit to a square to get the control rods straight and make up a bracket to hold them later on...

WIP372_zpsqenx4nvg.jpg

..and eventually it was complete and ready for fitting...

WIP373_zpsypx5baeq.jpg

..and fitted into place on the sidewall..

WIP374_zpssqjxsm9e.jpg

WIP375_zpsnlrrkhxj.jpg

..and another dry fit to make sure it doesn't foul anything and I can still get all the sub-assemblys in, and out of the cockpit opening...

WIP376_zps2wi75n36.jpg

WIP377_zpsrqufpvle.jpg

..so thats it - about 50 parts in another little bit - at least at this rate in 11,756 days I will have finished...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 8

..so thats it - about 50 parts in another little bit - at least at this rate in 11,756 days I will have finished...

TTFN

Peter

But just think of all the wonderful entertainment you're getting out of it! Excellent value for your money :)

• Like 1

thanks chaps!

woohoo!

my custom Photo Etch just arrived and I have to say I think it is exquisite smile.png

PPD just do amazing things - so in the spirit of the big reveal....

..well packed as always...

WIP379_zpsotzkfryh.jpg

...they helpfully did two copies - one in 8 thou and one in 6 thou brass...

WIP380_zpso4dcjgoq.jpg

..and the detail is fantastic...

WIP381_zpsuf1cldyw.jpg

WIP385_zpsvher1rf8.jpg

WIP383_zpsgrwz4wj4.jpg

WIP384_zpsbpsvfjei.jpg

..can't wait to get on with it now...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 11

That is REALLY cool! I wish I had the skills to do what you are doing with this Tigercat. I guess with many years of practice...

EDIT: Will you be painting her in in the USN scheme or as Tanker #18? If you chose the latter option, you could also make the tank, which could be made removable as that is how it is (was?) in real life, and would not have to fit perfectly...

Edited by POTKC
  • Like 1

That is REALLY cool! I wish I had the skills to do what you are doing with this Tigercat. I guess with many years of practice...

EDIT: Will you be painting her in in the USN scheme or as Tanker #18? If you chose the latter option, you could also make the tank, which could be made removable as that is how it is (was?) in real life, and would not have to fit perfectly...

One day in a galaxy far, far away it will be painted as Tanker #63 N7654C operated by TBM Inc, though it won't have a fire retardant tank as I think they spoil the aircraft's lines... the pics I have show it without a tank (and without one in sight) so at least I don't have to build one!

so, now I needed to make the throttle quadrant - it's a bunch of complex handles & levers and took some time to mentally dis-assemble into components I could try & recreate...

..there are the two main throttles at the top with their 'bullet' like handles, and then a number of other controls (I can't profess to know what they are...)..

WIP378_zpsuvc7q3op.jpg

..I cut a thin strip of brass to start making up the two lower handles and put a bit of plastic rod in my new dremel to turn the ball-like handles..

WIP386_zpsl1y9nlxh.jpg

...I made up the others and cut out the first few of the body panels from the PE I had made...

WIP387_zpsilrhtfwk.jpg

..and started making the first section - the main rod serves as the base for everything else to orient to..

WIP388_zpstd3e6w82.jpg

..working through the levers...

WIP389_zps9lpupw55.jpg

..also made the throttles by turning some tube in the dremel again..

WIP390_zpsgtwf3xab.jpg

..the second section only has one canted lever and a different kind of handle...

WIP391_zpss2vfnxda.jpg

...during assembly - using rods to keep alignment...

WIP392_zpseigygukx.jpg

..and the finished part - again, a full day's effort at the bench...

WIP394_zpstanjjso0.jpg

WIP395_zpsbxtrd6ek.jpg

..I think I will paint it next as I have had trouble in the past trying to get in all the crevices - I might try the uschi blackening agent I have to turn brass black, but I have never managed to get it to stay on very well..

..once painted I can think about hooking it up to it's connector rods etc..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 11