1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

Hello All,

Well, for soots-n-giggles; how about some eye candy of a 1:1 scale Tigercat also under construction:

http://westpacrestorations.com/index.php?page=f7f-tigercat-80375

My daily checking-in at this space has me wanting to at least post something; so here goes!

Enjoy!

PR

• Like 1

Peter, I keep getting confused with which is the real cockpit and which is yours! Some of the old colour photos you have of the actual thing just look like your actual work... When you popped them up I though, bloody hell he finished that quick! Goes something towards the quality of your finish so far I would say....

Rob

• Like 1

Peter,

Question: What is your source for scale nuts, bolts, rivets and litho? (Don't know if you have some links to share)

Forgive me if I've asked this before...

With thanks,

PR

Hi PR

The nuts & bolts are Scale Hardware

Rod ends & banjo fittings are actually car parts from RB Motion

and the litho is a bit more difficult as its from a seller on ebay that comes & goes - I think the item title is 'Limited availability - 10 A4 Sheets of Litho Plate for Scratch Build Modelling' he seems to be on every couple of months..

happy shopping.. :pilot:

Peter

chaps I can truly say I am blushing and humbled - those are some very nice things said about my efforts smile.png

..I haven't had much time this week, but I did decide I had to get the exterior of the fuselage finished before I could get much more done in the cockpit. This is because I don't want to be doing any rough handling with all those little fiddly bits inside..

..that meant getting the tailskid area sorted out - the skid itself and the skinning around it..

..this is the skid - note the 'V' shaped frame and mounting bracket, the rounded skid/shoe part, and when I get to them the big domed rivets..

WIP1260_zps0jhmukgz.jpg

..first step was to open out the floor area a little as I had made it too shallow - this was later lined with pre-rivetted litho..

WIP1259_zpsndiibctb.jpg

..for the 'T' shaped mounting bracket I started with a bit of brass stock (I seem to work a lot more with metal these days, not sure why..) where I drilled a hole and then used a dremel & grinding disc to grind away so as to leave what looks like the welded structure.. I always find it easier to form a part as much as possible while it is still attatched to the stock it is being made from, and then the final step is to remove it and clean up..

WIP1258_zpspd2g5kjh.jpg

..same with the skid shoe itself.. this started as abit of thick walled copper pipe..

WIP1262_zps7k1aigeb.jpg

..I made up a variety of parts to construct the skid and it's mounting & brackets

WIP1261_zpsvlwgmiu0.jpg

..starting to assemble the skid arm..

WIP1263_zps0ctildqe.jpg

..and with the mounting fixtures..

WIP1264_zpsj4jvh0va.jpg

WIP1265_zpstwu1o93r.jpg

..and this is where the assembly will sit in the airframe...

WIP1267_zpsnn9pvmhu.jpg

WIP1266_zpsgbnkcztp.jpg

...I need to do the exterior skinning still, but at least once this is done the skid assembly can just drop in when I need it to..

thanks for dropping by..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 22

Bl**d* lovely

As I do a bit of scratchbuilding in 'little-plane' size its quite pleasant to see that some of the techniques I use in plastic translate into larger scale metal

I do a lot of cutting away the 'un-shapes' from plastic rods and rectangles just like the bracket you have done here, nice to be doing it right

If you are doing it I know I'm doing it right :thumbsup2:

These larger dome rivets, will they be indented from inside or will you add them as an outside addition for emphasis?

This really is modelling as an art form

• Like 1

Peter,

Looking over the links provided for scale hardware and such, it looks that these projects are rather expensive to build. Thank you for the links -- keeping them on hand for a project I have got to get back to (1:10 scale aerial camera) and camera bay details for Lockheed F-4-1-LO.

Thanks again and looking forward to your next bit of brilliance!

PR

• 2 weeks later...

So out of withdrawal, I have taken to searching the web for Peter's build of a Hobbycraft Sea Fury. Here is the first blog that I found (this being over at Large Scale Modeller):

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1387-hobbycraft-sea-fury-hawker-company-demonstrator-g-akry/

Forgive me BM if I missed similar pages here! We can blame it on Google for hitting on LSM first. Offered for the consideration of those in a similar way as me!

Cheers All!

PR

• 4 months later...

Any progress on the Tigercat of late?

Thank you for asking and giving me a little Sunday nostalgia looking back at a few pics :) I am afraid it is safely stored in bubble wrap for now..

I can say one thing - as soon as I finish the Spitfire I am working on, the F7F gets dusted off and completed, absolutely no doubt about that

The Spit was an itch I had to scratch, but I cannot live with the guilt of leaving the 'cat behind...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 2

Do you have any pics of the Spitfire Peter? I had the honour of partaking in a situation where a real spitfire did a low pass over a boat deck. Really something else seeing one pass 10 meters above your head.

Do you have any pics of the Spitfire Peter? I had the honour of partaking in a situation where a real spitfire did a low pass over a boat deck. Really something else seeing one pass 10 meters above your head.

There is a build thread in this sub forum that Peter is doing, 1/18scale and as stunning as the tigercat

• Like 1

Glad to hear that. I have nothing but admiration for the work on this and the Spitfire. It has inspired me to try the Contrail vac form Tigercat in 1/48.

If you really meant to say 1/48, why the Contrail vac when there's the quite nice AMT kit? (I know, because it is in your stash...)

bob

• 3 months later...

Dear Mister Airscale.

Please stop demotivating an entire generation of modellers with your insanely high build quality and creativity.

Sincerely,

The whole modelling community.

• Like 3

Ooh I'm Peter, look at me with my ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT modelling skils and INSANE eye for detail and EXPERT craftsmanship. I'm so special building this GORGEOUS plane with next to f-ing nothing to begin with. Come on man, grow up, think about your comades, keep this to yourself, it's just NOT fair!

But seriously, I have a strong urge to ask you to marry me. I'm not gay, there probably is an age and distance problem, I might have a grilfriend who is sortoff expecting to be asked sometime soon. Yet I stongly feel these are just everso minute bumps on our path to the altar.

Just think about it ;) 

I'll be bringing you coffee and beer while you're modelling, I'll even wear a dress if that helps...you can even see other modellers in our relationship, I'll turn an eye for you

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kasparov said:

Ooh I'm Peter, look at me with my ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT modelling skils and INSANE eye for detail and EXPERT craftsmanship. I'm so special building this GORGEOUS plane with next to f-ing nothing to begin with. Come on man, grow up, think about your comades, keep this to yourself, it's just NOT fair!

But seriously, I have a strong urge to ask you to marry me. I'm not gay, there probably is an age and distance problem, I might have a grilfriend who is sortoff expecting to be asked sometime soon. Yet I stongly feel these are just everso minute bumps on our path to the altar.

Just think about it ;) 

I'll be bringing you coffee and beer while you're modelling, I'll even wear a dress if that helps...you can even see other modellers in our relationship, I'll turn an eye for you

hahaha - thank you for the offer, but Mrs airscale might have something to say about that :)  If what I do serves as inspiration then I am humbled and honoured - thank you

This F7F will also be at Telford (unfinished unfortunately) on the 32SIG / LSP stand so please drop by and take a look

See you there hopefully

Peter

• Like 2

5 hours ago, airscale said:

hahaha - thank you for the offer, but Mrs airscale might have something to say about that :)  If what I do serves as inspiration then I am humbled and honoured - thank you

This F7F will also be at Telford (unfinished unfortunately) on the 32SIG / LSP stand so please drop by and take a look

See you there hopefully

Peter

Ha! That sounds suspiciously like a date.

But seriously, Telford is on my list.

Downside is that I'm coming from The Netherlands and my missus will be bored stiff if I drag her there. I might combine it with a visit to Santa Pod in a year or two from now and take my best mate.