1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

Each and every time I look in here my 'awesome level' gets hammered

I'm loving the channelling, to think I needed machinery to do that at work in my youth

I love this aeroplane, and I'd hardly ever heard of it years ago

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Just like the real thing Peter stunning !

Guy

• Like 1

evening folks.. smile.png

so, plodding along and today was about getting one of the cockpit sidewalls into some sort of shape..

..this is actually N7654C in Pensacola and what I am shooting for..

WIP1207_zpsa7kucdjg.jpg

..first thing was to just get the sidewall liner to fit properly and snugly and offer up the side console to make sure it fits and doesn't foul the seat. One thing became obvious, I painted the sidewall as per Grumman factory instruction of green below the instrument panel, but looking at the real thing it has been oversprayed black and I need to make the same change..

WIP1199_zps8exu2t3o.jpg

..this is the one that needs attention, so I did the chromate primer & hairspray thing again..

WIP1200_zpsalyopssp.jpg

..and after some weathering to try and match the original..

WIP1201_zpshsdzt1hh.jpg

....when the parts were a good dry fit I cemented the switch console to the sidewall in situ so there were no alignment problems, and added the canopy winding handle..

WIP1202_zpsqtbeaclw.jpg

..also added some of the wiring bundles - need to finish it off and blend it in though..

WIP1203_zpsjvkfo5js.jpg

and test fitting it in the cockpit - the two sides go in, then the seat - well thats the plan anyway...

WIP1204_zpsgy0p2w03.jpg

WIP1206_zpsrqh1lrfw.jpg

WIP1205_zpskcb8hylq.jpg

..got the weekend to fiddle about a bit more..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 14

Peter,

Question: Are you going to build it such that the canopy slides? (Or is at least in the open position) I would hate to see it buttoned-up that you cannot see inside that awesome pit!

Brilliant!!!

PR

• Like 1

Your parts are so exquisite Peter. Can you take a few close-ups of the panels for me? I'd love to make toggles like that in my P-61 cockpit in 1/32nd but I need some ideas as to how......

• Like 1

I'm getting a tad worried that the Pensacola place will get upset at you keep taking bits off their airframe to make it look like you modelled it...

Not!!!

BLOOMING LOVELY

What was good is now next to impossibly good

I'll just sit back now and be quietly jealous

very

• Like 1

Gets better every time you add something , hoping the canopy will slide or be open to see all that detail.

Well done Peter.

Guy

• Like 1

thanks guys smile.png

..bit more done on the other side...

..don't know what this bracket is, but it is typical of a model within a model.. I am sure to most people it is a square empty space, but to oddballs like me it is still an interesting challenge.. note how it is folded and the corners are missing and radiused, there is a folded flange lower left, there are a number of holes and different tones where something was mounted there (like taking a painting off the wall..)

..told you I was odd...

WIP1208_zpspjyeqotl.jpg

first step was to make a paper template...

WIP1209_zpsd6owgv8c.jpg

..it needs to allow for the folded parts too, and what better material to use than a bit of litho sheet,,,

WIP1210_zps6ajqdjlv.jpg

..marked it out and scored the outer cuts to bend & break off the waste..

WIP1211_zpsi7uxt8aq.jpg

..used a dremel and cutting wheel to grind the radiused corners...

WIP1212_zpsxysxpo1e.jpg

..and after cleaning up..

WIP1213_zpsiztwxpx3.jpg

..and then folding in a folding tool..

WIP1214_zps0vhxwl7u.jpg

..I sprayed it black, masked the patch and sprayed a bit lighter - added some weathering and mounted it...

WIP1215_zpspyc4fe2x.jpg

..I repainted the whole cockpit liner the same as the other one to move the black line down and get some hairspray chipping...

WIP1216_zpsgsfqtr5k.jpg

..and hopefully tomorrow I find out if the seat fits between them... ninja.gif

WIP1217_zpsdiynxzup.jpg

..thats it for now..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 16

I for one am waiting with baited breath waiting to see the fit of the seat in the pit!

PR

You and me both. I'm getting light headed and will need unbait my breath in a minute!

11/10 (I've run out of words......)

Trevor

• Like 1

Look forward to the seat going in hope it's adjustable !!! :pilot:

Guy

• Like 1