1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

...somehow I missed you mentioning the jet instrument bezels in this thread, but luckily I "stumbled" upon them while on the Hannants website and ordered 3 sets right away (you may remember me asking/begging you about such a product at Telford 2014...).

I'm also looking forward to seeing your progress on the Tigercat of course!

Jeffrey

• Like 1

evening folks :)

so after a cough and a splutter I made it back to my bench... I am not sure what drove such a long hiatus (though I have been madly busy) but I just couldn't get going again after Telford... and I mean I felt stuck... didn't want to do anything to the F7F...

,,anyways I am not going to start navel gazing to try and work it out, it seems it is over and I made myself sit down this morning and start back in the cockpit - it's may favourite part and I thought if anything gets me started this will..

checked the bits I had made already...

WIP1164_zpsy6kdo3lv.jpg

..and decided to start by making the floor, so I started setting the parts in the 'pit so I could work out the layout & where panel lines & rivets go...

WIP1165_zpsiu33ku8p.jpg

..I found a bit of litho I had bleached so it looked a bit tired and would be good for the floor as I will chip through the paint to see it - scribed & rivetted as usual..

WIP1166_zpsx3ac1qbb.jpg

..I had cut a hole in the floor where the panel will mount, but it is hidden once the mount is set there...

WIP1167_zpsyp2ub6zj.jpg

...with the floor done, I was looking at some new reference shots I have and found this one of N7654C as she is now in the Pensacola Naval Museum. It is a font of info - for example the seat is green, not black as I have done it, the headrest has what looks like a storage door and an air vent - all of which needs sorting out..

(posted under fair use.. credit Steve Muth)

WIP1171_zps3r3aa72m.jpg

..first up was to mark out a template for the panels on the headrest (after pulling off the armour mount I thought was on there..)..

WIP1168_zps1qefcuap.jpg

..I also made the air vent by pushing a dome into a bit of wine foil and filling it with CA, making a tiny fluted vent from ali tube, and a small mounting plate from litho..

WIP1169_zpsmh3ebfyc.jpg

..and the finished bulkhead (just needs a hole I also saw that I missed) and then painting - going to have to practice weathering to get the bleached out look of the original..

WIP1170_zpsjpiswlya.jpg

WIP1172_zpsncggzwth.jpg

looking forward to repainting the seat next..

WIP1173_zpsmmqbd0ab.jpg

..it feels good to be back :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 12

I'd love to know the same thing regulus is asking.

It's great to have you back mate. I really love the work you've done to the cockpit. I actually think your cockpit work is even better than the rest of the build and that's saying something because the rest of the build is pretty damn perfect. A masterclass in modelling right here, love it!

• Like 1

Glad to see you've been able to pick things up again, most of all that you're enjoying it. I'm sure there's not a person watching who doesn't go through blocks from time to time. Stunning work so far on that cockpit Peter :)

• Like 1

Welcome back Peter,

Good to see you back at the bench and as Woody says we all loose the mojo now and then !

Your cockpit is looking brilliant the details really bring it to life.

Looking forward to more progress.

Guy

• Like 1

evening (again) folks :)

time to repaint the seat etc (to look knackered - thats a technical term..) I googled the hairspray tecnique and found a few helpful vids..

..so, I shot the parts in silver, then got some cheap hairspray and decanted it for the airbrush - shot a layer of that and then shot this layer of home brew zinc chromate..

WIP1174_zpsvcprsqfd.jpg

..then wet the acrylic a bit and went at it with a stiff paintbrush - i tried a few things to break up the surface actually.. also put a bit of masking down to try and get some remnants where there are different panels..

WIP1175_zpsawy5ktxa.jpg

..once I was happy I shot some non acrylic varnish (actually metal primer - it was all I had..) to protect the worn stuff, and another coat of hairspray..

WIP1176_zpsgflqvg0e.jpg

..and after doing the same with the interior green and a bit of weathering I had a pretty worn out looking seat..

WIP1177_zpsjq29so4p.jpg

..not sure if I have overdone it (I think the real skill in weathering is knowing when to stop...).. but certainly the floor in N7654C was worn to bare metal virtually everywhere that was exposed..

WIP1179_zpsjvx28hgc.jpg

WIP1178_zps0fvuzka6.jpg

..good fun, learnt something new and a good tonic to get me back at the bench :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 14