1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

Peter,

Thank you for the link above for Radder's photos from the show. So much fine work (especially in the Breguet 941S). I found that scratch-build at:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78929&sid=bcb40654aec69ebee5e5d1c1b424ba1f

...and enjoyed the technique shared there as well. A different approach to the same hobby and with equally excellent results!

Welcome home and enjoy a breather. I should really be getting back to work on my own stuff and posting that.

Cheers!

PR

• Like 1

Great pics that Tiger looks awesome on its legs !

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

..I have also the mild distraction of doing a whole new range of cockpit instrumentation & placards/dataplates for Modern Jets - I was asked so many times at Telford I overcame my ambivalence to things without props and have wholeheartedly thrown myself into research & artwork - hope to have something out in the New Year..

Peter

Is it too late to put in a plea to include some modern helicopters too? There is a big overlap with jets, but not 100%, and boy would they be useful for us wobbleheads

• Like 4

Is it too late to put in a plea to include some modern helicopters too? There is a big overlap with jets, but not 100%, and boy would they be useful for us wobbleheads

I like that - "woobleheads". Fly Lynx, eh, Ex? I flew Whookie-Twooks myself... (H-2's)

Cheers!

Robert

• Like 2

I like that - "woobleheads". Fly Lynx, eh, Ex? I flew Whookie-Twooks myself... (H-2's)

Cheers!

Robert

Lynx & Sea Kings, almost exactly the same hours on each type. Twooks; cool aircraft, but I never had the pleasure.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, especially Peter,

This is I think, my first post after Telford. Seeing the Tigercat, alongside Iains amazing Connie was highpoint of Telford for me. cannot wait to see this progress! I also want to thank Peter in public for being so generous both with his time and his products on Saturday, it was mch appreciated!

Cheers

Viv

• Like 1

Viv,

I will second that sentiment! Indeed, many, many thanks to Peter for sharing his time and experience with us here.

I too have been following Iain's work on the Connie -- equally inspirational and enjoyed by me!

Merry Christmas All,

PR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like a faithful old dog who keeps coming back to the door to see if his master has come home...

Okay, just thought I'd poke my head-in to say that we're still here. I hope that Telford yielded a lot of new work (and orders)!

Happy Hanukkah and best wishes for a Joyous Noel!

• Like 1

Seasons Greetings folks :)

I wish I had a load of pics of progress on the F7F, but the sad truth is I haven't done ANYTHING on it since Telford...

I have been flat out on a range of new products as the show and feedback I got inspired me to up and do something so I signed up for a Coreldraw subscription and have been banging away making up new Photo-Etch & Instrument decals

If only to show I have been doing something, here are a few pics...

1/32 & 1/48 Modern Jets PE - instrument decals coming

AS32%20MOD%20Packaging_zpslmqjlexg.jpg

..all the old Airfix 1/24 kits get new PE Instrument Panels and decals like these..

Spit%20prototype_zps8lzhoxz1.jpg

Mustang%20prototype_zps5bjwvfyn.jpg

..I am about 80% done..

..one day very soon I will sit again at my bench and just pick something up and the whole rush towards the finish will start all over again - just too much going on at present

Thank you PR for asking - I meant to drop in a few times and at least say hello :)

see you soon and I know as soon as this lot are finalised & done I will be right back in the groove..

Peter

• Like 10

By the way folks, I ordered some Airscale decals from Peter and they are gorgeous. Really, really nice. I also ordered some 1/32 instrument bezels and I am looking forward to the arrival of those!

P.S. Peter, the 1/32 P-61 could do with a nice A/B type instrument panel upgrade *insert cheeky grin here*

• Like 1

..got the master done fine, but I am now on my eighth attempt now - I just can't get it right - I tried the sheet under the grill & got bubbles in it so must be getting too hot, too quickly or something, tried the oven and I get creases so not hot enough - each time I somehow damage the master as the hot sheet seems to bubble the mr surfacer so I am getting well and truly cross now BANGHEAD2.jpg

Hi Peter, You would get better results from resin copies of your master, it's a simple process and you can polish the resin plug to a high shine.

Forgot to add - fantastic work!

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 1

Yes indeed, one of our club members was a professional model maker although retired now, and used to make 1/24 scale aircraft such as the Hawker Sea fury, and I am sure he used to use 2 part epoxy clear resin in a silicone mould, I will have to ask him and pick his brains

Ripmax do a 'Glass Coat' 2 part clear epoxy that is used for coating flying models but it is OK for moulding canopies. It has a very low viscosity but it does damage the mould after just a few castings. I'll look up the product name later, I don't use it anymore, since making a vacuum chamber I now use clear polyurethane

• Like 1

Peter,

Thanks for posting your latest offerings in the wake of Telford! I had a feeling show requests would be keeping you busy...

Question: Did you create the cockpit scene artwork? ("Jet Cockpit Upgrade" shown above)

I have been using the CorelDraw suite since v5 and still drive v10. (Ancient I know) If you did the cockpit artwork, did you do it in vector or as a raster piece in Photo Paint? (Just curious)

Cheers!

PR

• Like 1

Yes indeed, one of our club members was a professional model maker although retired now, and used to make 1/24 scale aircraft such as the Hawker Sea fury, and I am sure he used to use 2 part epoxy clear resin in a silicone mould, I will have to ask him and pick his brains

Would that be Peter Cooke? If so, I have been an admirer of his work since it appeared years ago in the pages of Aeroplane Monthly (or perhaps Scale Models) and subsequently in two books. Scratch Building and The Master Scratch Builders. His work was something to behold.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year All!

Yes, I am still checking-in, in anticipation of the Firecat getting another engine and other bits and bobbles.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and enjoys an awesome and blessed 2016!

Cheers,

PR

• Like 3

Seasons Greetings folks :)

I wish I had a load of pics of progress on the F7F, but the sad truth is I haven't done ANYTHING on it since Telford...

I have been flat out on a range of new products as the show and feedback I got inspired me to up and do something so I signed up for a Coreldraw subscription and have been banging away making up new Photo-Etch & Instrument decals

If only to show I have been doing something, here are a few pics...

1/32 & 1/48 Modern Jets PE - instrument decals coming

AS32%20MOD%20Packaging_zpslmqjlexg.jpg

..all the old Airfix 1/24 kits get new PE Instrument Panels and decals like these..

Spit%20prototype_zps8lzhoxz1.jpg

Mustang%20prototype_zps5bjwvfyn.jpg

..I am about 80% done..

..one day very soon I will sit again at my bench and just pick something up and the whole rush towards the finish will start all over again - just too much going on at present

Thank you PR for asking - I meant to drop in a few times and at least say hello :)

see you soon and I know as soon as this lot are finalised & done I will be right back in the groove..

Peter

Fantastic on the modern jet PE details. Something that is needed. Now here is a question. Are you going to do Japanese instrument decals? l find l may be in need of those. All the new Airfix 1/24 get PE sets as well...does that include the 109?

Edited by hacker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

phew! hi folks smile.png

well - I am so sorry, I must have missed you dropping in - truth is for 2 months I have not been at the bench at all to work on the Tigercat..

it is all down to a mad period in being creative and mastering the artwork programmes to become self-sufficient in PE and decal design..

I glanced forlornly at my bench many times but just couldn't get started due to the big ideas I had about new ranges taking up all my time.. so anyways this is where I am at..

New PE panels and bespoke colour instrument one-piece panels for 1/24 Airfix Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, Bf109E, Ju 87, Fw190, Trumpeter Me109G & Kinetic P47...

WIP1161_zps6unxjskw.jpg

New decals in 1/32 and 1/48 for Modern Jet Instruments and modern Jet Placards & Ejector Seats, plus PE components, bezels & MFD's in both scales...

WIP1163_zpscuimnjx6.jpg

..the Jet PE is already out, the rest will follow in February, and I have to say I am exhausted coolio.gif

...anyways, today... I went to the bench, tidied it and sat and stared.......

WIP1160_zpsmvhnql5v.jpg

..where to start?

Vacform the canopy to get it right this time - hmm, nope could be frustrating..

Start the elevators, flaps, ailerons...

carry on with the main U/C bays - I was doing the bulkheads I recall..

repair the damage from the shelf collapse... hmm, not very inspiring..

start the tailskid area - may be a good little starter area to get me going...

start the rudder pedals in the cockpit - love cockpits, could be a good one..

start the props - hmmm, might want to get another 3D software trial to do that and I have had enough of designing for now..

start the exposed engine - hmmm, got to be done, but now?

choices, choices.. either way, I am determined I will do something today and I know as soon as I do I will be back in the groove...

great to be back, and thanks for looking out for me..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13