1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

Excellent work Peter, very ambitious, but an interesting idea, using a paper kit as a starting point.

With regard to the nose gear bay, could you build a 'dummy bay' the same size as the nose gear bay, and then re-cast the lower half as a solid using the 'dummy bay' to create the space for the gear bay by suspending it in the mould same as you did with the master to make the lower nose hollow. (As a bonus this would mean a solid nose giving more weight at the front) Then once the lower nose was fitted and faired in to the main fuselage you could build the 'real' nose gear bay as a separate item off the model and then insert it into the aperture in the new nose?

Hope that made sense!

Cheers

Al

• Like 1

thank you chaps & evening all :)

so the 'cat and I made it to Telford & back unscathed - it was great to meet so many people and talk about what I had been up to on this rollercoaster build..

I picked up a lorry load of supplies - lots of card, brass, rod, resin etc etc and spent way more than I should have so I damn well better finish this one!

so, as I left it last I was working out what to do about the nosewheel bay - I decided to detail the interior and then fix the casting for the final shaping work - first step in the process was getting the casting in a fit state to get the layout of the gear doors and internal bulheads sorted..

..the casting is slightly off centre laterally so first thing was marking out the centreline - i find this easiest by taping cotton to known points and using the Mk. 1 eyeball..

WIP175_zps73c27f5a.jpg

..all the plans I can find are wrong for the layout of the doors so I measured and scaled from photographs to draw out a paper template...

WIP176_zpsd3c0a255.jpg

..after marking out, I rough cut the shape, being careful not to snap the sides as the narrowest point is quite weak...

WIP177_zps867c5f98.jpg

..I refined the shape and ground out the inside surfaces to thin them to near scale (while wearing a mask...)

WIP178_zpsa787e0f6.jpg

WIP179_zpsac46512f.jpg

..shot a coat of primer to see where I need to even out some divots & bumps...

WIP180_zpsa1527701.jpg

..the basic form is coming together...

WIP182_zps13230789.jpg

WIP181_zpsa27261ac.jpg

still really enjoying myself, and having nearly splurged on a Kinetic 1/24 P47 at Telford to get the engine to make copies of, I came home to a welcome email from a hugely generous LSP member offering me loan of the parts from their kit :thumbsup:

happy days

TTFN
Peter

• Like 6

Peter, you beast! You are wailing away on it wonderfully. Thanks for sharing your trials & tribulations, mate. I can only imagine the final outcome...

Your "little" experiment to solve the 'oil canning' you were experiencing has given me some great ideas - there are several models I'd like to do that I already have in paper kits that could very well carry over to plastic card, or I could simply 'treat' the paper (Ken West's 1/48 scale XB-70 is one in my queue that could benefit from your 'findings'.) Trick I suppose is to determine the right amount of foam for the volume to be filled - but what a great strong structure you have at the end. I've seen others use a 'piercing wire' during the foam's expansion to keep it flowing to the vent.

Very nice work on the nose, too.

[i'm thinking of using rice to fill the voids as a close measure of volume, and a test pour to see what kind of expansion ratio the foam has so I can match the amounts more precisely.. of course, going into it with the intention of using this method makes it so much easier to address the challenge!]

Regards, Robert

• Like 1

[i'm thinking of using rice to fill the voids as a close measure of volume

Robert - thanks for dropping in - that is an inspired tip! I often wondered how to work out the volume of shapes I am casting / working with so I don't needlessly use rubber or resin, I tried all sorts of mathematical calculations allowing for curves & displacement and gave myself quite a headache - now I know that I can just use rice! Brilliant!

This is an absolutely brilliant thread, you're doing an incredible job, looking forward to seeing more !

I had thought of using card models before for a similar job but never had the guts to start, I'm glad to see someone is doing it

Thanks Giorgio - I say go for it.. the thing with card is there are LOADS of models that just are not available in larger scales - Hampden, Blenheim, Do17, Vulcan (yes Vulcan) and a myriad inbetween..

so, on to another little postette... today was about the nosewheel bay... I have very few clear references for this (hint..plea for help...) but this one gives me an idea of what is needed..

WIP189_zpsd36445fe.jpg

first up, getting a basic roof panel to work on... I put a bit of card in place and drew the outline of the casting that sits on top of it...

WIP183_zpsd2f79628.jpg

..then I drew out the main details on the part - where the wheel retracts there is a pressed aluminium panel with a depression in it - the shape doesn't seem to relate to the wheel / tyre size but nonetheless it's there..

I made a plunge mould (top right) and taped a bit of card sheet to a thicker sheet with a long slot cut out of it (top left) - I held it over the stove and pressed the two together...

WIP184_zps6cbb4576.jpg

..it worked first time which was a bonus - I cut the part shape from the sheet and added some decal rivets...

WIP185_zps4bd6d868.jpg

..fitted the pressing part and started to build up some of the details from card, brass & rivets...

WIP186_zps80332262.jpg

...also routed out a little slot in the nose so it all sits flat on the nose casting - I have some tube/rod on order to start building the noseleg and will set a tube at the right angle at the front where the brass part ends so the leg can just slot into it..

WIP187_zpsb48b761f.jpg

..and checking it still all fits within the lower casting...

WIP188_zps04d72807.jpg

..until next time, thats it for now

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8

Excellent stuff peter, it was nice to chat to you at Telford, as you were kind enough to give me one of your seconds etch instrument bezels, I like the idea of using Halfords filler primer, may get some of this stuff for my vacs

Peter, the 'dimple' in the nose gear bay roof may be for clearance of some part of the gear other than the wheel, or it may be a 'brake' plate, shaped so it rubs on the tire's sidewalls slightly when the gear is raised to bring the wheel to a stop... without too much 'erosion' of the rubber. Again, really nice!

Regards, Robert

• 2 weeks later...

thank you chaps - very kind to drop in and leave a note of encouragement :thumbsup:

so, a little progress

I have been very fortunate to have been helped out by Ray Peterson (LSP_Ray) over on LSP who in an act of great kindness sent me the engine parts from his 1/24 Kinetic P47 so I can have a bash at casting a couple of copies to hang on the wings of my Tigercat.

..these are one-piece mouldings of each cylinder bank and are a perfect basis for what I have planned - I just want to make sure I am very careful so I can return them in flawless condition. I spent a while thinking about how best to do it and decided on open moulds I can pour into and create 'halves' of each bank. The problem with this approach is that there will be seam lines on the very fine cylinder finning detail but to be honest I can't think of another way...

so lets see how it went..

..first bank was set in shallow plasticine...

WIP191_zpsab3cd0b8.jpg

...poured that mould & turned it over to capture the back face...

WIP192_zps16db27eb.jpg

..same for the other bank of cylinders..

WIP193_zpse7f4f848.jpg

..over a couple of days I got the four mould sections completed...

WIP194_zps4ff3cb04.jpg

..the Sylmasta stuff I use captures detail perfectly.. (I took the precaution of adding locating pins to the mould in case I have to fallback on putting the moulds together and casting the cylinder blocks as a one part casting..)...

WIP195_zpsf28006fd.jpg

..the first couple of pours looked ok - a few bubbles but its really all about the cylinders & they look fine...

WIP196_zpse0157259.jpg

..cleaned up the mating faces..

WIP197_zps28f8537f.jpg

WIP198_zps25eff66a.jpg

..now I have to say the jury is out on whether I do it this way - there are seams, and I am not too happy with how they dry fit as it is impossible to get the mating faces the same as the way the parts were split in the mould..

WIP199_zps8673789a.jpg

..maybe I might do it a cylinder at a time, maybe I will try casting half the complete part across it's lateral mid-point - I really don't know..

..that said, I did say at the start of this build that it was a bit of an experiment so I should not get too hung up on perfection & just press on or I will never get it finished...

thats it for now & thanks again to Ray for the parts loan :D

TTFN
Peter

• Like 5

Fabulous work Peter.Your resin moulding has been very impressive.

I'm working on a smaller scale (1/48), and have a problem. I can't find any reference as to the attachment points of the wing jury struts. Do your plans give any clues?

Cheers

Dave

IMHO the easiest way to deal with the engine would be to cast the cylinders individually. Of course the engine block would need casting separately, as one or two parts.

Casting with an open side is always going to create tricky mating surfaces

Mind, a lot depends on how much will be visible of the engines ! If you're leaving them in the closed cowlings then I believer you could get away with what you already have...

IMHO the easiest way to deal with the engine would be to cast the cylinders individually. Of course the engine block would need casting separately, as one or two parts.

Casting with an open side is always going to create tricky mating surfaces

Mind, a lot depends on how much will be visible of the engines ! If you're leaving them in the closed cowlings then I believer you could get away with what you already have...

thats a good point Giorgio

..now I have started to look closely at what a P&W 2800 looks like, I can see that the kit parts from the Kinetic P47 are really only a rough approximation of the real thing.. plus I realised any seams will be well hidden in amongst all the engine gubbins..

WIP200_zpsac7196e3.jpg

bits I have noticed are the cylinder shape is wrong, the real one has a narrow base, the heads are wrong as they are curved when the real one is a sort of lop-sided vee shape, the exhaust ports at the back are a fiction compared to their location on the real thing... so a few things to think about..

I have decided I will use casts of the kit cylinders up the the mid-point and scratch build new heads - basically the part in the yellow box below...

WIP201_zps8aab421b.jpg

..I am going to try laminating brass sheet and plastic card and then shape it and make new detailed parts for the two housings...

then I can just cast all the heads and graft them onto the kit cast cylinders - thats the plan anyway coolio.gif

back soon

Peter

• Like 1

May be wrong but I believe the Tigercat used a later version of the R-2800 than the Thunderbolt, this may explain the differences.

If you'r scratchbuilding the cylinder head, you may cast one cylinder, add the new head to this and use it as a master for the other cylinders. Same for the engine block, you can modify one and then use the modified part as a master. It's going to be a long and boring exercise but you'll have masters for some future builds of other aircrafts with the same engine