1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

I think we need a new superlative when dealing with Peter's threads. I suggest "Pffffffffff!", because words often fail me. :worthy: Maybe you should consider purchasing the domain lithomodeller.com? :lol:

• Like 3

Superb !! :thumbsup:

I'm running out of superlatives to.

Guy

• Like 1

I think we need a new superlative when dealing with Peter's threads. I suggest "Pffffffffff!", because words often fail me. :worthy: Maybe you should consider purchasing the domain lithomodeller.com? :lol:

I think we need some sort of super-human smiley!

• Like 2

evening folks :)

thanks for your kind words

Peter,

Thank you for the more detailed (blow-by-blow) photos of this sub-assembly. One question though, how are you realizing the placards and stencils? Are these decals you've produced? Curious on how you create those...

PR

Thanks PR - all the placards are from my own airscale range - available here - even I get impressed when I blow up pictures and can read them - a testament to Ray at Fantasy Printshop..

another little bit of the story - this time rudder pedals..

..here is one - I wish I had included it on the PE I did a while back as it has a neat little Grumman logo which would have been nice to include. As it is, I can see it is ribbed, has some sort of horn off out to a piston and actually in cross section is curved..

WIP1238_zpsnn3yuplb.jpg

.. I started by laminating four bits of plastic card, drilling a hole so I could pin them and keep alignment while I shaped them..

WIP1239_zpstj1lvpzu.jpg

..to get the ribbed effect I tried scoring a bit of litho with different blades and onto different surfaces - I settled for scoring from the back with a blunt compass on to a cutting mat...

WIP1240_zps7trlg4ba.jpg

..made up the parts to start assembly..

WIP1241_zpsl84cogxq.jpg

..again, using a pin to help with alignment, the assembly starts...

WIP1242_zps0rxcgl0s.jpg

..soon had two rudder pedals... the ribbing is a bit agricultural in close-up but I can live with it..

WIP1243_zpsosmntcbh.jpg

..I shaped some scrap sprue to represent the horns seen on each pedal and added a bolt to each the will fit to the piston..

WIP1244_zpsnuan9bmp.jpg

WIP1245_zpsetvjg1du.jpg

..and primered with a pair of size 10 flying boots...

WIP1247_zpshhqvwuqe.jpg

..got a bit more to do on the whole assembly and pistons etc - then I have to figure out how to fit it into the cockpit..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 15

evening folks :)

time for another little updatette..

..I finished the rudder assembly - the bits needed were the frames seen either side of the pedal and the actuator piston. The pics below show the frame is a folded sheet pressing with some fittings and an adjustment lever on the outboard frame only..

WIP1248_zpsnnhvwwcn.jpg

..I started by working out what the shape would be if I 'unfolded' the frame and then laminated some sheet so I could get them all the same shape, size and get the holes in the same place on all - here I have finished working them and have peeled off the top sheet..

WIP1249_zpsupdycteo.jpg

..and after folding them up into the frames..

WIP1250_zpsyxowrkey.jpg

..added the parts needed to detail them..

WIP1251_zps8gr4pd7x.jpg

..and assembled with the rudder pedals - an axle links all the parts together...

WIP1252_zps9ndgyosw.jpg

..the pistons were made with brass and ali tube, drilled to take some lead wire with scale hardware nuts...

WIP1253_zpslnyodd5s.jpg

..I added a wire loop at the top to mount the pistons to the frames - this won't be seen when they are fitted in the cockpit..

WIP1254_zpsb4uml4nz.jpg

..painted & chipped - the parts are pretty much done..

WIP1256_zpsjw08q21w.jpg

WIP1255_zps5nfua9g5.jpg

..and roughly where they will sit in the cockpit...

WIP1257_zpsxqvmfec6.jpg

..thats it for today - again a good few hours for some tiny little bits no-one will ever see...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 15

Nice work on the pedal assemblies at least you know they are in there (and us lot !).

Guy

• Like 1