1/24 scale Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

evening folks :)

thank you for all your kind words - very much appreciated and makes me want to do my absolute best for you..

..I have spent about 2 days fiddling about getting not very far in trying to mount a plinth the instrument panel and lower panel mount to - the plinth is easy enough, but the three dimensional geometry has had me tied in knots for a bit..

..still, all sorted now...

..also noticed on a pic of N7654C from Pensacola that the panel has an upper section that I missed earlier - it was sort of invisible in the other reference pics I had..

...it is very plain and just a blank really with what looks like a blanking plate on it..

..there is also a lower shroud that goes between the upper & lower panel, so made both from litho...

WIP1218_zpssxzybso8.jpg

WIP1219_zpscuivdrsx.jpg

..adding this part leaves a hole where some sort of avionic was fitted once - it is a hole in the period pic too - you can see the artificial horizon instrument body through it...(you can also see why I missed the top part of the panel - I can still barely see it..)

WIP1227_zpseydskfzy.jpg

..I added some instrument bodies from tube and used an old bit of PE I actually had made for a Sea Fury vent, chopped about to be the bracket for the missing avionics...

WIP1221_zpsecrfzve0.jpg

..hopefully you can see the parts in these pics..

WIP1222_zpsexbylvic.jpg

WIP1220_zpsrsfckpbs.jpg

..and then sat on the plinth (that slides onto a brass tube mount) - still a bit wonky but will be fine when it's glued.. (oh and yes the seat does fit...... well it does now anyway hehe...)

WIP1225_zpszjob99mv.jpg

WIP1223_zpsniyqn530.jpg

WIP1224_zpsapjhavyg.jpg

WIP1226_zpsnk7dar7i.jpg

..and thats it for now..

hope to get a bit more done tomorrow :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 14

Peter, where did you find that huge pin ? :lol:

It is just a tent pole stabbed into one of those "exercise ball" thingys that people lean backwards over! ;-)

..adding this part leaves a hole where some sort of avionic was fitted once

WIP1220_zpsrsfckpbs.jpg

Crikey, that panel looks superb. Difficult to see that it is a model. Great modelling work indeed!

I wonder if the missing instrument is either the transponder or a radio?

Edited by hairystick
  • Like 1

okay...after 4 hours of reading this.

Humbled - check

Impressed - check

Keep asking what scale is this again? - check

Is this a model? - check

Just amazing work and a real class on how to do some different work/techniques.

Thank you,

foresterab

• Like 1

BRAVO!!!!

I just love the crispness of detail you achieve in this build -- it FAR surpasses most (if not all) provided in injection moulded kits. Glad that you're having fun with it; I'm having a great time following you.

Now if only I had time to work on my own projects. (Have been hunkered down with work for a while now)

There's always hope!

Cheers,

PR

• Like 1

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !

This was my reaction about your instrument panel ..... which is ..... WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW !

Sorry ...

• Like 1

Very nice work Peter actually it's awesome !

I wonder if the missing avionics is the arming panel when it was in military service the radio would be in the left ( starboard ) side panel originally

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

thank you folks - very kind :)

I think the hole in the panel is what is left of a hole that went right across the top of the main panel that held what I think was a slide out map table - thats what is in the manual anyway - this bird must have been modified in civvie service,,,

so todays installment is a Sunday Special where I got a good 4 hours at the bench - although to look at it, it is just one more little part towards that day a long way away when I finish this model...

here is todays target.. it's a little pressed panel which has the engine ignition and undercarriage controls... on the left a composite from the manual, on the right N7654C...

WIP1228_zpszxt0jxbe.jpg

..the key here is it's a pressed panel with a curved edge so that takes a bit more work.. I started by making a paper template...

WIP1229_zpsodfkovrk.jpg

..then in the top pic you can see the template transferred to thick plastic card - this is what will be used to shape some litho plate around - the edges have been rounded to help with the shaping. I chose litho rather than plunge forming it from plastic because as natural metal it is easier to weather later on.. so I cut a small piece and annealed it over the gas stove..

..the bottom pic is setting the bits up on a foam sanding pad so I can grip them in pliers and start to bend the litho around the form..

WIP1230_zpsych2920d.jpg

...now the part has been worked around the template and roughly cut out - the folded parts are tucked up right around the part and the template is still inside..

WIP1231_zpsfbhxbuc2.jpg

..I have marked out and drilled where the slot and holes go, and started filing off the waste at the back to get a nice straight edge..once i had finished I ran some thick CA around the back of the lip to support it...(annealed metal is pretty soft...)...

WIP1232_zpsevwv3lyl.jpg

..I made up all the tiny parts that form the features of the panel - there are a couple of airscale PE parts in there - a bezel and a part from the detail set which I used as it had a nice neat slot in it so I repurposed it..

WIP1233_zpswrtcdvyl.jpg

..most of the parts assembled for painting...

WIP1234_zpsvqn8s68b.jpg

..and checking it works when attatched to the side panel..

WIP1235_zpsmeuglclh.jpg

..after painting and addition of some of our airscale 1/24 placards... amazing they can be read and are perfect for this :) .also a bit of light weathering - just chipping back to the metal..

WIP1236_zpsbjzfelyo.jpg

..and how it will look when fixed..

WIP1237_zpsfhbkg9lb.jpg

..and thats it - another days modelling - building an F7F literally one bit at a time...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 18

Peter,

Thank you for the more detailed (blow-by-blow) photos of this sub-assembly. One question though, how are you realizing the placards and stencils? Are these decals you've produced? Curious on how you create those...

PR

• Like 1

Well Peter once again I am stunned! The funny thing with you decals is, even in 1/32nd they are still readable under a magnifying glass! The quality really is excellent! Just like all your work really.

• Like 1